User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
SparkyZA OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
2015 Amageza Rallye (southern Africa): 28 Aug - 5 Sept

This is the first of a number of updates regarding the 2015 Amageza Rallye. With this being the 5th year of the rally, it will traverse 4000 km (2500 miles) over 7 race stages, through the most spectacular African terrain through South Africa and Botswana. Besides the challenge of rocks, sand, heat and navigation through long unpopulated bush veld, competitors will also be routing alongside world renown big-5 wildlife territory.

The Race Director, Alexander Nel, and the recce team are still in Botswana, so we'll be looking at a further update detailing the bivouac towns and support team routes by early May.

The four key points to note:

- We will be starting and ending in Kimberley (South Africa) this year. The Northern Cape regional tourism body is assisting in arranging a great venue, and lots of local support.

- We have decided to save the inclusion of Namibia for 2016/17. There is just too much spectacular terrain and wildlife for us to see in Botswana this year, to try and squeeze Namibia into the route... We won't be able to do Namibia justice this year. One less border crossing for a 7-day rally will also be welcome for all - particularly teams and competitors.

- You will note that we have not listed quads in the category of rally vehicles as yet. We are still working on including the quad guys... it is 90% achieved, but will only be able to 100% confirm in May.

- This is an introductory year for the inclusion of rally cars (hence the depiction of general images of rally cars, in the document below). During 2014 the Amageza Rallye enjoyed 78 rallye bike entrants, and one light 2-seater buggy. This test proved very successful. We're looking forward to welcoming 100 motorcycles/quads, and 20 cars in 2015.

-----------

International Team/Competitors:

Due to the interest of rally competitors and teams from Europe and Australia, subsidised freight packages for competitors/teams coming from there have been arranged via our official 2015 Amageza Rallye freight partner, JK Kok Logistics. They will be providing freight from both Rotterdam and Perth, and can assist with crating of the vehicles if required.

So bearing in mind that a consignment contains 4 rally bikes (not less or more), the freight cost estimate from Rotterdam to Johannesburg, and return from Durban to Rotterdam, would be:

(These are quoted in the local South African currency... the current exchange rate is: 0.077 Euros to 1 Rand, and 0.11 Australia Dollar to 1 Rand)

1. Team supplies their bikes to Rotterdam, without crates:
- Import: is R 55 753.78
- Export: is R 20 061.52
Equals: R 75 815.30 (excluding VAT, or any additional cost due to the carnet inspection)
or R 18 953.83 per bike

2. Team supplies bikes to Rotterdam, in their own crates, with fumigation certificates:
- Import: R 55 753.78 (minus the packing & crating cost of R 28 441.85) is R 27 311.93
- Export: is R 20 061.52
Equals: R 47 373.45 (excluding VAT, or any additional cost due to the carnet inspection)
or R 11 843.37 per bike

And the freight cost for 4 rally bikes from Perth to Johannesburg, and return from Durban to Perth, would be:

3. Team supplies their bikes to Perth, without crates:
- Import: is R 62 236.27
- Export: is R 17 080.16
Equals: R 79 316.43 (excluding VAT, or any additional cost due to the carnet inspection)
or R 19 829.11 per bike

4. Team supplies bikes to Perth, in their own crates, with fumigation certificates:
- Import: R 62 236.27 (minus the packing & crating cost of R 31 297.35) is R 30 938.92
- Export: is R 17 080.16
Equals: R 48 019.08 (excluding VAT, or any additional cost due to the carnet inspection)
or R 12 004.77 per bike

VAT is 14% of the total invoice, and any additional cost for carnet inspection should not exceed R 1 000.

The dates when teams/competitors much drop off their bikes/crates in Rotterdam or Perth will be confirmed shortly.

---------

Track Recording System

To maintain the low cost of participation, all competitors will need to use the Garmin etrax 10 for the recording of their tracks - this device is super cheap, very durable, perfectly setup for our needs, and is simple to use/read (for waypoints, heading etc).

I will answer any questions regarding what is required for competitors to have on their rally bike in the next update.

---------

From the Recce Team

Some important information from Alexander Nel and the recce team:
- Navigation is very challenging this year
- Botswana has long stages without any sign of civilisation (and no fences)
- Besides every kind of terrain you could think of, there are also beautiful expanses of Kalahari desert dunes
- Competitors will need to keep an eye out for the game... everything, including the big-5
- There will possibly be two marathon stages this year
- The recce team is plotting the route so that teams will be able to route to bivouacs using main roads

This is probably one of the most cost-effective international rallies worldwide. And the only rally I know of where you can race for 4000 km alongside the world's big-5 wildlife.

Two things I seriously advise competitors to bring...
- Arm protectors against thorn bushes (for the bike riders) would be handy for at least two of the stages, and
- An action camera, since your friends and family are just not going to believe your stories.

Visit www.amageza.com for the full entry details.

I'll will post a further update in the next few weeks.

Cheers,
Wayne
SparkyZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:49 AM   #2
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Wayne, are stillages ok as opposed to crates?

Presumably etrex 20 or 30 will also be ok since they are effectively the same unit, just with enhanced functionality?

What is the safety provision for the event? Helicopters under the control of the race director or other?

Mike_MRS screwed with this post 04-16-2015 at 03:06 AM
Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:15 AM   #3
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 983
Etrex 20 and 30 not allowed. Looks like they might supply the GPSs, we'll see. I've already got a 10 from the previous 2 races.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:41 AM   #4
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Seems odd Bill, it's the same unit basically. Do you happen to know why?

Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:08 AM   #5
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

It could as simple as he had to nominate a number of specific units to FIM and those were it. But I believe, specifically with the 30, that you could verify the route via google earth by checking the roadbook, create it on basecamp and upload it as a track.

But I'm the wrong guy to ask. If they say use an eTrex 10, I get it and use it. They throw a race, I race it to their specification. Makes my life really simple.

For what its worth, up to now I've been using a Garmin GPS V for the CAP, now I need to go and buy a ICO Rallye CAP that does the same thing. One was for free, the other is $500.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:00 AM   #6
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
Any ideas if a CARNET is required for EU bike visitors?

(ps. great informative post!!)
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Any ideas if a CARNET is required for EU bike visitors?

(ps. great informative post!!)
Do you know Simon Schimmel? He raced last year and I believe he is bringing a bike across this year. Maybe he knows?
Old 04-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
SparkyZA OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
Do you know Simon Schimmel? He raced last year and I believe he is bringing a bike across this year. Maybe he knows?
Correct. I believe he has already booked for 4 bikes coming from Rotterdam.

But, yes... You will need to have arranged for a carnet for customs.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
SparkyZA OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_MRS View Post
Wayne, are stillages ok as opposed to crates?

Presumably etrex 20 or 30 will also be ok since they are effectively the same unit, just with enhanced functionality?

What is the safety provision for the event? Helicopters under the control of the race director or other?
Have checked with our freight partners... a stillage is acceptable as long as it complies with standard international freight regulations.

Race Control have set the Etrax 10 as the single standard device for the 2015 rally. There are some functions within the 20 and 30 that could provide a competitor with an unfair advantage. I am not aware what these are... but has been the ruling. The Etrax 10 is also by far the cheapest option.

The 2015 Amageza Rallye is run under the MSA (Motorsport South Africa) regulations and event standing requirements. MSA is the southern African representative to all FIM and FIA international event that are held in the region. They provide guidelines on the high level of medical support at the rally, and the medical evacuation. The event will provide for the necessary helicopter evac facilities necessary for an international motorsport event of this nature. Please contact MSA at http://www.motorsport.co.za if there is anything specific you'd like to query.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:08 AM   #10
SteveDennehy
Steve

Oddometer: 247
Some random images from the stage 2 route recce

Start of the Stage 2 Special. Off the tar and straight up a dune! Ashley Baud gave me this nice MX shirt wich is now torn to shreds courtesy of thorn trees and rider fatigue after getting lost hunting non-existant trails.

Riding up to tell John Lanham we were 40km away from the actual route start.

Kitting up on the road-side. In 30 minutes the only vehicle that passed was a donkey car!

Food of kings! Baked beans with meat balls and instant mash!

John Lanham enjoying his 1 course meal!
SteveDennehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:12 AM   #11
SteveDennehy
Steve

Posted on FB by Guillaume Martens, one of our international riders from Amageza 2014

For all the rally fans who want to enjoy two spectacular countries, South Africa and Botswana, while enjoying their mind-blowing hobby...
Last years Amageza was an unbelievable beautiful race, this years edition sounds even better.
Just a small piece of the email of the amageza marketing manager:
"As a side note: Last week Alexander and John found some epic routes through the Northern Cape towards Botswana, while observing giraffe, zebra and springbok. The area they are heading into southern Botswana is know for two things... Lots of dunes, and desert lions. Also, the Botswana people are incredibly fanatical rally fans, so we will be expecting many spectators at the spectator friendly points."
If this doesn't sound good, then you're probably very spoiled.

....have a look at their homepage:
http://www.amageza.com
nnd FaceBook page:
https://www.facebook.com/amageza.rallye
Old 04-17-2015, 03:28 AM   #12
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
I'll be seriously disappointed if I dont see lions

Pepperspray comes in gallons, right?
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:47 AM   #13
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
I'll be seriously disappointed if I dont see lions

Pepperspray comes in gallons, right?
How do you know there are desert lions in the vicinity? When you find a heap of shit and it smells like pepper spray.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #14
SteveDennehy
Steve

Only one lady has ever finished Amageza. Rynet did it in 2011 (I think?) and 2012 (definitely, and on a R1200GS!)

In 2013 and 2014 we didn't have any lady riders, but this year we do!
Moto Minxy: "It feels like it's my birthday! All this awesome navigational equipment! Can't wait to fit it on my bike."

Old 04-19-2015, 08:16 AM   #15
SteveDennehy
Steve

From Alexander via FB:

Some of Stage 2's SS track in Botswana winding through the most beautiful scenery I have ever been blessed to pass over on a bike. Another long day in the saddle, but worth every drop of sweat! Botswana Tourism really has a great country to market!