too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwolf View Post
'Dakar Rally a National Priority'

'the approval of a supreme decree'

C'mon now...
Shouldn't Dakar be everyone's supreme decree of national priority?

Go Bolivia! Wish I could be there this year, breaking new ground.

Think anyone will go for land speed records on the salt flats..?
Ha ha - maybe, but there are a few real considerations -

Chavo can tell us whether these salt flats will be dry or wet in January - quite different conditions?

If dry and considering some of the bikes can do 175 kmph and others only 160 there could be some big times pulled - but if it is marathon day(s) then who is going to push the bike, that is unless they need the minutes ? - could be a classic couple of days
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #2087
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,174
They must have the lights go out often down there.. "giving authority to guarantee the power supply"
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #2088
chavo_dakar_bolivia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thumb Dakar 2014 Bolivia stages

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Ha ha - maybe, but there are a few real considerations -

Chavo can tell us whether these salt flats will be dry or wet in January - quite different conditions?

If dry and considering some of the bikes can do 175 kmph and others only 160 there could be some big times pulled - but if it is marathon day(s) then who is going to push the bike, that is unless they need the minutes ? - could be a classic couple of days
I've been told that the Salar is flooded with water in January, Neil (bluebull) can probably confirm this too. So I dont foresee no land speed records being broke in Dakar ....
The government is very enthusiastic about Dakar (it helps the President is very much into soccer himself and likes motorsports)
They made this good footage showing the region where Dakar will pass by(but of course with no idea on the bikes/riders shown) but it shows they are being proactive about it:
http://youtu.be/Z00yq6a2GSs

I think this might be one of the best marathon camps ever with EXCELLENT treatment to riders, unlike Argentina stage this year where we froze are asses of at night with no blankets/sleeping bags.

Hope to see some of you down there with me!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #2089
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
Now I'm no rally expert, but I think this is an often overlooked and undervalued point. Especially for those who think Cyril is switching to 4 wheels. If was betting I'd bet he doesn't switch to cars until he has two more Dakar wins. Yep, two! I said it. I think he wants that record for himself. Seriously why would he make the switch now? It doesn't make any sense especially when he only needs one to tie that record.
yup I concur sir !!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #2090
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
He's just looking for a bike, was hoping for Honda but maybe Honda is just not ready for the challenge. A debacle like Rossi to Ducati is not what Honda wants
Old 04-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #2091
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
He's just looking for a bike, was hoping for Honda but maybe Honda is just not ready for the challenge. A debacle like Rossi to Ducati is not what Honda wants
I must admit I find it surprising that a rider with Despres' pedigree has to deal with this level of uncertainty (unless he has something up his sleeve that he's not talking about). I remember when the original rumour was leaked pre Dakar that he was leaving KTM (by Doyle was it?) At the time I could hardly believe that he'd contemplate leaving such a successful set up voluntarily but then the lure of HRC and a big bucks contract gave it some credibility. If HRC has indeed fallen through then surely Despres has made a massive blunder leaving KTM (or was he squeezed out?) Fascinating stuff anyway.
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #2092
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
yup I concur sir !!
+ 1 on that, Mr. CDP has 2 more wins in his sights before he goes anywhere is my guess and similar to Aussie 66 I can't imagine HRC is ready for a rider chief to go with all the others.

As Jurassic says I would be pretty surprised if he isn't organised already though and I would expect that the news will be broke with a bit of style
Old 04-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #2093
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,541
And if all else fails Kawi may make him a deal to ride a klr

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #2094
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavo_dakar_bolivia View Post
I've been told that the Salar is flooded with water in January, Neil (bluebull) can probably confirm this too. So I dont foresee no land speed records being broke in Dakar ....
The government is very enthusiastic about Dakar (it helps the President is very much into soccer himself and likes motorsports)
They made this good footage showing the region where Dakar will pass by(but of course with no idea on the bikes/riders shown) but it shows they are being proactive about it:
http://youtu.be/Z00yq6a2GSs

I think this might be one of the best marathon camps ever with EXCELLENT treatment to riders, unlike Argentina stage this year where we froze are asses of at night with no blankets/sleeping bags.

Hope to see some of you down there with me!
That's a great video! Kudos to Evo Morales!!!

He is kicking some serious ass in Uyuni, recently the major and one of his ministers got fired after visiting the place ahead of the Dakar next year. The local airport has been revamped completely, and there is a huge cleanup drive taking place in the town itself.

They are building a 6 million dollar electrical substation as part of the upgrade for Dakar (we love it because our mine is nearby and going to benefit too).

I can confirm the Salar was under about 0.5m of water and is quite dangerous to be on during that time of year.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #2095
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

I can confirm the Salar was under about 0.5m of water and is quite dangerous to be on during that time of year.
Best not start with saltgate just yet , but it seems rather odd to contemplate such a stage if the conditions are like that?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #2096
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

I was just reading the latest Rally Raid Review tweets and was interested to read about the Despres to Yamaha speculation. I totally understand (and agree with) the sentiment that someone of CDPs stature in rallying wouldn't contemplate a regional team like Yamaha (France/Europe) but I can't help wondering with all the delay in him announcing anything whether his proposed "dream move" to HRC is on the rocks? If that were the case it may be a best of the rest situation for Le Patron......... Just my speculation of course.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #2097
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
I was just reading the latest Rally Raid Review tweets and was interested to read about the Despres to Yamaha speculation. I totally understand (and agree with) the sentiment that someone of CDPs stature in rallying wouldn't contemplate a regional team like Yamaha (France/Europe) but I can't help wondering with all the delay in him announcing anything whether his proposed "dream move" to HRC is on the rocks? If that were the case it may be a best of the rest situation for Le Patron......... Just my speculation of course.
To be honest that isn't such a silly idea - after all, who better than Yamaha France to support the no.1 French rider?

The WRs (and it's JVO derivatives) have proved themselves already with Podium places in the hands of Fretigne and Rodrigues (and often against the 690s too), and it is arguably still the strongest of all the current 450cc enduro based bikes/engines out there...

And hey, wouldn't it be sweet for Despres to beat the Peterhansel's record riding on a Yamaha too!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #2098
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
To be honest that isn't such a silly idea - after all, who better than Yamaha France to support the no.1 French rider?

The WRs (and it's JVO derivatives) have proved themselves already with Podium places in the hands of Fretigne and Rodrigues (and often against the 690s too), and it is arguably still the strongest of all the current 450cc enduro based bikes/engines out there...

And hey, wouldn't it be sweet for Despres to beat the Peterhansel's record riding on a Yamaha too!

Jx
Hmm, maybe he'll be in the market for a nice used WR for a practice bike in the meantime? I wonder where he could source such a beast?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #2099
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post

The WRs (and it's JVO derivatives) have proved themselves already with Podium places in the hands of Fretigne and Rodrigues...
Let's not forget Casteau and Pain performances at the latest Dakar...

Yes, it is not a strange scenario after all...
Old 04-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #2100
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,563
The speculation has been around for a while. The HRC deal, as told to me by some in the know, was 99% certain, but now sits about 95% certain. Word is that a agree to agree deal is in place but they have yet to ink the final signatures.

The reason for the slip to 95% is that HRC may be a little wary that if Cyril doesn't dominate, then they only reason (as perceived from the outside) has to be a problem with the bike.

Now on one hand, this sounds ludicrous as why wouldn't HRC want to employ the services of the best rider given the chance but on the other, I suspect that HRC's rally effort might by a bit of a pet project in Honda and may be operating on a very short leash. If that is the case, they may want to build up performance milestones in a more restrained manner with Sam and Helder. Adding Despres to the mix puts the entire HRC directly in the spotlight and they may not be comfortable with that.

My personal feeling is that HRC have retreated to their secret lair and will debut an entirely new machine and will announce Despres as the rider. I think they will package the two together as a big PR release, perhaps in time for Dos Sertoes or Ruta 40 where Despres will not be up against the might of Coma or Barreda off the bat.

As for Yamaha, I have discounted most of the rumor. I just can't see a rider of Despres' caliber moving to a non-factory effort no matter how well it's performed in recent past. Yamaha has a very good package for a quasi-works team, but Despres, I would expect, would want a more robust structure capable of taking the fight to KTM in a meaningful way, not scrapping for day to day stage wins among a handful of fast guys. He wants to be THE fast guy.

Other than the Yamaha name, what would really be his incentive? He wouldn't be guaranteed any real advantage and if he were beaten handily by Coma, or worse, Faria, then it would simply reinforce the notion that leaving KTM was a mistake. Matching a beating Peterhansel's record on a Yamaha would be sweet, but Despres has no Yamaha background, so I suspect it doesn't mean too much to him. I would think he wants to beat the record and will go with his best, long term chance. Honda may be that only option left for that.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote