ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #331
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed
 
JMo (& piglet)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Oddometer: 3,096
Right, it begins!

You may (or may not) be interested in this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=12659246

J xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #332
Bluebull2007
Adventurer
 
Bluebull2007's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Lima, Perú
Oddometer: 4,930
Sheeet Hayduke, hearing about this is one thing, seeing pictures of it is another entirely!

Good thing its just the GPS thats broke.
__________________
-
-
RIP Angelo Pandelidis aka Brodovich Team F5 leader and inventor of Brodomath.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #333
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
Sheeet Hayduke, hearing about this is one thing, seeing pictures of it is another entirely!

Good thing its just the GPS thats broke.



That's PFB's bike. Luckily there were no camera's around for my carnage. Mine went off an 8 foot cliff on top of me, then almost into a river. The gps was the only casualty, thankfully.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #334
pfb
Riding, not skiing.
 
pfb's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Boulder|Denver|Winter Park
Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
Sheeet Hayduke, hearing about this is one thing, seeing pictures of it is another entirely!

Good thing its just the GPS thats broke.
Zero damage, other than likely cleaning mud out of the nooks and crannies in the bike for the next six months...

The bike didn't crash, just sank into the mud standing up. To get it out, we laid it over on it's side to spin it around, then stood it back up, then tugged/pushed/spun it out. Sounds easy, but it took over 30 minutes on my own and another 30 minutes with three of us, to move it five feet.

Duke wasn't the only person to crash at the particular spot he went down about 20 miles earlier... Ever read "Into Thin Air"? It was our Hillary Step
__________________
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
950 Adventure 950 Super Enduro 450 XC-W Six Days
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #335
PackMule OP
love what you do
 
PackMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: New Hampshah
Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke



You western guys might know how to read silt, but you should come out here to learn how to read the wet stuff...


__________________
Nate in N.E.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA


Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #336
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
You western guys might know how to read silt, but you should come out here to learn how to read the wet stuff...



But, there it is all wet stuff.

PFB and I were together just before this. We chose different lines into the wash, then I didn't see him again.

(sorry Paul)
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #337
dox
How much for the ape?
 
dox's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, OH
Oddometer: 2,646
Hopefully not 205...

Spain seizes fake Dakar rally lorry loaded with cocaine



Link to article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8618428.stm

Looks like they almost got away with it... interesting move and quite a disguise.
__________________
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

dox screwed with this post 04-13-2010 at 11:50 AM
dox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #338
pfb
Riding, not skiing.
 
pfb's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Boulder|Denver|Winter Park
Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
PFB and I were together just before this. We chose different lines into the wash, then I didn't see him again.

(sorry Paul)
No worries! It's funny how the near disasters are what provides some of the best ride memories!

And you are right Packmule, I (had) little experience "reading" a dried mud wash for a booby trap like this one... Everything else was so dry bottomless mud pits were not even on my radar.
__________________
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
950 Adventure 950 Super Enduro 450 XC-W Six Days
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #339
LUDO
Studly Adventurer
 
LUDO's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: California
Oddometer: 974
Spain seizes fake Dakar rally truck loaded with cocaine

800 kgs of coke and 15000 ecstasy pills !! "it's all gone Pete Tong!"

Damn! my summer in Ibiza will be a lot less fun!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8618428.stm


Spanish police say they have seized more than 800kg (1,760lbs) of cocaine from a lorry disguised as an official backup vehicle for the Dakar rally.
The lorry was infiltrated into the race, which now takes place in South America, and loaded with cocaine before being shipped to Spain, police said.
The final destination for the drugs was the Spanish island of Ibiza, home to a major drugs trafficking ring.
Police said the cocaine was cleverly hidden in false bottoms in the lorry.
'Transformed'
The vehicle was sent from Bilbao in Spain to Argentina where it was loaded with the cocaine during a stage of the famous auto and motorcycle rally, held from 1-16 January.
It then followed the race to its conclusion before being shipped back to Bilbao, where it was seized by police when it arrived on Friday.
"The vehicle had been totally transformed to adapt it to its supposed participation in the competition as a support truck, with publicity and logos of the event painted on its side," a police statement released on Tuesday said.
In a joint operation with police in Argentina, Spanish police arrested seven suspects in Bilbao, Barcelona and Ibiza, all of them Spaniards.
Police said they were all members of a major drugs trafficking ring which was trying to smuggle the cocaine to the Balearic island of Ibiza in time for its famous summer party season.
The police said they also seized 15,000 ecstasy pills, hashish, guns and 47,000 euros (£41,500; $64,000) in cash.
Another 6,000 euros and false documents were found in an apartment in Barcelona that police suspect was used by the alleged head of the smuggling ring.
The Dakar rally was switched from Africa to South America in 2009 over security fears.
__________________
===========
Maldita Vida Boa
LUDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #340
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace
 
homerj's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: 742 Evergreen Terrace
Oddometer: 4,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb
No worries! It's funny how the near disasters are what provides some of the best ride memories!

And you are right Packmule, I (had) little experience "reading" a dried mud wash for a booby trap like this one... Everything else was so dry bottomless mud pits were not even on my radar.
I doubt you'll ever look at mud the same. I certainly don't after getting my 950 stuck. If it's more than a few feet, I'm looking for another route.

Sorry I didn't stop and help.
__________________
09 570 Rallye Beast
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…"-Hunter S. Thompson
homerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #341
Farmer_Ted
Crazy Kid!
 
Farmer_Ted's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 302
Dakar rally drug bust!!!

Quote:
Spanish police say they have seized more than 800kg (1,760lbs) of cocaine from a lorry disguised as an official backup vehicle for the Dakar rally. The lorry was infiltrated into the race, which now takes place in South America, and loaded with cocaine before being shipped to Spain, police said.
The final destination for the drugs was the Spanish island of Ibiza, home to a major drugs trafficking ring.
Police said the cocaine was cleverly hidden in false bottoms in the lorry.
'Transformed'
The vehicle was sent from Bilbao in Spain to Argentina where it was loaded with the cocaine during a stage of the famous auto and motorcycle rally, held from 1-16 January.
It then followed the race to its conclusion before being shipped back to Bilbao, where it was seized by police when it arrived on Friday.
"The vehicle had been totally transformed to adapt it to its supposed participation in the competition as a support truck, with publicity and logos of the event painted on its side," a police statement released on Tuesday said.
In a joint operation with police in Argentina, Spanish police arrested seven suspects in Bilbao, Barcelona and Ibiza, all of them Spaniards.
Police said they were all members of a major drugs trafficking ring which was trying to smuggle the cocaine to the Balearic island of Ibiza in time for its famous summer party season.
The police said they also seized 15,000 ecstasy pills, hashish, guns and 47,000 euros (£41,500; $64,000) in cash.
Another 6,000 euros and false documents were found in an apartment in Barcelona that police suspect was used by the alleged head of the smuggling ring.
The Dakar rally was switched from Africa to South America in 2009 over security fears.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8618428.stm

So THAT'S they fun their trips...
__________________
All I want to do is travel this world of ours one wheel rotation at a time...

Current Ride - 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Farmer_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #342
Kitedans
In love with my AT !!
 
Kitedans's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Catalonia - Spain
Oddometer: 39
-300x350.jpg[/IMG]

That is the lorry !!!
Kitedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #343
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,007
Sounds like someone just got handed the plot to a new movie.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #344
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb
But is it mud resistant??

F2r is a little banged up, but still works great.



And it went through a downpour and didn't leak a drop. Really happy with it.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #345
Farmer_Ted
Crazy Kid!
 
Farmer_Ted's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 302
101 on "How to fund a dakar team"...
__________________
All I want to do is travel this world of ours one wheel rotation at a time...

Current Ride - 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Farmer_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014