Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #2836
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
This is the 2nd time I have read this here in the last couple weeks. Is the cat out of the bag regarding the cause of Sam's injury from testing last year?

(or is this still a secret?)

No, his exhaust separated some 50 k before the end of stage 4 in the Abu Dhabi DC - he still won the stage and after the time control left the course to check with Honda if the bike was ok for the liaison back.

When he continued he was on the wrong side of the last marker flag and copped a 30 min time penalty!! - that is after some friendly competitors team manager pointed it out the the FIM official!

Nothing to do with last years testing incident

Anyway, now he has been 2 days in Morocco now without his luggage (all his riding gear other than boots and lid ) - it's getting to be a bit of a worry!

Istanbul said it left there with him en route to Casablanca. when he got to Ouzazate he was luggageless - neither Casablanca or Ouzazate have got a clue where it is, or just don't give a shit
Attached Images

too old screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 11:43 AM
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #2837
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
This is the 2nd time I have read this here in the last couple weeks. Is the cat out of the bag regarding the cause of Sam's injury from testing last year?

(or is this still a secret?)
The reference to the exhaust was when he finished a stage in the Qatar (I think) rally last year and his exhaust broke lose so he stopped after the ASS before the flags finished and was penalized and lost his lead of the race. Best my foggy memory can do...not related to cat being out of the bag during testing.....

EDIT: 205'ish as my facts were not quite 100% but still close enough for a game of grenades

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #2838
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,225
(moved to Desafio Inca thread)

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 01:01 PM
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #2839
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
No, his exhaust separated some 50 k before the end of stage 4 in the Abu Dhabi DC - he still won the stage and after the time control left the course to check with Honda if the bike was ok for the liaison back.

When he continued he was on the wrong side of the last marker flag and copped a 30 min time penalty!! - that is after some friendly competitors team manager pointed it out the the FIM official!

Nothing to do with last years testing incident

Anyway, now he has been 2 days in Morocco now without his luggage (all his riding gear other than boots and lid ) - it's getting to be a bit of a worry!

Istanbul said it left there with him en route to Casablanca. when he got to Ouzazate he was luggageless - neither Casablanca or Ouzazate have got a clue where it is, or just don't give a shit
Oh, I remember you telling us about that one. Slipped my mind. Thanks!

For Sam's sake, I hope a luggage handler didn't decide they needed some Rally gear. That sucks!
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #2840
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

EDIT: 205'ish as my facts were not quite 100% but still close enough for a game of grenades
Not heard that one before, think I might use it at work - just as well I'm not a doctor
Old 10-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #2841
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
This just popped up, a video from the Desafio Inca of CD helping someone get unstuck. No explanation, but it's definitely CD:
>
Ha ha , here we go again - sandgate
Old 10-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #2842
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 289
From Kurt Caselli;

The new KTM 450 RALLY Bike. New shorter frame, new EFI 450 single cam motor, smaller tanks(still 9 gallons but slimmer) carbon fiber instrument bracket, lighter and faster. Thing is amazing! Handles like a regular 450 desert bike but goes waaay faster and is really stable.

DruncleWill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #2843
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Aluminium mounts seem larger in this model compared to the previous years. If it is not a special CF reinforced with aluminium honeycomb (BikeMike40 is inclined to place a bet in the Rally nav bracket photo thread ), then I doubt it will survive as good as the aluminium the impacts. As Pete640 also mentioned, the depth of cutouts will resist sideways forces. This thing will be far more rigid than the AL parts previously found in the KTM's.
To me, after seeing trillions of photos of broken and completely destroyed roadbook holders, I still cannot understand with they choose to make things more rigid... I am still puzzled over the back plate... It looks to thick to be composite but I may be wrong.

I doubt its aluminium honeycomb, possibly one of the high tech foams inside. Al honeycomb would be difficult to get to work with that shape (the champhered cutouts) and would make for a less forgiving structure. They make yatchs etc with nomex foam, it makes for a structure resiliant to shock loads.
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #2844
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1968 View Post
I doubt its aluminium honeycomb, possibly one of the high tech foams inside. Al honeycomb would be difficult to get to work with that shape (the champhered cutouts) and would make for a less forgiving structure. They make yatchs etc with nomex foam, it makes for a structure resiliant to shock loads.

Possibly. The top part that secures the MD and the Rally computers looks huge in that last photo...
So, That is your next project, no ?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #2845
rallye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Aluminium mounts seem larger in this model compared to the previous years. If it is not a special CF reinforced with aluminium honeycomb (BikeMike40 is inclined to place a bet in the Rally nav bracket photo thread ), then I doubt it will survive as good as the aluminium the impacts. As Pete640 also mentioned, the depth of cutouts will resist sideways forces. This thing will be far more rigid than the AL parts previously found in the KTM's.
To me, after seeing trillions of photos of broken and completely destroyed roadbook holders, I still cannot understand with they choose to make things more rigid... I am still puzzled over the back plate... It looks to thick to be composite but I may be wrong.
I think the back plate is the same from the 690/450 RR alloy unit in black like the old ones ,might be wrong though!
rallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #2846
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,560
Slow down guys, this is "Dakar special" posting pace, it's October for crying out loud...

"F1 tech" rumors aside, it seems honda is taking this pretty seriously, they have a lot to prove, but is looks like they have a nice rider roster and a shiny new fast thing to go along... I have been so disappointed in their commercial on/off strategy (and resulting models) for so long that I'm actually surprised they seem to be pulling it together... I bet the Austrians "sans Cyril" must be sweating a bit behind the ears, I mean when you see a Jap over a laptop with a look that means business on his face, sitting next to a rally bike, it's a bit intimidating, Fukushima notwithstanding...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #2847
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Wink

Quote:
Possibly. The top part that secures the MD and the Rally computers looks huge in that last photo...
So, That is your next project, no ?
Some thing like that...
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #2848
too old
Keen supporter

AND HERE IT IS - Manuel is back, just looking for ADVRider to finish things off
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #2849
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
AND HERE IT IS - Manuel is back, just looking for ADVRider to finish things off
I like that nav tower. Old Skool. Give James Renazco an hour with that seat and Manuel will feel like he's sitting on a cloud.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #2850
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
I like that nav tower. Old Skool. Give James Renazco an hour with that seat and Manuel will feel like he's sitting on a cloud.
What is its actual tank range?