User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
vicster OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,089
2015 COTA MotoGP

Now that Laguna no longer hosts MotoGP, it looks like my daughter and I will have make our way from Washington to Texas to get our fix. Never having been to COTA, I'm looking for some feedback from folks who have been to the Austin event.
Things like was it well ran, easily accessible, favorite viewpoints, over crowded, good value, etc.
We've been to Laguna so many (great) times we have the process nailed. COTA we know nothing about.
Thank you in advance for any feedback.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
We went to COTA last year for the Moto GP race and had a great time. The whole facility is first class. Everything from the appearance to the amenities, everything is top shelf. The track is easily accessible, it's right off of the main highway about 20 minutes from downtown Austin. Overcrowding isn't a problem, the place is BIG, Plenty of room to move around. There are several decent vantage points to watch from. My favorite place was on the top of the hill at the "u turn". Carry some comfortable walking shoes and have fun.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
vicster OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,089
Thanks for the feedback.
Still trying to decide if it's worth it to me. Looks like it'll cost the better part of 2 grand all in, plus squeezing into an airplane seat for the first time in 20+ years.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
djfoell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Tickets are bought. My first MotoGP, but at least the third for my girlfriend. First for her 5 year old son too. It should be fun.
djfoell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #5
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
Still trying to decide if it's worth it to me. Looks like it'll cost the better part of 2 grand all in, plus squeezing into an airplane seat for the first time in 20+ years.
Yea, its about a $1500 trip for me and my wife as well. We've got almost $700 in credit card rewards so that will cover our airfare. Even though it'd be a pretty flat highway bound trip I wish I had the time to ride there instead of flying. I hate flying and after going to Korea last month I am more done with it than ever.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #6
kanotuna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
It's a great facility. I've gone since the first race (easy when you're only an hour away). The only thing I don't care for is the cost of everything. For some reason everything is overpriced (at COTA), even for an event like this. Some of the rules are kind of odd, such as you can only bring in one sealed bottle of water (no other drinks or food). Whereas I've experienced Indy and Laguna, where you can bring in almost anything, including coolers. They don't search very well, but is they see it they won't let you bring it in. Getting in and out of the track is easy.

A favorite viewing spot is the top of the hill at turn one. I like to watch at the chicane just at the bottom of the hill for at least one practice. I've watched the races from the 2nd to last turn. You can see the last 3 turns and turn 1. Something to do is to go up the tower, they have a clear bottom to see the track, and the view is amazing.
kanotuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:23 AM   #7
findlj
How much fun is that

Oddometer: 93
I'm curious what they charged for parking at the MotoGP? For the F1 race they charged over $250 for the weekends parking...
Old 01-19-2015, 05:02 AM   #8
tinhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by findlj View Post
I'm curious what they charged for parking at the MotoGP? For the F1 race they charged over $250 for the weekends parking...
It's a motorcycle race, so I ride a motorcycle there (yes from Connecticut).
Motorcycle parking is free.
tinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:04 AM   #9
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhead View Post
It's a motorcycle race, so I ride a motorcycle there (yes from Connecticut).
Motorcycle parking is free.
I've wanted to this ride as well, but by back roads, mostly.

But getting time off, etc., has not been in the cards.

Please do it right and take back roads - West Va., Kentucky, Ozarks

I did some of that from Pa to Indy in 2008.

Maybe next year...
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #10
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Its on the COTA website.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #11
myblunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
for $199, you can get a seat at Turn 12, some merch in a bag, "premium" motorcycle parking, and the parade lap on the track...
myblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #12
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Mrs. Easy and I went the first year and the crowds were not bad at all, and I despise crowds It's a huge track with plenty of options for GA trackside viewing. We stayed in Austin and ride shared to the track with other folks at our hotel and then just found limo vans to dog pile in to to get back.

It was not a cheap trip, we like to go out to eat and check the bar/music scene wherever we go. I think our food/bar bills were the most expensive part of the trip
This from YooperbikeMikes thread.

The event is ran quite well (and I'm an event snob having come up around the Indy 500 back when it was THE race) someone mentioned above that things were pricey at the track, that's true, but at what sporting event are concessions cheap? The venue owners have some big overhead to cover, somebody gets to pay for it.

Even with our admittedly random ride share program getting in and out of the track was a breeze.

One thing I did find odd was that almost no one we spoke with in Austin that was not in town for the race, or working at a bike shop, had no idea it was going on.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits

BigEasy screwed with this post 01-25-2015 at 06:44 AM
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #13
Kawasakirob
flick the bean

Oddometer: 1,114
+1 for great viewing on top of Turn 1.

It is the high point of the track and you can see most of the other track from that viewpoint. In my opinion its not worth purchasing grand stand seating. There is great viewing with general admission and it is not worth the extra money.

If you were to purchase grand stand seating I would go for turns 13 and 15. Also, there are alot of crashes in turn 19....if you are able to get close since that is normally where the Parts Unlimited Tent is set up.

Another hint is to go up in the Mullet Tower about 45 minutes before the race to (hopefully) not get kicked out and watch the race from up there. Its a great track. You'll enjoy it.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #14
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
I've been to the F1 and MotoGp. I like turn one for the formula 1 race, but I like turn 15 better for the bikes. Great views from both sites. You can easily park across the street in some rednecks field for 20 bucks if you don't want to pay for the official parking. Shit is expensive and they don't let you bring anything in, which is sort of BS, especially when the food lines are long and a burger and beer is 20 bucks. There is "free" water. My wife and I rode to it last year, which was fun. This year we are going to try camping at the track in the van.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #15
swimmer
armchair asshole

Will they let you bring in a "camelback"?