Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #2431
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
I like The Factory Bear sticker on the bash Plate!!
That is from the 80's The Company was out on Japan and made Riding gear.
I still have some of the custom gear they gave me to wear!!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #2432
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post

Speedbrain continues as it has with the current bike and current structure with an aiming now more towards providing customer options...and I may add, the fees are quite reasonable considering the level of structure and equipment they can provide.

Clearer?
Parts bin specials.. No more husky money, easy choice to approach Honda.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #2433
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Yes, much - so in effect Wolfgang is taking a bit of a holiday from the main Speedbrain operation to concentrate on [continuing to] supporting the riders he nurtured in the original Speedbrain team and racing at the very sharp end?

Presumably he will also take a small crew of technicians with him - although it is possible that HRC will supply those, as they will be more intimate with the new Honda bike?

My concern was how focussed all this has left the original Speedbrain operation - it will be interesting to see who steps in to become essentially their #1 & #2 riders, together with any privateer packages they are supporting?

Jx
I think Speedbrain continues in good hands with a good bike. I hear they have plenty of Speedbrain (not Husky Italy) developed motors for the foreseeable future. Barreda's demands to Honda were Paulo, Wolfgang, Joan's Physio, engineer, and mechanic. Honda agreed as Japan was keen on him running HRC colors.

I don't believe they will run any trucks, equipment, etc. with Speedbrain branding. This is an HRC effort. Joan and Paulo are now HRC riders. HRC simply co-opted some SB experience and structure to run things similar to how HRC co-opted Henk and the HT Rally Raid effort, it's just now switched to SB.

Speedbrain will continue as a separate entity with their bikes and equipment. Development on the Speedbrain 450 Rally continues as normal, the concentration just shifts to customer packages unless, of course another manufacturer comes knocking, then I am sure the minds would be open.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #2434
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
The Bivouac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
HRC runs as two entities under the HRC banner. No Speedbrain branding. Martino Bianchi oversees all operations. Katsumi Yamazaki manages one entity of Helder, Javier, and Sam while Wolfgang manages the other entity of Joan and Paulo.

All will ride as HRC riders. There will not be differentiation between the entities other than the split management, which makes sense.

Speedbrain continues as it has with the current bike and current structure with an aiming now more towards providing customer options...and I may add, the fees are quite reasonable considering the level of structure and equipment they can provide.

Clearer?
How do you run one team as 2? Hrc do make some dumb decisions - haven't they seen what happens in F1?

The yz450f makes the crf450 rallye look like ad ad for biggest loser. The Crf is fat with cellulite and the yzf is just fully built.

Didn't the yzf give everyone a run for their money at Dakar 2013? Perhaps cd has a backend contract where he gets a kings ransom if he wins Dakar.

I think this bike and team are well up to ktm (hrc are not moving fwd in my opinion merely treading water). It is so svelte and powerful.

How long before e start is grafted onto the yzf?

Also do they change the internal gearing on this thing?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #2435
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post

Also do they change the internal gearing on this thing?
The WR gearbox drops right in. Kick start does suffice, these guys only start their bikes 3 times a day. In the morning and after a fuel stop...
Old 05-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #2436
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 613
Quote:

The yz450f makes the crf450 rallye look like ad ad for biggest loser. The Crf is fat with cellulite and the yzf is just fully built.
All new bike coming from HRC for this year. I would presume they would learn from last years "issues" and build a simpler, lighter bike, but I may be wrong.

The direction is certainly moving towards a motor with a seat and gas strapped to it which is more in line with the shorter more sprint like racing at the sharp end of the field...

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #2437
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
The WR gearbox drops right in. Kick start does suffice, these guys only start their bikes 3 times a day. In the morning and after a fuel stop...

are you kidding me?

the wr gearbox drops in? thats awesome

Why o why cant Honda have done that with the 450r/x?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #2438
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,301
In the military we call this sort of thing a clusterfuck.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #2439
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
In the military we call this sort of thing a clusterfuck.
ClusteRFuck= CRF

Looks like honda does too
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #2440
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:
are you kidding me?

the wr gearbox drops in? thats awesome

Why o why cant Honda have done that with the 450r/x?
The Honda CRF450x has not changed much in 6 years!
Why should they change it?? The sell the shit out of them.
and the CRF450r has been a big pile of shit !! for many years.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #2441
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

The Bivouac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
The Honda CRF450x has not changed much in 6 years!
Why should they change it?? The sell the shit out of them.
and the CRF450r has been a big pile of shit !! for many years.
Dude not sure what you're on but they DON'T sell the shit out of them.

Honda built up so many in 2009 they stopped making them for 3 years cos they couldn't sell them!!

Haven't you also noticed the world is turning orange?

The 450r has only been a pile of shite from 2009. The pre 09 architecture was brilliant and one reason the 450x in performance mode is anchored to that architecture.

It just shows when you get the fundamentals right there can be long model runs. The xr600 was the same.

So what the market generally does is bring the 450x up to 2008 crf450r standard.

The limiter seems to be the gearbox - not enough room for larger 5th which was the point made in my original post.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #2442
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
personally, i'm excited to see more manufacturers doing more than just making bikes (ie: shopping for the best riders) & competing for the title; not just to place, but compete for the win. also, yamaha did a wonderful job having the old school crossover promotion with peterhansel; pretty epic.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #2443
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I think the problem with the Maroc is that while it is traditionally the last 'big' race before Dakar - so a great opportunity to shake down the team structure and bikes (particularly for the European teams with easy access to North Africa) - it no longer is a world championship event...

Furthermore, I think perhaps Honda proved last year that actual testing in the same environment as the Dakar offers a better understanding of how the bikes will perform in South American conditions - altitude/temperture, softness of sand etc.

We should also not discount the fact that the Dakar series events are likely to offer a higher level of publicity than the Maroc achieves - the South American market is huge, and with Peru not part of the Dakar route this year, the supporters there are going to be especially hungry for world class racing - can't hurt Yamaha's image to have a serious presence there?

And I guess ultimately, if the team are already committed to the Desafio Inca (3-6th October), it doesn't leave much time to get everything back to Europe and across to Morocco for the 13-19th?

Jx
Talking of 'Desafio Inca' in Peru you guys (and Jen, Sylvia and MXMom too!), I have a 7-days moto tour where you can get up close to the new teams in a bit more of a relaxed scenario than the actual Dakar!

Shameless, I know!

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #2444
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,926
Quote:
How do you run one team as 2?
?
KTM did it for several years with both Coma & Despres having separate teams within the overall KTM factory rally team..............seemed to work for them ok judging by the results
Old 05-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #2445
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
personally, i'm excited to see more manufacturers doing more than just making bikes (ie: shopping for the best riders) & competing for the title; not just to place, but compete for the win. also, yamaha did a wonderful job having the old school crossover promotion with peterhansel; pretty epic.

I'm sold.