User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #3976
chavo_dakar_bolivia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Laugh Too funny!

With my kids at grandmas house and my wife in ER for Dengue fever treatment (whoever lives in South America has probably heard of Dengue fever, by mosquito bite) I am enjoying reading through this thread!
I agree that with no races , and 10 months till next dakar,the dead horse should keep on its way to the funeral, continue the trip with all the "gates" !

If anybody has questions for an insider like me, shoot! Ill try to answer as much as i can...
Old 03-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #3977
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Guys, a small general request please:

Call me over sensitive if you like, but I would appreciate it if folks toned down the anti Christian God rhetoric we have seen over the past couple of days.

Its offensive to quite a few and I have been receiving complaints. Not aimed at anyone in particular, but this kind of stuff really should be left for the basement.

Thanks,
Neil
I for one would appreciate it! (not that it isn't funny )

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #3978
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Guys, a small general request please:

Call me over sensitive if you like, but I would appreciate it if folks toned down the anti Christian God rhetoric we have seen over the past couple of days.

Its offensive to quite a few and I have been receiving complaints. Not aimed at anyone in particular, but this kind of stuff really should be left for the basement.

Thanks,
Neil
Best not bring my local "friends" into this then

Oh and Troy - Monty Python is still side splitting, but not sure how many inmates are up speed on that, it's a bit like F1 on this thread I suppose?

too old screwed with this post 03-07-2014 at 07:05 PM
too old is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #3979
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavo_dakar_bolivia View Post
With my kids at grandmas house and my wife in ER for Dengue fever treatment (whoever lives in South America has probably heard of Dengue fever, by mosquito bite) I am enjoying reading through this thread!
I agree that with no races , and 10 months till next dakar,the dead horse should keep on its way to the funeral, continue the trip with all the "gates" !

If anybody has questions for an insider like me, shoot! Ill try to answer as much as i can...
Wow Chavo non too pleasant, we all hope she recovers quickly - are you heading to Abu Dhabi & Qatar later this month - as there is some racing to keep us going, it might just be enough for those with serious Dakar addictions

too old screwed with this post 03-07-2014 at 07:34 PM
Old 03-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #3980
chavo_dakar_bolivia
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Wow Chavo non too pleasant, we all hope she recovers quickly - are you heading to Abu Dhabi, Qatar later this month - as there is some racing to keep us going, it might just be enough for those with serious addictions
Unfortunately no AbuDhabi or Qatar for me this year...if its still on, I will do Pharaons Rally (kinda forced to do it since they kept my entry fee from last year, but on the other hand I also liked that rally very much). If no Pharaons Rally then I ll probably do Sardegna. Gotta build my enduro skills!
In this southern hemesphere I will do all Dakar Series...argentina, paraguay and Peru. Charapa will you show up?
Old 03-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #3981
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:

The dengue is not a nice disease to have, hope the Mrs gets well soon!

I have a some Dakar questions for you:

Which day was the hardest for you this year? Can you tell us more about it?

About speed penalties on the liaisons: Is it easy to stay within the prescribed speed limits? Does the ERTF screech at you before you get to the penalty stage?

Im pretty sure which was the best day for you, but can you tell us a little bit more about how you felt with the reception you got on the ride through to Uyuni and in Uyuni? I don't think the place will ever be the same again!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #3982
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,199
Old 03-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #3983
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Actually that picture (which I made) is a little wrong. The official route off the end was actually down to the other side of the mountain, not to the side you can see in the pic. I also think Sam's escape route was also to to that side of the mountain (the western side).

The interesting part is Jan Vesely's description which refers to the Spot and only 8km to the finish. Hmm.

I'm not sure we will ever get to the bottom of this. That's why I am interested to hear what the female quad rider who was rescued to continue had to say about the whole thing.
Neil - just in case there is the slightest breath left in the horse the group that Sam, Grabbo! Speedy, Ruben and Javier were in dropped off to the left and did eventually find an arduous route home
Old 03-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #3984
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Unfortunately no AbuDhabi or Qatar for me this year...if its still on, I will do Pharaons Rally (kinda forced to do it since they kept my entry fee from last year, but on the other hand I also liked that rally very much). If no Pharaons Rally then I ll probably do Sardegna. Gotta build my enduro skills!
In this southern hemesphere I will do all Dakar Series...argentina, paraguay and Peru. Charapa will you show up?
I will be at Desafio Inca 2014 Chavo with a group to cheer you on!

Gotta get me a Bolivian flag! Can you help with that Niel before September? The bigger, the better

Toby

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #3985
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,634
Quote:
Thanks,
Neil
I'm not sure how you could call any of the religion based humor in this thread "Anti-Christian-God Rhetoric".
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #3986
chavo_dakar_bolivia
Adventurer

Quote:
The dengue is not a nice disease to have, hope the Mrs gets well soon!

I have a some Dakar questions for you:

Which day was the hardest for you this year? Can you tell us more about it?

About speed penalties on the liaisons: Is it easy to stay within the prescribed speed limits? Does the ERTF screech at you before you get to the penalty stage?

Im pretty sure which was the best day for you, but can you tell us a little bit more about how you felt with the reception you got on the ride through to Uyuni and in Uyuni? I don't think the place will ever be the same again!
-The toughest stage for me was without a doubt stage 3... Short guy on a tall rally bike, on technical rocky mountains stuff is not the best combination! For one, I am not used to mountains. Where I live in Santa Cruz is mostly lowlands, so the big climbs and decents stress me out. Then the rocks are also not my best friend. I am a desert guy! But this is something I am going to work on really hard during this year.
On that stage I had Mario Patrao #36 right behind me using me for navigation until the big climb...(his roadbook was not working so he asked if he could just follow me. I said OK) Then on the big climb I didnt make it on the first try, and waited a few minutes for Paolo Ceci to see how to go up, but he also didnt make it! When I saw that I thought holy shit we are in trouble! hahahha(His specialty is mountain enduros like Sardegna so I excpected him to cruise up easily) Then I had a second try, which I failed because I accidentally hit Paolo on the way up who was still trying to turn the bike around. After that I was out of breathe and out of energy, so I just sat down for 10-15 minutes. After I recovered , I took a 3rd do-or-die attempt and made it up. At the top of the mountain I stopped to see if Paolo was coming up, and took oxygen from a spectator who was up there with a Toyota truck.
-It is not too hard to mantain on the speed limits for the liasons. unless you are in a hurry because you are running out of time to make your start hour and you have to keep at the limit 118-120 km/h. at this point the alarm is constantly on. between 115-118 it only beeps. ERTF checks your gps at your arrivals. I found out that if you go over the limit between 1-5km/h over, for 1-2 seconds, this is not registered on the gps and you get no penalty. I guess its because it does not send a complete impulse...
-the reception in Bolivia was incredible like you saw on TV. I never thought so many people where gonna be there. What really got me was the fact that there were so many people that have never watched a race or competition before, and they where there cheering me , for just supporting our country. I am talking about grandmothers, peasants, farmers, children... And it was a genuine excitment and support. I also never expected the president to be there all the time! First in his helicopter following me, then landing at the finish to greet me, and finally at the podium to greet me again...It was a wonderful experience.
What was terrible for me though, was the time I didnt have in the bivouac. I say terrible because everybody wanted a picture, autograph, something, ...and I almost didnt even have time to eat. That night I couldnt work on a my roadbook...Paolo just cut and paste it for me , and the next day I started with a unmarked roadbook. Not good...
I hope the Dakar comes to Bolivia again next year. We will know in 3 weeks.. Cross your fingers!
Take a look at this video, it has some great shots of Bolivia, and some paradise fishing spots!
http://vimeo.com/83099949
If you can correctly link this video, please look VIMEO under THE PROVO BROS, name of the video: What Kind of Meat?
Old 03-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #3987
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,747
Thanks Chavo

Best of luck this season

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #3988
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly99 View Post
thanks chavo

best of luck this season
+1
Old 03-08-2014, 10:50 PM   #3989
mototahoe
nevada adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Look who I had on my Flight into LAX.....

I fly for AA, and i recently had the 14 winner on my flight from MIA to LAX. He said he was on his way to meet Jay Leno to shoot the video segment above.

Very friendly, and seemed surprised I knew who he was. Had to ask for the obligatory shot.......

08 Ducati Hypermotard
mototahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #3990
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
On that stage I had Mario Patrao #36 right behind me using me for navigation until the big climb...(his roadbook was not working so he asked if he could just follow me. I said OK) Then on the big climb I didnt make it on the first try, and waited a few minutes for Paolo Ceci to see how to go up, but he also didnt make it! When I saw that I thought holy shit we are in trouble! hahahha(His specialty is mountain enduros like Sardegna so I excpected him to cruise up easily)
Yes Paolo should be really trained for difficult enduro trails, but on the other way he's not really a big guy too! I met him at Verona Expo Bike in January and is about the half height (I'm joking) of Catanese and the half large than Botturi (not joking) I asked my self for days how it could make it to the end... mental strenght for sure

Gian screwed with this post 03-09-2014 at 10:39 AM
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote