Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 04:56 AM   #3931
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Back to basics - the competition
4 weeks until a live event, no mountains or freezing temps, plenty of sand and heat

Could this be the first and last time we see this bike in it's original guise
If you mean that one in particular, as far as I've heard, it's already no more, along the other 3 survived to the Dakar
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #3932
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
If you mean that one in particular, as far as I've heard, it's already no more, along the other 3 survived to the Dakar
What's the story Gian?

The man himself says he's going to use it:

OTOH he also said
Big news coming soon

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:26 AM   #3933
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,992
It would'nt surprise me if HRC have put BamBam's ex-(this year) Dakar bike through the crusher... after the flogging it copped in January, it'd probbably be difficult to distinguish the "before" and "after" photo anyway...?

Not at all surprising if Barreda is at the UAE DC with a brand new scooter, HRC are probably turning them out of the cookie cutter at a great rate of knots just now. same goes for the KTM factory guys for that matter... hardly expect that they will front there on bikes that did the '14 Dakar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:39 AM   #3934
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
just... a... bit... more... ... I think I saw it twitch!

No the theoretical "cut off" at CP2 remains the same at 15:49 pm... I had accounted for the delayed start in my original calculation on post # 3907 http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3907

So according to the time stamps on mischa's tracking site for CP2 of SS3 (Canyongate) there were seven riders who passed that CP2 after the 15.49 pm cut-off time and went on to the San Juan bivouac via the "course"... the last of them being Mike Johnson at 18:17 pm.

The only consistency seems to be the lack of any.
Beating a dead horse ja, but what else were we going to do. We did not discuss it to its utter conclusion like we have all the other "gates" Now we can and we will because its still 46 weeks to the Dakar.

So let me get this right: The guy directing people into the canyon was most probably the official at CP2? Lets face it, CP2 was still pretty high and maybe he was trying to be a good samaritan after all.

Here is how I see it:

He is told that after a certain cutoff time he should stop guys from continuing on the route for safety reasons. A small crowd of very angry and frustrated rider encroach on him sitting in the open door of his land cruiser. "You have to let us go on, we have paid thousands of dollars for this! We have rights! The sun is still high in the sky! You are being unreasonable and unfair". He feels like a real ass sticking to his guns, and he can hear the guys swearing at him to each other. Some riders are crying. Their rally dreams are over. All because of his instructions.

Then he thinks twice. Maybe he can save the day after all, and somehow let the guys continue without them going up the mountain. This way he will become their friend again, and, even better: He would have honored the instructions from his boss not to let people continue on the official route. Yeah, he thinks to himself, there is no rule saying the guys can ride somewhere else.

So he consults his little map showing the general course route with key safety info and GPS positions of some key spots as well (that get issued to officials each day). The official draws the conclusion that maybe the guys can "shortcut" the mountain by going in a certain direction, thereby staying in the race, but picking up penalties for missed WPM's. He suggests this to one of the blokes waiting at the CP to try go off that way, down that broad valley (valleys always look broad from the top). All they have to do is keep right and they will get back to the official route. "Just stay right and you should be fine..."

Delighted and tired of waiting, the pilot tells his buddies, "hey lets go! We have a new way out of here" The guys all follow his directions only to find that its a dead end, and no way to return up the way they came. They get very pissed off, and the lead pilot later joins them blaming the official for directing them to their demise. There was no way the official knew that the canyon was in fact impassable and a trap, but he genuinely thought it would be a good idea and it "looked okay" from where he was.

Meanwhile, our heroes Yannick and Mike (I will assume he was with Yannick until wrk2srf tells us the real story) have been napping. They're too tired to start arguing with officials. They awake to the sounds of people riding off, but they are delayed. They get their things together and off they go, past the arm waving official before he can get out of his car again to show them the "new way". The arm waving official considers informing race PC what is happening but due to his own guilt in letting the others sneak off as well he decides not to. Instead he starts to really worry about his own culpability if anything bad should happen to the two riders. This cements his decision. No way is he going to mention what just happened to anyone!

And that is - as they say - how canyongate happens, and how our heroes made it to the bivouac!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:09 AM   #3935
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
And that is - as they say - how canyongate happens, and how our heroes made it to the bivouac!

"Canyongate, the ultimate thruth", by Neil BlueBull. Even if it were all speculation, I would buy your book in a hartbeat!

MotoXplorers.com
Old 03-06-2014, 06:09 AM   #3936
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Bluebull... you can get all of that just from one second hand rider account, reported days after the fact - who was reputedly quoted as saying; "There was a guy in a 4WD with a white ASO T-shirt, who pointed us the wrong way..."

here's your new t-shirt;

WORLD CHAMPION 2014

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 03-06-2014, 07:17 AM   #3937
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
It would'nt surprise me if HRC have put BamBam's ex-(this year) Dakar bike through the crusher... after the flogging it copped in January, it'd probbably be difficult to distinguish the "before" and "after" photo anyway...?

Not at all surprising if Barreda is at the UAE DC with a brand new scooter, HRC are probably turning them out of the cookie cutter at a great rate of knots just now. same goes for the KTM factory guys for that matter... hardly expect that they will front there on bikes that did the '14 Dakar?
It's an old story since from the old dakar times... how many NXR survived? Only 2 from the last series, none of the first ones (and we are talking about 3 winning bikes!) . Absurd but so it went and apparently still goes
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #3938
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
It's an old story since from the old dakar times... how many NXR survived? Only 2 from the last series, none of the first ones (and we are talking about 3 winning bikes!) . Absurd but so it went and apparently still goes

I know we are talking about the other NXR beasts, but I though the bikes back form the 90's are nice
Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #3939
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

It's true... same with a lot of the other old "factory exotica", like the Lucky Strike Cagiva's, Gilera RC600's, Suzuki BIG's etc. After their lifespan is over, the factories dimantle/crush much of the surplus unobtanium.

On occassion, during various visits to Marocco/Mauritania, Senegal etc., while passing through townships/villages etc. I've caught glimpse of various bikes here and there, with "Dakar" tanks or sideplates or various paraphenalia. Stuff which I (assume?) has been "recovered" from abandonned bikes/vehicles etc. left out on the piste, and retrieved by the nomad folk...

I once saw a moped (Puch Dakota or similar) belting through a backstreet of Ouzazarte, with an old metal (and dinted) DR650 Dakar tank hap hazzardly fitted to it (where the step through foot well is normally) - complete with the old TSO and Total Paris- Dakar sponsor sticker and logo's on it.

It's fun to witness how much of the "old" Dakar parephenalia is still floating about down there... now going on soon eight years since the event last touched african soil...

Quote:

Quote:
Old 03-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #3940
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
I know we are talking about the other NXR beasts, but I though the bikes back form the 90's are nice
That particular bike never saw duty on a Dakar (Honda never raced the XR 600 at factory level on the Dakar) but a couple of old mates of mine sure used them to good effect down under for a lot of years.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 03-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #3941
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
That particular bike never saw duty on a Dakar (Honda never raced the XR 600 at factory level on the Dakar) but a couple of old mates of mine sure used them to good effect down under for a lot of years.
I know, picked it up in an old thread from 2011 ... Some beautifull bikes over there.
Back to the subject, I can see the point of running around thinkinng that you have time to make to the bivvy. But, if you manage to kill yourself in the process, things would have turned around completely different.
To me, this year, the orga just did not have the resources to cover the event, may be they allocated them weird, dunno. But the incident with Eric Palante is also still not clear to me. At the time, it is the orga who makes decisions. Not the riders. And the riders have agreed to that end. Imagine every single rider doing whatever he wishes because he ''thinks'' the orga is wrong and he can make it. This time it worked in the rider's favour. What if it did not?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #3942
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

So he consults his little map showing the general course route with key safety info and GPS positions of some key spots as well (that get issued to officials each day). The official draws the conclusion that maybe the guys can "shortcut" the mountain by going in a certain direction, thereby staying in the race, but picking up penalties for missed WPM's. He suggests this to one of the blokes waiting at the CP to try go off that way, down that broad valley (valleys always look broad from the top). All they have to do is keep right and they will get back to the official route. "Just stay right and you should be fine..."

Actually the riders that went in the dead end valley did it on their own accord, without instruction.

Roadbook said follow the ridge and then down while the arrow on the CAP/GPS units showed the next waypoint as on their right (if I remember correctly) . So they went down towards their right, followed the along the bottom cayon until the end couldnt get out.

Follow the roadbook instead of the arrow .. How hard can it be...

See image below.. No manny to be found there according to Hans Vogels, he went down the canyon too and had a horrible time climbing back out...

tehdutchie screwed with this post 03-06-2014 at 08:01 AM Reason: Add pic
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #3943
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Actually the riders that went in the dead end valley did it on their own accord, without instruction.
There was someone from the Orga "helping" the riders. According to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Kocanda View Post
I just got information what happened to our friend Jan Vesely (private rider from Liberec, Czech Rep.).
He had almost no problems today. Tried to speed up after delays from yesterday, where he spent more time helping people then allows regulations. He was doing better on CP1 and arrived on the top of the highest hill in the special. There was "an organiser" as he call authorities from ASO and was showing racers direction. On the top of the hill appeared in GPS arrow to the finish - 8km. Direction of the arrow was matching what the person was showing. Angle from roadbook was matching and there were many tracks leading down that way. So he descent and with him about 5 other riders. In the walley was Ruben Faria´s motorcycle wreck also. The walley changed to a narrow canyon between 15m high rocks with just 1m distance between. Impossible to continue - dead end. In time when they rescued them by helikopter, there was at least 20 bikes. BTW, they spotted Patronelli´s crash there also. All this shit happened on one place.
He is now in marathon bivouac. Bikes will rescue tomorrow by helikopter. It´s end for all of them. In the bivouac is nobody from ORG, no jury no chance to do anything. Simply end of the race for them. Jan´s bike is untouched, perfect shape, he is in good shape as well - just cannot race anymore.

Regards to F5 team from him specifically (he wrote - regards to people from Adventure Rider who follow me and followed me in past years). Maybe you remember this shot, what he shooted for you:

This one is from 2012:

There is a more detailed version of this story as Tomas K got to interview Jan Vesely after his return but I can't find it in the hypermegathread.

MotoXplorers.com
Old 03-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #3944
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Getting Dakar unobtanium is pretty tough in the states, so I finally built my own replica on a 690 base so I could make vroom vroom noises in the desert and not just do F5.

White one with no graphics (yet) is mine

At least I get to ride with a real 690RR that ran the 2009 SA Dakar

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #3945
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Getting Dakar unobtanium is pretty tough in the states, so I finally built my own replica on a 690 base so I could make vroom vroom noises in the desert and not just do F5.

White one with no graphics (yet) is mine

At least I get to ride with a real 690RR that ran the 2009 SA Dakar

You must be JOKING

Funny I designed and sent this mounting bracket to the states mid Feb....
Hows the kit cyborg?

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 03-06-2014 at 08:17 AM
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote