Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #4216
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
You don't acquire "alien" status just because one checks out... you earn it by lopping off it's head...
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:28 AM   #4217
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Why is Sean Bean making a rude Brazilian gesture?

Stefan
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:17 AM   #4218
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,386
So giving nothing away as yet then - we will have to wait the the announcement to be made shortly, although on the rally site Laia is identified as part of the team - who else?

http://www.teamhrc.com/rally/news/?r...nt_report=2929

[I][/2014 will be an important year for Team HRC, as it officially takes part in various world championship tests, with the main goal of consolidating the number one position won by Paulo Gonçalves last season.

In order to complete its immediate goals, the team has been restructured, naming Wolfgang Fischer as Team Manager for Team HRC for 2014 and the Rally Dakar 2015.

For the FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Championship, Team HRC also confirms the presence of riders Paulo Gonçalves and Hélder Rodrigues from Portugal, as well as Spanish Joan Barreda. Hélder Rodrigues picked up fifth overall place in the last edition of Dakar 2014 with Joan Barreda taking five stage victories and seventh overall position. Paulo Gonçalves is currently the reigning FIM Cross-Country Rallies World champion.

The other riders who will race for the Team HRC as well as the others supported riders by Honda in Dakar 2015 and other races , are to be announced shortly.I]
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #4219
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,635
Looks like Pizzolito is odd man out and has moved to the auspices of Honda Argentina. Interestingly it looks as though Katsumi Yamazaki is also gone. HRC is going lean. The three man squad is an odd one and won't work. I half expect Jeremias Israel to move to the factory squad, at least for Dakar. He's a Speedbrain customer and shares management with Barreda so the pieces fit.

KTM's short lived foray into the water carrier-less team didn't last too long, I don't expect HRC to do well with it either. Team orders are generally frowned upon but they are essential in a well run, productive team. HRC would do well to get it out of the way, assign primary and support riders and then let them fulfill those roles. The ambiguity helps no one. So far it works for Barreda and Goncalves not through HRC guidance, but because they have been teammates for a long time and have a good relationship. HRC needs to start asserting itself strategically and in a managerial fashion and stop relying too much on a technical solution.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #4220
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Looks like Pizzolito is odd man out and has moved to the auspices of Honda Argentina. Interestingly it looks as though Katsumi Yamazaki is also gone. HRC is going lean. The three man squad is an odd one and won't work. I half expect Jeremias Israel to move to the factory squad, at least for Dakar. He's a Speedbrain customer and shares management with Barreda so the pieces fit.

KTM's short lived foray into the water carrier-less team didn't last too long, I don't expect HRC to do well with it either. Team orders are generally frowned upon but they are essential in a well run, productive team. HRC would do well to get it out of the way, assign primary and support riders and then let them fulfill those roles. The ambiguity helps no one. So far it works for Barreda and Goncalves not through HRC guidance, but because they have been teammates for a long time and have a good relationship. HRC needs to start asserting itself strategically and in a managerial fashion and stop relying too much on a technical solution.
It's an interesting appraisal of the situation Doyle - I for one see too many chefs and not enough cooks in the current HRC line-up?

Barreda has certainly got speed - but do they really expect the current world champion Goncalves to effectively play back up to him again next year? - especially after the carnage (and loss of the podium) this year?

Similarly, Helder came to HRC very much as a premier (if not outright #1 rider)... I can see Laia Sanz perhaps backing up Helder in the overall, but she also has very much her own fight contending the Ladies Class* win too...

*Although to be fair, that class has been very small the past couple of years, not withstanding the fact she is far faster than any of the current women, and indeed, most of the guys too!

I certainly agree that two 'teams' of two riders, who ultimately can support each other (effectively KTM's ongoing model) would make a lot more sense for HRC come 2015...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #4221
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,594
Never forget that their are two HRC teams (HRC and Speedbrain). Also people signed contracts....last years Dakar they tried to get rider(s) to play the water carrier role but lawyers almost got involved. My understanding was this was on the days leading up to the Dakar.

Ego's and politics...HRC has them

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #4222
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Never forget that their are two HRC teams (HRC and Speedbrain). Also people signed contracts....last years Dakar they tried to get rider(s) to play the water carrier role but lawyers almost got involved. My understanding was this was on the days leading up to the Dakar.

Ego's and politics...HRC has them
I think the days of two teams within the team are gone with Speedbrain and Wolfgang Fischer winning that battle. Helder has a contract but it is my understanding that he has little say in the running of the team and in turn, gets little support. Martino is very much pro-Wolfgang and Wolfgang is very much pro-Barreda/Goncalves. They are a good pairing so I don't expect much fight between them. It's clear that Barreda is the number one and as speedy as Goncalves is, quite frankly, one just has to contest all the WC rounds to be a front runner so as a World Championship, it hold as about as little status as any. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to dimish the title or Goncalves, I really like him, but I think the Goncalves/Barreda/Wolfgang/Martino/HRC hierarchy is pretty established and understood by those parties.

Helder is odd man out, but much of that is his own doing. I hear his bike preferences are so far off from the rest of the team to almost be inconsequential for developing the feel of the bike for the rest of the team. My own opinion is that his relative lack of performance means that HRC will honor his contract and then he will be shown the door.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #4223
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
I think the days of two teams within the team are gone with Speedbrain and Wolfgang Fischer winning that battle. Helder has a contract but it is my understanding that he has little say in the running of the team and in turn, gets little support. Martino is very much pro-Wolfgang and Wolfgang is very much pro-Barreda/Goncalves. They are a good pairing so I don't expect much fight between them. It's clear that Barreda is the number one and as speedy as Goncalves is, quite frankly, one just has to contest all the WC rounds to be a front runner so as a World Championship, it hold as about as little status as any. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to dimish the title or Goncalves, I really like him, but I think the Goncalves/Barreda/Wolfgang/Martino/HRC hierarchy is pretty established and understood by those parties.

Helder is odd man out, but much of that is his own doing. I hear his bike preferences are so far off from the rest of the team to almost be inconsequential for developing the feel of the bike for the rest of the team. My own opinion is that his relative lack of performance means that HRC will honor his contract and then he will be shown the door.
After the unsporting behaviour of WF in last years ADDC when he cost Sam the win in reporting an innocuous off course error "expecting the officials to do something about it" he doesn't get my for success.

Well now we are orange again he wouldn't in any event
Old 04-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #4224
too old
Keen supporter

Desafio Ruta 40

Another event running next week - still can't believe Casteu is fit to ride less than 3 months after that horrific shoulder injury and rebuild - mind you he did ride half the Dakar with it shattered
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #4225
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
so, any inmates here for the desert challenge scrutineering / general loitering around action ?
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:39 AM   #4226
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Hrc team is ready... Fbook

rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:58 AM   #4227
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
so, any inmates here for the desert challenge scrutineering / general loitering around action ?
Ollie Lloyd (OWL Racing) is entered - #24

Not sure if he is checking in here, but he's updating on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ollie.lloyd.923?fref=ts

Jx
Old 04-04-2014, 04:42 AM   #4228
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Hot news just in the from the Dyno room!

(this is not the actual dyno room, obviously...)

Martin Wittering and John Mitchinson from Rally Raid Products have got the LC4-50 on the dyno this morning, and the results are nothing short of fantastic!

After setting up the fueling correctly, the 450cc short-stroke LC4-50 engine produced 43.6bhp (that is actual Rear Wheel BHP) at a maximum of 7190rpm...

edited. It also produces a maximum of 33.7lb/ft torque at 6800rpm, with 80% of that available from 3500rpm upwards "It's like a diesel!" says John "It pulls like a tractor now!"

This really is fantastic news, as John would have been happy if they'd hit 40bhp with their short-stroke over-square 450cc conversion to the original LC4 690 engine.

"To compare [with other 450cc enduro bikes]" he says "They had a 2014 model WR450F on the dyno here last week, and that made 43bhp RWHP too) - so we are right where we wanted to be!"

As a further comparison, Martin and John brought along a stock 40,000 mile 2010 model KTM 690 Enduro (654cc) as a benchmark, that achieved 59.1bhp at 6800rpm, and 46.4 lb/ft torque at 6250rpm.

STOP PRESS!

Just had a phone call from John - after successful testing with the stock rev limiter in place, they decided to see what it would make by upping the limit to 8800rpm... 46.9bhp - rear wheel horsepower!!!

edit. 2.05pm - they've hit 47.1bhp @ 8260rpm now!

"They guys [at the dyno shop] were so impressed with it - they felt it could go all day at full chat" explains John "And asked if I wanted to raise the limiter just to see what we could get out of it - we'd already got [more than] what we wanted, so I didn't care if it blew up... (not that it was going to of course), and sure enough, we got even more power out of it!!!"

Because they are building a custom fuel map for the engine, it is quite possible that further refinements can be made - and the intention is to build the new base map and then set up the bike again in a couple of weeks time - stay tuned!

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 09:57 AM
Old 04-04-2014, 04:50 AM   #4229
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 933
Thumb wow

Thats great new glad to hear that this project is working out for you and anyone who has a 690 (if they want to convert it that is). I am and will continue watching the progress on the other thread. But wow good numbers for it

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #4230
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
Will be there tomorrow for the prologue