Old 01-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #3707
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I didnt expect them to throw themselves at me

That's the wrong attitude mister.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #3708
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
That's the wrong attitude mister.
My heads big but I can still get it in a helmet
Old 01-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #3709
rtw02
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Honda Conversions...

"Sure 195Kg is heavy for a dual-sport thumper, but pretty much in the ball-park for a twin? - I think this could make an excellent 'all-road' adventure bike, more power and smoothness than the Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, and slightly more [off road] focused than the F800 or 800XC etc. and at a significantly cheaper price point? The modern day Kawasaki KLE, with cool styling!

Bring it on I say!"

Exactly

Cheers
rtw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #3710
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
How about Cyril's Packing list??

Cyril Despres Dakar Checklist

Motorcycle gear:
- 1 Ortema knee brace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
2 of everything. I'm gonna need more sponsors.
Only one of these. Wonder which one and the story behind it? Wounded alien.
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:09 AM   #3711
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I'm really impressed how they seem to have got significantly more travel (or at least more ride height) out of the rear end... if this works as well as it looks (which it certainly seems to!), I wouldn't be surprised to see Honda produce an 'adventure' version of the CB500X - very much styled along the lines of the pukka CRF450 Rally, but with this twin engine and more budget spec?

Sure 195Kg is heavy for a dual-sport thumper, but pretty much in the ball-park for a twin? - I think this could make an excellent 'all-road' adventure bike, more power and smoothness than the Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, and slightly more [off road] focused than the F800 or 800XC etc. and at a significantly cheaper price point? The modern day Kawasaki KLE, with cool styling!

Bring it on I say!

Jx

I'd love to see it too Jenny. But. I am sure marketing people have taken this project to the bin for whatever reasons they have....
How many XT660Zs Yamaha sold? I consider the bike a failure (only from sales point of view). For me, KTM should revive the 640 Adventure. KTM only sees sales numbers. And with all the people going bananas about accessories catalogues, travel enduro and such, even KTM which is ready to race , stopped the 990 and started to become ''BMW like'' . Big screens, heated grips, large saddles, more street oriented etc.
I am just an old school guy who used to travel as a kid on hid brother's white Transalp and after that on his Africa 650 (as a pillion of course...) that is why we like the old days, the old Dakar and the 80's I think . How old it too old? (and I dont mean the inmate ).
The engine is reliable, the service intervals are huge compared to a single 450. There are many good things in a project like that. What are the target sales though? That is always a huge question...

Having said that I would be up for one there were available, I contacted them through FB to see what exaclty they have done with the bikes, if there are specific changes, cost etc....
Old 01-31-2014, 02:13 AM   #3712
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
wow... at one thousand euros each no wonder he carries only one
I had never seen these before...

Another subject.

Laia's interview in English.
http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/01/30/...35_902435.html

I quote the last part of it ...

Quote:
Nor can she allow herself to think too much about being one of the few women taking part in the event. When asked whether the Dakar is designed for men, she doesn't hesitate to offer her response: "The Dakar is made for suffering, whether you're a man or a woman." Perhaps that suffering serves to bring together the competitors, because she says that there is "a very good atmosphere" between the riders, and that she has managed to avoid feeling different. Although that has not always been the case: "The first year perhaps they looked at me a bit strange, and if I wasn't performing well then they could say, 'She's just here because she's a woman.' But I think that by performing better and better each year in the end you carve out a place for yourself, and you earn respect. You end up being just another rider."

As such Sanz is determined to return to the Dakar, and hasn't ruled out competing in the car category. What she is less sure about is whether a woman will be able to win on a motorbike. "A woman has already won in a car, but on a bike... I wish," she says. "It won't be me. I think that whether we like it or not, physically there is a difference."
Old 01-31-2014, 02:34 AM   #3713
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,274
Quote:
I'd suggest that was a typo, and it means 1 pair... I can't imagine riding with only one knee brace - not only would it feel funny, but potentially leave the unbraced knee open to injury through additional stress?

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:46 AM   #3714
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I'd suggest that was a typo, and it means 1 pair... I can't imagine riding with only one knee brace - not only would it feel funny, but potentially leave the unbraced knee open to injury through additional stress?

Jx
Either one pair or he wears another brand on the other leg to get two sponsors
No way the other knee is without brace. .
Old 01-31-2014, 03:02 AM   #3715
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
I'd love to see it too Jenny. But. I am sure marketing people have taken this project to the bin for whatever reasons they have....
How many XT660Zs Yamaha sold? I consider the bike a failure (only from sales point of view). For me, KTM should revive the 640 Adventure. KTM only sees sales numbers...
I'm trying to find the numbers to back it up, but I'm pretty sure Yamaha consider the Tenere has been a success in recent years (in what is of course a pretty small market segment as a whole anyway) - it's possible that ultimate sales have been slightly hampered by the cost of European production reflected in an increasing retail price - but they have sold thousands since the launch in 2008, and it is very popular in Australia for example (who initially were whining about how much it was going to cost - before they got it, rode it and loved it!).

Not wanting to split hairs, but in comparison, the KTM640 Adventure only ever sold in the few hundreds, especially at the end of it's life... although that is not to say a 690 version wouldn't be significantly more appealing in today's market!

But I think that illustrates the point - the 650cc thumper category is only ever going to appeal to a certain type of rider - a subset of a subset in marketing terms...

A twin on the other hand is seen as much more of a 'do-it-all' proposition - the perception of more power and smoothness (which is not unfounded on the whole) - mile munching capability without too much of a weight or complexity penalty.

It is only because of the bloody 'Long Way Round' that everyone thinks an 'Adventure' bike needs to be a 500lb 1200cc behemoth! Ironically, even BMW have conceded by developing an 800cc alternative, similarly Triumph - while Honda soldiered on with the 700cc Transalp (in Europe anyway)... I believe it won't be long until we see a whole new generation of bikes that offer similar performance out of smaller capacities, driven in no small part by the desire/need for fuel economy and 'environmental' concerns - in an effort to keep this post remotely connected to rallying, we've seen it already from the current generation of 450cc rally bikes - they produce similar power (and certainly real world performance) to their old 690cc counterparts, with significant savings in fuel and rider fatigue?

With the drive for better fuel economy (something Honda particularly are concentrating on in the 2 wheeled market now) - I'd have thought a derivative of their 'world market' CB500X would be just the ticket - 80% of the on-paper performance (and I would suggest closer to 95% of real-world performance, and 120% of actual off-road performance!) of their flagship wunder-bikes, and pave the way for manufacturers in general to move away from these huge (and stupidly expensive) leviathans?

Jx
Old 01-31-2014, 03:06 AM   #3716
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Either one pair or he wears another brand on the other leg to get two sponsors
Ha ha - I like that thinking!

Jx
Old 01-31-2014, 04:22 AM   #3717
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 937
adding

Not this is rally news but to add to Jenny's statement I agree with what she said.
Not that I do not like more power and that equals more cc at times. But in a true adventure there is going to be (hope) off roading, as we saw on the long way round. I would rather have a small bike to deal with hard stuff and pay for it on the slab. I agree KTM missed the mark on the 690 and ADVing it, but guess it would have taken away from the 990. So I think a 450-500cc adv bike would be the best of both worlds. Now CCM has made it and it looks good so far . We see the Dakar riders on 450 cc riding thousands of kms and even with one motor. Now I imagine they do a lot of service to it vs real world service in a persons garage. But they have the platform to build from it and make it mass market. Who would not want a bike that looks like a Dakar type bike, without the price though. Now I am not saying use all the same high end stuff but there must be a middle point, price and look. The closer they can make it look like one the more they could sell IMO.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:36 AM   #3718
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Quote:
http://www.motorex.com/index.cfm?oid...=eintragDetail ]Very quickly Cyril got a taste for his new sport and discovered the risks involved.

"I was competing at regional level (Ile de France) and in the first three years had plenty of accidents. I Broke a toe, then a thumb and injured my knee. But I also had a lot of fun."
The Ortema carbon K-Com is custom made to each user and it costs 2000 eur each leg.

I don't wonder at that price, after having meniscal surgery I once used some "cheap" EVS's (~350 EUr each) and they were such a pain (literally!) that after a while I gave up on them. And I only used them for Sunday rides! Also they sucked at patella protection, left big gaps exposed. Still have them around the garage waiting to go on e-bay, anyone interested?

In Despres's list I am surprised at goggles qty 1. That and gloves I would take plenty.

Boy we really need some racing going on. In a while we'll be discussing the alien´s choice of underwear...

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:40 AM   #3719
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Boy we really need some racing going on. In a while we'll be discussing the alien´s choice of underwear...
I see no bandanas in his list and only Red Bull hats. Is something wrong?
Old 01-31-2014, 04:43 AM   #3720
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post

You asked for it…

wilkinsonk is online now   Reply With Quote