Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #2671
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
I was quoting reference to yzf450
Sorry, is the stock engine kick only on those?
DruncleWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:42 AM   #2672
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruncleWill View Post
Sorry, is the stock engine kick only on those?

Yes

And yes I believe Cyrils bike is a kick only.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:49 AM   #2673
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Naa, Coma is going to beat him, and Casseli will be right up there with Coma, maybe beat him too. Thought Kurt may need another year of navigation.

Coma is Despres's kryptonite, even though its beginning to wear off...
Four months out and the smack talk begins

No offense meant to Kurt.....fast indeed and won a stage or two where there was no nav on hard packed roads....way to many variables given his lack of rally experience to expect him to podium (imho).

I foresee Helder and CDP (with his team mate Pain right behind him) battling it out at the end of the race.....a totally uneducated guess but hey that's the web is for isn't it

He who races the aso circuit pleases the aso? Throw in the red Bull sponsorship both Helder and CDP have and well.....it doesn't hurt my prediction

Funny, temps got a bit cooler outside here and instantly my F5 finger started twitching

Old 09-17-2013, 03:19 AM   #2674
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
More about Cyril's move to Yamaha

I have not seen that information posted here so I just thought I would convey it here. Moto Crampon a french magazine has a fairly long article this summer about it.

According to the article, Peterhensel is the connection that made it happened, he sensed that Cyril was looking for something else, a new challenge, a new environment and suggested that Yamaha talk to him. I guess Cyril got to try out the Yammie at the end of the last Dakar and thought it had pretty good potential (and remember at one point, there were 2 yamahas at the top of the leader board). Once they knew he was interested, yamaha france went to yamaha international to see if the factory would support a return to Dakar (financial mainly from what i gathered) and they were, may have timed with the passage of JCO I do not recall.

In any case, the article was mentionning Cyril looking forward to work with a small team of really passionated guys to work toward Dakar. Like they say the victory is in the details, throughout the article they were interviewing people that were now working with Cyril and several time it was mentionned how detailed he was how precise he was in his preparation and why things needed to happen a certain way etc... His new team mate was even mentioning that he felt that he made tremendous progress thanks to Cyril to paraphraze here, he was pretty much saying that he realized that there was a lot more science to rallye racing than he thought and that by learning all of that from Cyril he had become all and all much faster. How to note the road book, reading the terrain and the race to know when to push and when not to push etc...

A few of the interviews were talking about the tensions in the KTM team betweeen Despres and Coma. Peterhensel was saying of Cyril that maybe in sheer speed he may not be as fast as some of the other guys but that his methodology and his approach to the race were more than making up for it...

In any case, this is sure setting up the stage for a very interesting rallye! 4 teams having a shot at the win in the book, and so many guys having a good chance at it! Cannot wait until January!

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #2675
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,551
I have nothing against them, but I would like to see KTM get dethroned, even just to to shake things up... I believe Cyril on the yamie is the biggest threat they have faced the last years, on top of everything he knows exactly how they think and how they work, so strategically he has an advantage. The bike itself is good enough, and CD knows how to protect it for the tough race... The Dakar is not about sheer speed, Barreda and Caselli are very fast but one silly mistake on one day is enough to get you off the podium race.
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #2676
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,729
No doubt the front runners will be the front runners as always. The key factors this year are new bikes for Honda and KTM. For sure they will be well sorted, but I also expect a fair bit of teething problems, Recall the KTM gearbox issues of the early 690's.

This puts Yamaha in a good place, although it cannot be discounted that this is a new team for Cyril. For my money, I say keep a close eye on Alessandro Botturi on the Speedbrain. Fast, sorted, and Botturi has amazing consistency and maturity.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #2677
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,512
Well just 3 weeks until Morocco and if HRC are going to run that and Mergouza back to back for some of the Team a mini Dakar

Excepting Cyril, all the Northern Hemisphere contenders will be there, so it will perhaps point the way?

It is to be appreciated that it's a test run for the bikes, and after what happened with Coma last year and then HRC in December maybe they will be taking it easy

With 3 points separating Coma and Speedy for the world championship it's going to be interesting in a few ways though
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #2678
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
With 3 points separating Coma and Speedy for the world championship it's going to be interesting in a few ways though
What I'm curious to see is if Speedy will ride the new Honda in Morocco or will he opt for his tried and true Speedbrain in an effort to take the title. I say he sticks with Speedbrain.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #2679
Deadly99
Fast and Far

I'm thinking contracts will dicate which bike he rides, not personal choice ?

Old 09-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #2680
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I'm thinking contracts will dicate which bike he rides, not personal choice ?
We'll see. Honda didn't much care about him riding the SB in Brazil. Morocco may be different but surely Paulo must be wary of starting a brand new bike when he has such a close chance of taking the title. I would think HRC would rather have the World Champion on their team rather than force him to ride the as yet unproven bike.

If I were running things, the real effort would be quiet, but in support of Paulo to take the championship from Coma while downplaying the performance of the new bike and calling the rally more of a test to shake down the new machine.

Publickly, the rally would be a test of the team and bike, privately, the effort would be to make my rider the champion.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #2681
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
We'll see. Honda didn't much care about him riding the SB in Brazil. Morocco may be different but surely Paulo must be wary of starting a brand new bike when he has such a close chance of taking the title. I would think HRC would rather have the World Champion on their team rather than force him to ride the as yet unproven bike.

If I were running things, the real effort would be quiet, but in support of Paulo to take the championship from Coma while downplaying the performance of the new bike and calling the rally more of a test to shake down the new machine.

Publickly, the rally would be a test of the team and bike, privately, the effort would be to make my rider the champion.
Regardless, it was a certain Mr. Fischer who shopped Sam in Abu Dhabi to cost him him a well deserved victory, so could be interesting - just saying
Old 09-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #2682
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,380
The Bivouac

So do we know anything about the new Hondas ?

6 speed gen wide ratio gb?

Air fork ?

Carb/efi?

Release date to public ?

Glad they haven't changed team colours. My team gear gets use again.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #2683
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
So do we know anything about the new Hondas ?

6 speed gen wide ratio gb?

Air fork ?

Carb/efi?

Release date to public ?

Glad they haven't changed team colours. My team gear gets use again.
We will defo see them in 3 weeks in Morocco
Old 09-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #2684
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,945
From Helder's FB

Old 09-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #2685
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Regardless, it was a certain Mr. Fischer who shopped Sam in Abu Dhabi to cost him him a well deserved victory, so could be interesting - just saying
Can you tell us more about this?
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote