Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #3601
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
checking in

Who will be entering the Atacama Bang Bang parts special next year?
Hell, if I knew the lingo, I'd be watching ebay down there for hrc part souvenirs
Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #3602
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 930
F5 up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Its push ups in the living room, and laps in the snow for me- First race in T-40 days
What should be doing push up in the snow and what kind if laps in the snow? Speedos
See you at sandblast lol.
Let the games begin for next year

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #3603
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Its push ups in the living room, and laps in the snow for me- First race in T-40 days
http://www.bajarallymoto.com/baja-rally-20.html

http://www.rallydiabolico.com/
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #3604
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,102
I'm up for Sandblast and Diabolico, right now. Will see what September brings

Speedo laps around the yard in the snow is no way to train for the desert.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #3605
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 930
Wicked Snow and sand

Quote:
I'm up for Sandblast and Diabolico, right now. Will see what September brings

Speedo laps around the yard in the snow is no way to train for the desert.
You would b surprised how snow and sand feel the same. Both burn after a time and will scratch the hell out of you when you fall on it. They both are soft and can be hard while each one is never the same. Training in either will bring you to the edge so you can know your limits.
As for the speedo that's a personal choice.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #3606
fetid_swamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
dakar rule book qu

with bareda and coma now openly admitting of an eve they have a google earth/other preview of the upcoming stage/s, whats the rules to stop a teams printing out and marking up some sat images as hints for trickly sections and cutting them into the scrolls at the approp spot/s??

Standing on the front lawn, shirtless, arguing with meth head neighbours while surrounded by bemused cops with dogs and tasers at the ready, his mullet gently blowing in the breeze.
fetid_swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #3607
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetid_swamp View Post
dakar rule book qu

with bareda and coma now openly admitting of an eve they have a google earth/other preview of the upcoming stage/s, whats the rules to stop a teams printing out and marking up some sat images as hints for trickly sections and cutting them into the scrolls at the approp spot/s??

That's a good question. If they've been given the roadbook for the next day and then use Google Earth to scope out the terrain, that would seem to be against the rules and spirit of the Dakar, or any roadbook navigation rally.

OTOH how are you going to prevent any of the riders from using their smartphones at any point in the rally, including out on the specials? Cell service is getting very good in most of those areas.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #3608
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,102
theres a tricky bit.

Stagehand screwed with this post 01-20-2014 at 08:20 PM
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #3609
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,358
Quote:
dakar rule book qu

I found and marked shortcuts on stage, 6 I think it was?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #3610
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,319
A GE overview of the area knowing what lies north or east, but if you have to much detailed info out of the GE base, made by a GE weirdo, so not by yourself, that's a big difference, and you ride your roadbook course, your mind bubbles up I must go right here but road book says straight and you become distracted unsecure not focused and start to wonder, failures are made easily. And that on a 600 km course. There so much situations, danger points, you loose overview, stick to the roadbook.

It's like coloring your own roadbook, or let someone else do that, what is the difference?

There was a roadbook posted, on video, a little game try to make the track, how much time do you need to work that out?

It's like setting out a "route" with waypoints on the pc touristic ways for 500 km, that's what you want to ride, put it on GPS with other logorythem. And they the lady says go right here and you sure that you draw it left. Go left and recalculated, but first she says, make a U-turn, make a U-turn, make a U-turn, make a U-turn, stick to the roadbook, listen to the lady, you be fine.

Myway screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 01:30 AM
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:15 AM   #3611
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,832
The current rules allow for riders to carry a paper map but no aerial photography. They also forbid GPS equipped devices and we see guys on TV pulling their iphones.

At the top level I don't think there's much time to stop and try to figure out a solution to a lost WPM on a mobile device. That and doing it without being caught by your competitors, the orga or spectator video.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #3612
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
It's like setting out a "route" with waypoints on the pc touristic ways for 500 km, that's what you want to ride, put it on GPS with other logorythem. And they the lady says go right here and you sure that you draw it left. Go left and recalculated, but first she says, make a U-turn, make a U-turn, make a U-turn, make a U-turn, stick to the roadbook, listen to the lady, you be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
At the top level I don't think there's much time to stop and try to figure out a solution to a lost WPM on a mobile device. That and doing it without being caught by your competitors, the orga or spectator video.

I think both of these are the reasons why the ASO are closing a blind eye.

At the end of the day I'm sure its very helpful to have an overview of there the route will go and to memorize a couple of places beforehand, but its going to be hard work to memorize all the twists and turns in a 600...or even 300 km route and know that one particular area is in fact that place where it looked like maybe you could get lost.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #3613
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
tricky one this is indeed...

Finding shortcuts and using them would certainly be a direct way to break the rules and cheat.
Hidden way points are a way to counter this as you would still never know where those are until the gps tells you.
You could miss one of those on a shortcut you pre-planned and then you would have to go back to get it if the gps was nice enough to inform you of that, etc. There are other benefits like knowing that a certain ridge should be followed as opposed to dropping in a valley etc and that is where the grey area is as this is info that can provide an advantage.

Learning the course turn by turn? I have a real hard time believing this is possible...not the night before, not on the dakar with all of its snowball dangers, not even for someone with special memory and skills. Even the WRC drivers that get to recce the stages before don't entirely get to "learn" the course. Not even the stages that they ran in the past. Simply too much information to process and memorize that is why they make pace notes and have someone call them out for them. The road book is the bible and too many traps can be hidden, the only sure way is the road book.

Using a gps device while on the course for navigation or to aid navigation is a no no NO period no matter what.
Phones should only be used to send out awesome tweets to feed the F5irehose.
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #3614
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,832
Quote:
dakar rule book qu

More concretely:
Quote:
Dakar Regs 17P2

3) It is only authorised to carry on the Rider and his Machine, the route notes for the current Event (official Road Book), the opening car’s modifications, which may be integrated into the Road Book and personal notes resulting from a previous passage (whatever direction) in the current Event.
Maps are allowed with the exception of photographic satellite maps.
Riders who do not respect these rules will be refused the start or will be disqualified.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #3615
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,362
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ter-pilot.html

Is there anyone from this years Dakar top 10 who we may not vote for to do this?
too old is offline   Reply With Quote