Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 01:37 AM   #4456
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Is the bugly in it again this year?
mate... they're ALL building "Buglies" now it seems (2WD is the new black? ).

There's the new Black Bull PUGLY, the tried and true Red Blue SMuGlies, the Frenchy Vigoreax/Baldwin Truglies and now rumour has it, that even Chicherit is working on a new back wheel drive... after retiring from making MINI pancakes.

Seem's they're all gettin' in on RG's game... Now I know what his plan is! Gonna' get everyone to go "2wd drive"... then he will turn up with a kick ass Pro-Four set-up and pull the carpet out from under the entire bivouac...!

... look's like carpente found it..."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:05 AM   #4457
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
mate... they're ALL building "Buglies" now it seems (2WD is the new black? ).

There's the new Black Bull PUGLY, the tried and true Red Blue SMuGlies, the Frenchy Vigoreax/Baldwin Truglies and now rumour has it, that even Chicherit is working on a new back wheel drive... after retiring from making MINI pancakes.

Seem's they're all gettin' in on RG's game... Now I know what his plan is! Gonna' get everyone to go "2wd drive"... then he will turn up with a kick ass Pro-Four set-up and pull the carpet out from under the entire bivouac...!

I still wonder about Peugeot's return and the way the sport is going.
From my understanding too, spare wheels are missing and unless there is a kind of a new tech in the tires, I can't see them charging for a good place without spares on the car. Well, may be there is a French guy with a moustache there, leaving wheels in the desert for them, but what the heck...

Too tall and too narrow will result in a tumbledryer in my opinion. EDIT: Imagine going at full speed and try to avoid something.... Even in the video it seems unstable

I think that companies that return, much like the red people out there, have the confidence of the past. Two sides of the same coin...

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 07-07-2014 at 04:19 AM
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:47 AM   #4458
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,020
And some more from CP,

Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #4459
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,718
Is that a shag suede steering wheel cover? Man all it needs is some carbon fiber fuzzy dice o nthe rear view!
Old 07-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #4460
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Too tall and too narrow will result in a tumbledryer in my opinion. EDIT: Imagine going at full speed and try to avoid something.... Even in the video it seems unstable
+1 and if this is the video, it looks like it is tipping over in the last frames?!

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #4461
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post

Too tall and too narrow will result in a tumbledryer in my opinion. EDIT: Imagine going at full speed and try to avoid something.... Even in the video it seems unstable...
I agree, it looks very tippy-toes in that video...

I know that active/adjustable damping is not allowed in the car regs, but is there anything to stop them having some kind of air or hydraulic ride-height adjustment on the fly? - even something like hydraulically actuated pivoting shock top mounts for example (so that the shock/damper itself is unaffected)...

It would be cool if you could drop it down a good few inches for the higher speed and twisty stuff, then jack it up for the rougher ground and jumps for example?

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #4462
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Thumb Re-engineering the PUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I agree, it looks very tippy-toes in that video...

I know that active/adjustable damping is not allowed in the car regs, but is there anything to stop them having some kind of air or hydraulic ride-height adjustment on the fly? - even something like hydraulically actuated pivoting shock top mounts for example (so that the shock/damper itself is unaffected)...

It would be cool if you could drop it down a good few inches for the higher speed and twisty stuff, then jack it up for the rougher ground and jumps for example?

Jx
In the most recent draft of the FIA T1 tech reg's, all "on the fly" active suspension adjustment (damping, preload/spring and anti-roll/swaybar) is prohibited. The regulation even goes so far as to say that "adjustment is only permitted/possible via use of tools when vehicle is stationary".

Futher; the "fixed points" of the shock absorber mounts (on the chassis) are determined as part of the process of measuring the suspension travel... so creating some kind of "dynamic" shock/a-arm pivot points, to allow them to "jack up" or lower the suspension ride height would also seem out of the question (but hey... there's always time to write a loophole pour le francias edition).

I think the "Phroggies" have just got some real suspension/geometry "set up" to work through in the coming weeks/months... and maybe put those spindly (A) arms on some steroids... they look like Adam Cianciarulo's...

Old 07-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #4463
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,096
Quote:
..... "adjustment is only permitted/possible via use of tools when vehicle is stationary".
Hand tools, operated by hand? I see a spare tire feeding a hydraulic air ratchet on the comp/rebound in my future if not....
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #4464
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

There are two ways about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Hand tools, operated by hand? I see a spare tire feeding a hydraulic air ratchet on the comp/rebound in my future if not....
You can read "loopholes" into the rulebook everywhere if you're an amateur lawyer - come - engineer type, thinking up clever ways to "optimise" or interpret the tech reg's beechum

But the FIA have this neat little clause that supercedes just about everything else in the tech reg book wich goes something like; "Unless specifically permitted by these regulations... all other modification are expresslessly forbidden".

Which is basically the whole problem with the RG's "red neck supercharger/manifold vacuum tyre de-flater" thing, from back in 2012 - in a nutshell. ... It wasn't so much that it gave the Hummer team an advantage of any kind (which Robby proved by so dramatically pulling the hose off for the cameras). It is just that according to the rulebook, it was not authorized to have any air admittance/coupling - downstream of the air restrictor. Their design did (even though it only used vacuum to assist in speeding the deflation cycle of the tyre auto inflation system - NOT admit air to the engine). Someone brought this detail to the FIA tech jury's attention, it was protested and upheld. RG got reamed by the technicality of the rule... not any performance advantage persé.

And that's the reason why now (lesson learned) Team RG always get everything with their build/design ratified BEFORE they turn up at tech for DAKAR.

As opposed to the traditional French factory way of doing things (called the Schlesser configuration) where you go to the FIA before you even start building, with a list of concessions you would like, that get approved (written in the reg's) in advance... and then you build the car your engineers prefered all along, safe in the knowledge it is in accordance to the amended regulations... It saves a lot of drama (if you're a french team of course)

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 07-07-2014 at 03:25 PM
Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #4465
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,096
Well zeen I will 'ave to go h'over zer and get h'all of my 'ow you say "concesiones" hout of zee way.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #4466
DruncleWill
CRASH TESTED

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
"Phroggies"l
And now we have an official name. Well done TSC, well done indeed.
DruncleWill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #4467
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Is that a shag suede steering wheel cover? Man all it needs is some carbon fiber fuzzy dice o nthe rear view!
Suede is great in a racing car where gloves are used and while it's comfortable in a streetcar, we drivers tend to hold the wheel in the same spot and the suede quickly smoothes out and becomes shiny. I used to have one in an old car of mine. A fat suede Momo steering wheel and boy was it nice, but after not too long, it looked worn.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #4468
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,455

US made rally fighters ... sure seem close to the french effort
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #4469
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,023
"As opposed to the traditional French factory way of doing things (called the Schlesser configuration) where you go to the FIA before you even start building, with a list of concessions you would like, that get approved (written in the reg's) in advance... and then you build the car your engineers prefered all along, safe in the knowledge it is in accordance to the amended regulations... It saves a lot of drama (if you're a french team of course) "

And here I thought is was the American way. Only here it's Harley and the AMA.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #4470
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,455
Guerlains pancakes
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote