640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,024
Ceci's Speedbrain...

Old 11-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #3302
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 658
Is it just me or does that seat seem very thin. They must not plan to sit on it much.
wilkinsonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #3303
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Is it just me or does that seat seem very thin. They must not plan to sit on it much.

If comfort is rated highly on one's personal priorities... Dakar should be struck off your bucket list...

"What ees all 'zis f5uss about...?"
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #3304
640 Armageddon
-oo-

CDP's bike

Way too similar to the KTM's old tower
Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #3305
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Ceci's Speedbrain...

I'm not fully up on the speedbrain spec, but did they move all the fuel to the rear? I recall a forward cap on the 2013 bikes...
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #3306
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwolf View Post
I'm not fully up on the speedbrain spec, but did they move all the fuel to the rear? I recall a forward cap on the 2013 bikes...
.....almost about 2 years now :-(

The rear tanks were made by " mecasystems " as Honda and Yamaha tanks for their rally kits.
Speedbrain adapted them to the Husky / BMW frame.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #3307
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
If comfort is rated highly on one's personal priorities... Dakar should be struck off your bucket list...
True, although over half the distance in Liaison, so a comfy perch is not to be discounted!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #3308
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
True, although over half the distance in Liaison, so a comfy perch is not to be discounted!

Jx
Solution: Train the gluts till they're rock hard and cycle shorts Jen...

I've never sat on a mtb or cycling saddle that even comes close to a mx/enduro bike saddle comfort wise... but the T d'F blokes manage to hack three weeks of it.

Do you thik mudboy does all those miles up around Andorra on his bikes purely for the fitness...? Long hours and mental preparation are part of the deal as well... If the first time you sit on a hard saddle for three/four hours plus is when faced with the prospect of a 500 km liason on the Dakar... then yeah, sure it's going to seem lke an (even more) daunting task.

Seatcovers and cushions are the d'rigour for the ADV touring ad weekend arrior set...

An old Dakar moto vet once shared one of his traning methods with me; It was to ride an old ridgid framed, 10 speed rcing cycle on dry stony (and hilly) mountain road for anything u to 200 km's at a time.

I askled him why... was it especially good fitness? "Nope, a twenty km run would probaby be as good or better for the cardio..." he said.

Wouldn't a mountainbike be better than that old racer... suspension, better gears and less flats with those thin rims/tires...? "Yep, but then I would have the satisfaction of having to fix roadside flats, in the dust and sweaty heat, with flies in me eyes... etc." came the answer.

So why do you do it then, I asked!? " 'Cause it's a long, arduous, f#%in' mentally mind numbing pain in the arse of an excercise... if you want to win at this game - that's part of the deal..."

I've related that story to most of the riders that attend our boot camp/navigation rally events here in Sweden over the last six years or so... Many of those individuals that "got it" have subsquently gone on and finished in a number of various rallies about the globe... most of those that didn't "get it" - haven't.

Oh... and don't forget the baboob butt powder!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #3309
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
I've related that story to most of the riders that attend our boot camp/navigation rally events here in Sweden over the last six years or so... Many of those individuals that "got it" have subsquently gone on and finished in a number of various rallies about the globe... most of those that didn't "get it" - haven't.

Oh... and don't forget the baboob butt powder!
Then I hope Speedbrain riders know that story!
Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #3310
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Then I hope Speedbrain riders know that story!
Ha ha - and the HRC ones

A discussion was had on similar lines after two weeks in the saddle recently in Morocco.
Cycle shorts won't work, the padding is in the wrong place, so TSC has it - like it or lump it !

- but I can tell you though that the thought of a first day 600 km liaison may lead to testing the old strap on cushion trick
too old is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #3311
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,466
the only talcum to use

Troy.. in the US we have a better product..

Original

New Women's AMB

and a newer product I have yet to try

sadly I forgot mine for the Baja 1000 this year and now suffering from you got it... Monkey Butt
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:08 AM   #3312
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Troy.. a newer product I have yet to try

sadly I forgot mine for the Baja 1000 this year and now suffering from you got it... Monkey Butt

Haha... "Safari towels" eh...?!

That takes me back... back in the day when a "safari towel" was something much different.

With space at a premium in the (malle moto-like) gear bag of yest-year, a "safari towell" as I remember it, was a small chamois/face cloth endowed with the task of fullfilling the bathing/hygenic duties during rally proceedings... no space for big damp smelly terry cloth bath/beach towels... nosiree!

The Safari towel was used it to wash the dust and grime from the face of an evening, and on the odd occassion that showers were available, it sufficed as the all over/wipe down device (no photo's needed... the lilly white mental images are scary enough I assure you! )

Anyway, after a week to ten days or so, the "safari towell" usually acquired a fragrance that was akin to roadkill... An umistakeable mix of armpit sweat, cycle jock scent and bengay/tiger balm. Coincidentally enough this is exactly the same fragrance that the inside of gearbags, helmet liners and mx socks come in, after a similar timeframe.

So these new safari towls... they work on the same principle as "baby wipes" do they...? without the annoying side effect that your face and hands end up smelling like an 9 month old's tucchus?

Old 11-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #3313
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 587
Whilst I'll never reach the heady heights of the Dakar, or indeed anything like it, I can confirm a decent seat would be on my list of priorities.

This year in the UK we had the Centennial Rally to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the ISDT/ISDE, this was a three day rally starting from Carlisle (where the first ISDT was held in 1913).

Day two in particular was a marathon by UK standards at 250 miles (400km), whereas we normally do about 90-120 miles (150 - 200km) on a normal (2 day) Rally. And as usual in the UK would be characterised by long liaisons and short specials (It's a crowded little Island after all).

As part of my preparation before the Rally, I did a training day near Cheltenham, 100 miles (160km) from my home. So hatched the plan to ride there and back (a 200 mile "liaison" on the road) as some endurance training.

Cycle shorts were worn (As I usually do when racing) but I have to say were less than effective. Whilst they seem to work when on a rally, where you are varying between sitting and standing even on the (largely off road) liaisons, doing that distance on the road where you are sitting, often in the same position was excruciating by the end of the day.

Luckily the final section was in the dark,, so nobody saw me ride the last 15 miles on the road standing up!

Monkey Butt indeed

MY BLOG

Mad Cow screwed with this post 11-23-2013 at 02:13 PM
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #3314
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,464
Team KTM at Le Havre........

Looks like the KTM boys have been busy, they only had enough parts for 2 new 450RR's when I was talking to them in Morocco, now there's 4

Those new 450RR's look even slimmer with that paint job....SWEET!
Attached Images

My Dakar Rally Experience
and blog www.LyndonPoskittRacing.com
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #3315
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
Looks like the KTM boys have been busy, they only had enough parts for 2 new 450RR's when I was talking to them in Morocco, now there's 4

Those new 450RR's look even slimmer with that paint job....SWEET!
I wonder if that will be the basis of the 2015 'customer' bike ? ..............

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote