ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #286
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,316
so many rallies, so little money! I'll just have to keep poking along until I figure out where to go after Mongolia
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:02 AM   #287
MEGO
Africa Racer
 
MEGO's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: North Italy
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
I applaud your passion Mego - but I think the problem is because it is an 'FIM' rally as you say, with all the associated costs (not least the licence and equipment hire etc.) and not least the entry fee... if you are going to spend that sort of money, in January, why would you not do the ASO 'Dakar' instead - or any of the FIM rounds that count towards championship points?

Heroes-Legend is a more established event for amateur rally riders, gives you exactly the same experience [other than the timing/scoring system] through Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal, and is (slightly) more affordable for riders without sponsorship who are paying out of their own pocket?

I believe the reason Heroes-Legend has been more successful is that a) it is pitched at the more amateur level rider, and b) it isn't going up against the #1 cross country rally which the world and his wife are watching on TV each January?

J xx
You're right, but the question (within the FIM riders ) is:
You will ride TO Dakar?
or
You will ride THE Dakar?

I think there could be at least 30% of passioned who will ride TO Dakar.
Than, why not Africa Race?

__________________
www.migliazza.it
MEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:29 AM   #288
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed
 
JMo (& piglet)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Oddometer: 3,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGO
You're right, but the question (within the FIM riders ) is:
You will ride TO Dakar?
or
You will ride THE Dakar?

I think there could be at least 30% of passioned who will ride TO Dakar.
Than, why not Africa Race?

Mego - I know exactly where you are coming from, which is why I rode the Heroes-Legend last year... however, I also think that, like me now, most of the FIM riders have already ridden the original Africa Route - some of them 5 or 6 times now, and are looking for a new [terrain and culture] challenge?

That is not to say that Africa is no longer the #1 destination for this sort of uber-distance rally... but the logistics of what the Dakar Rally has become, favors South America at the moment - it may be cynical, but such a big-budget event requires some sort of financial return for all the millions the teams invest, and if the South American market can support that, that is where it goes...

If I were going to spend over €12,000 just to enter the rally (never mind the associated licence, transport, assistance and spares costs) I'd want to make sure as many cameras were pointing at me as possible, if only to help with getting sponsorship? I believe there were over 300 people involved with media and communication on the Dakar Rally this year...

Personally I think for Africa Race to ever succeed, it has to become more like the Tuareg Rally (ie. affordable for mere mortals, and not affiliated with the FIM which has so many associated costs for competitors)... If not, then once ASO decide to return to Africa, I really think it will be the death-nell for Hubert's dream?

J xx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:43 AM   #289
MEGO
Africa Racer
 
MEGO's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: North Italy
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
Mego - I know exactly where you are coming from, which is why I rode the Heroes-Legend last year... however, I also think that, like me now, most of the FIM riders have already ridden the original Africa Route - some of them 5 or 6 times now, and are looking for a new [terrain and culture] challenge?

That is not to say that Africa is no longer the #1 destination for this sort of uber-distance rally... but the logistics of what the Dakar Rally has become, favors South America at the moment - it may be cynical, but such a big-budget event requires some sort of financial return for all the millions the teams invest, and if the South American market can support that, that is where it goes...

If I were going to spend over €12,000 just to enter the rally (never mind the associated licence, transport, assistance and spares costs) I'd want to make sure as many cameras were pointing at me as possible, if only to help with getting sponsorship? I believe there were over 300 people involved with media and communication on the Dakar Rally this year...

Personally I think for Africa Race to ever succeed, it has to become more like the Tuareg Rally (ie. affordable for mere mortals, and not affiliated with the FIM which has so many associated costs for competitors)... If not, then once ASO decide to return to Africa, I really think it will be the death-nell for Hubert's dream?

J xx
90% of your things are right. You are right.
But... let 10% be "the heart calling" from Africa.

Remember that riding a Dakar you will have ZERO minuts video, apart for your personal video, booking in advance, payed in advance (500€...) which consist in 12 minuts in within 3 (maybe...) are of you, with the start podium, Dakar podium (if...) and some on the bike...

But I know. Me too, first of all, I love "Dakar Rally".
Even if Pharaons is an "italian rally" (and I rode it 3 times)
Even if riding AR I reach Dakar.
Maybe the true is I'm only sorry about Sahara is still not free like in 1987, when I reach for the first time Tamanrasset by bike and I meet Dakar bivouac. Such a bomb in my head!

Long Life Dakar (and long life Africa Race of course), but please, do not jump on the Moon, next edition!
__________________
www.migliazza.it
MEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:52 AM   #290
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed
 
JMo (& piglet)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Oddometer: 3,430
I was hoping that the Dakar would come back to Africa for 2011, which is why I intend to race the Tunis, Egypt and Maroc rounds of the NPO series/FIM championship this year...

It holds a special place for me too!

However, I do quite fancy South America in January too from what I've seen!

J xx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #291
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,697
From Cyril Despres on facebook:

"As you may already have heard ASO have just announced that the Dakar will be returning to South America for 2011 and I for one am more than happy with their decision. They put on a great event this year and of course for the next edition there will be the added challenge of racing with a 450. The only negative for me is that Africa will be once again deprived of the many benefits that the rally brings.

Not that I have been avoiding the continent, in fact I have just returned from Morocco where I took the opportunity of taking a three day ride into the desert with the guys from TCX, who make my riding boots. It was really nice to be on a bike in great company and without the pressure of racing.

Having spent a few days in North Africa, my preparations for the Kenny Enduro, to be held this coming weekend at “Balesta Off Road” near Toulouse, haven’t been as intensive as usual. However, as always, I will be giving it my all aboard my KTM 250 EXC 2-stroke to put in the best performance possible on what is likely to be my only race on home soil this year. Hopefully I should get a chance to say hello to some of you down there.

All the best

Cyril"
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #292
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer
 
canadaler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Southern Ontario
Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
so many rallies, so little money! I'll just have to keep poking along until I figure out where to go after Mongolia
Are you the only Canadian riding Mongolia this year? Looks like the contingent died out pretty quick after 2 or 3 guys per year. I thought Hacking put together a deal for bike rentals and tours over there?

I looked at Mongolia as well...in fact was planning on it...before I decided it just wasn't technical enough for my liking and switching to the Tuareg last year.
__________________
'10 Gas Gas EC300
'08 Husaberg FE550
'09 Husqvarna TXC250
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #293
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com
 
Carlos M's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Portugal, Europe
Oddometer: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke



Looking forward to putting it to use very soon...

http://www.f2r.pt/epages/f2r.sf/en_G...ucts/RB730-001

Hey! Very nice to see a mention of the f2r here at the Bivouac! The developer is a friend of mine and I can assure you that he took the design and testing of this product very seriously!

f2r is also selling the MD at the best price I've seen online. [plug mode off ]
__________________
Carlos M.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #294
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaler
Are you the only Canadian riding Mongolia this year? Looks like the contingent died out pretty quick after 2 or 3 guys per year. I thought Hacking put together a deal for bike rentals and tours over there?

I looked at Mongolia as well...in fact was planning on it...before I decided it just wasn't technical enough for my liking and switching to the Tuareg last year.
As far as I know right now yes, but when the KTM Tour Mongolia guy talked to the organizers about cutting us a break on entry fees they claimed 2 other Canadians had already agreed to the cost. I haven't been able to find any sign of them here?

Lawrence has been working on deals and he's the organizers north america rep. I've been talking to the guy with bkes and there are a couple of options, none cheap but that's no surprise.

A couple of guys from the US are interested too, I'll be seeing them in April at the Rally PA session in Nevada to talk more on the topic-rent or ship?

As for technical, this is my first so I'm looking for easy terrain and time to work on navigating, not to mention lots of scenery!

I'm waiting to talk to Bob about the Tuareg when he gets back from it this year.
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #295
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M
Hey! Very nice to see a mention of the f2r here at the Bivouac! The developer is a friend of mine and I can assure you that he took the design and testing of this product very seriously!

f2r is also selling the MD at the best price I've seen online. [plug mode off ]
that is a great looking roadbook holder1 I already have an MD on my bike but I'll pass it on to a friend who may be shopping for one soon.
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #296
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
As far as I know right now yes, but when the KTM Tour Mongolia guy talked to the organizers about cutting us a break on entry fees they claimed 2 other Canadians had already agreed to the cost. I haven't been able to find any sign of them here?

Lawrence has been working on deals and he's the organizers north america rep. I've been talking to the guy with bkes and there are a couple of options, none cheap but that's no surprise.

A couple of guys from the US are interested too, I'll be seeing them in April at the Rally PA session in Nevada to talk more on the topic-rent or ship?

As for technical, this is my first so I'm looking for easy terrain and time to work on navigating, not to mention lots of scenery!

I'm waiting to talk to Bob about the Tuareg when he gets back from it this year.

I had to do a search on the Mongolia Rally after your post. Looks fantastic!

__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #297
LUDO
Studly Adventurer
 
LUDO's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: California
Oddometer: 974
Anybody wants to buy this from me? 660 rally factory kit (the real thing)



it's Nani Roma's Winning 2004 Dakar spare set that was in the truck during the race.
PM me if you're interested.
I saw some riders install this on 525s and 530s (In Dakar there were a couple guys with that set up)
__________________
===========
Maldita Vida Boa
LUDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #298
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,316
You are correct monsieur Hayduke, it does look awesome which is why I'm going, not to mention the resounding recommendation from Lawrence Hacking (I blame my newfound rally obsession on him).

Are you headed to the April session in Nevada too? One of your T's is on it's way to me in support of thos Brazil minded folks..

And last and probably least you may remember me as the guy who got in touch to see if you knew my friend who lives in Salida, funnily enough I see a lot more of you here har har har.

Sorry for the long windedness
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #299
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
You are correct monsieur Hayduke, it does look awesome which is why I'm going, not to mention the resounding recommendation from Lawrence Hacking (I blame my newfound rally obsession on him).

Are you headed to the April session in Nevada too? One of your T's is on it's way to me in support of thos Brazil minded folks..

And last and probably least you may remember me as the guy who got in touch to see if you knew my friend who lives in Salida, funnily enough I see a lot more of you here har har har.

Sorry for the long windedness

Oh man, I wish I was going to the April Rally training, but like you say, work get's in the way. Planning to do some roadbook rides this year, though.

May I blame Lawrence Hacking, too? I've read his book several times, as all rally tragics should.

What was your friend's name again? (PM me if you want)
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #300
PackMule OP
love what you do
 
PackMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: New Hampshah
Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
Uh, oh, PackMule will need to get a sticky up with the new Dakar 2011 thread 9 months ahead of it!




As a point of order, Doyle always starts the official coverage threads...
__________________
Nate in N.E.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014