Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #646
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by yety61 View Post
I read something awhile ago that once you dnf you're on your own, ASO basically tell you to find your own way home ... I'm not sure of any truth to this story, but it is interesting to find out what happens
There are many really crazy stories about scary stuff happening in Africa. When I DNF in 2006 we had to find our own way out of Morocco. Fortunately we found some friendly locals who helped us get to a bus station. Several more buses, taxis, and an airplane got us back to Portugal in two days. We were a lot luckier than many others. I think Jonah had to go home one year (2007?) in his riding boots.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:33 PM   #647
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

One question: Is it only the plastic bladder of the camelback that slips into that jersey or is it the whole thing that goes on underneath?
The Camelbak it self goes over the armour and under the jacket
Old 01-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #648
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
With the 450s it's [potentially] different, and certainly reports (whether creditable or not) of Fretigne etc 'changing' his engine every other day in the past means the organisation tightened up the rules - before you could swap the engine out (and rebuild it) as many times as you liked, as long as you just used three engines... now, you are only allowed to remove an engine three times before penalties are incurred.
Previously all Super-production over 450cc were limited to 3 engines (ie 3 sets of engine cases), but could be swapped in and out of the bike as many times as you like

All under 450cc bikes Super-production was unlimited re # engines hence the Fretigne scenario of many swap outs
Old 01-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #649
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Fixt for us non-racers

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #650
yety61
Global Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Fixt for us non-racers

GO TEAM F5!!!!
yety61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:04 AM   #651
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by yety61 View Post
Just a curious question for you Jenny,
What happens to the organising of the return/repatriation of your bike and gear if you DNF?

I read something awhile ago that once you dnf you're on your own, ASO basically tell you to find your own way home (if you are not injured). The story is a competitor dnf'd and had a transport truck drop him off at the nearest airport, he caught mutlpile flights back home (Australia) and landed still wearing his riding gear. This was when Dakar was still in Africa.

I'm not sure of any truth to this story, but it is interesting to find out what happens if, as in your case, you dnf through injury, what happens to all your stuff? I realise there is predetermined logistics in place to have everything returned if you complete the event, but what happens when you finish early?

Hi Yety - as you imagine, it is slightly different if you have an accident vs if you withdraw due to breakdown or fatigue - However, these days, ASO will do whatever they can [that is reasonable] to repatriate your bike...

In an accident, you are given medical assistance, and your machine is picked up but the sweep truck, and ultimately transported back to Buenos Aires, for shipping with the rest of the [finishers] vehicles.

As I understand it, if you have to abandon your bike on the stage for any other reason, the sweep truck will also collect it (I'm not sure they do if you have a problem on liaison, but technically your crew can assist as long as it isn't on a stage anyway). Ultimately, if you hit the button and say you’re out, as long as the machine is on the rally route, your bike is taken back to Buenos Aires for shipping home with the others...

*Only if the machine is a total loss (say fire), or in too dangerous a position to recover (eg. down a cliff) might they not bother to collect the remains, but on the whole they do what they can - not least as I imagine there are administration/customs issues if the vehicles are not taken back out of the country again (nothing that a police report and a total loss certificate can't sort out though I'm sure).

I imagine what happens in South America is that all the abandoned bikes up until rest day are collected en route, then trucked back separately - leaving the sweep truck empty again to collect and others on the way back (rather than hanging onto them all for the whole event) - obviously the improved road network and loop nature of the rally route means this is feasible now.

It is true that once you sign off the rally, the organization don't really like you hanging around (and would rather you went home) - however, I'm not sure they insist these days, and I know Ennio (#88) who retired with a total loss this year on day 9 or 10, ended up staying with our team for the rest of the rally and helping out.

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #652
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
Nah. Wrong, greenish colour. My orange beast won't like that and may throw me off in disgust.
And besides - I don't haul mail or advertise free for Bring logistics
Nah. Right, greenish colour. My green beast like that and may not throw me off my saddle.
And besides - I even advertise free for Bring logistics, if they deliver it for free and on time and on the right place.

So Bring, bring me such a jacket.
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #653
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Nah. Right, greenish colour. My green beast like that and may not throw me off my saddle.
And besides - I even advertise free for Bring logistics, if they deliver it for free and on time and on the right place.

So Bring, bring me such a jacket.
Then just chuck an email in the general direction of either Pal Anders ( www.dakar.no or http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pal-An...7776890?ref=ts ) or www.bring.no

He's a sympathetic and positive guy with that typical positive aura of many top athletes, so he'll give you a response for sure. He probably won't mind playing all the PR tricks in the book and always with a smile and a wink in his eyes.

As for me, I'd rather stay away from looking too much like him apparel-wise - or any other famous competitor for that matter. I simply don't have the appropriate skills to match that competitive looks - and I don't like faking something I ain't. I'm a rally-spectating gravel-tourer and have never done a rally or enduro in my life so far. A fact that I prefer to be reflected in more true & discrete apparel and conduite.

Edit: My favourite competition-like shell for Leatt-brace usage is the Troy Lee Blais jacket.

More than enough flamboyant for this here geardo - and a big applause for a great guy - Chris Blais - still recovering from that spinal fracture in 2007. That man's a hero as good as anybody: http://www.blaisracing.com/
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 02-03-2011 at 06:30 PM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #654
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
As for me, I'd rather stay away from looking too much like him apparel-wise - or any other famous competitor for that matter. I simply don't have the appropriate skills to match that competitive looks - and I don't like faking something I ain't. I'm a rally-spectating gravel-tourer and have never done a rally or enduro in my life so far.
I could have wrote that, except i am on a green bike, why a green jacket ipo a black one, for safety reasons on the road, get visible, lot's off people have a reflective vest over their..........
What other people think off that, seeing me riding, that's their opinion, i know my reason. Riding a bike, gives other people also thoughts.
But for now i have a black one, but thinking about it to buy one. Missed the KLIM green one for some years ago.

So i do not write.
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:28 AM   #655
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Each to his/her own. Those rally jackets sure make you stick out safety-wise. I might even get one myself for summer use later on. It's just not a high prioriity at the moment. My favourite so far is the Oz jackets. 3 Kenny-jackets via Italrally would be cool, but not in my current budget plans.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:31 AM   #656
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
My favourite so far is the Oz jackets. 3 Kenny-jackets via Italrally would be cool, but not in my current budget plans.
Same here. I'm heading back to AUS this June/July and I'll be preordering one for myself before I head over (6 weeks manufacturing time) and bringing it back home with me. Want me to pick one up for you whilst I'm over there

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:34 AM   #657
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
Same here. I'm heading back to AUS this June/July and I'll be preordering one for myself before I head over (6 weeks manufacturing time) and bringing it back home with me. Want me to pick one up for you whilst I'm over there

Hey Tony will you be here in AUS 24-26 June at all ??

If so get yourself over here to Perth and I'll lend you a bike for the Yilgarn Rallye
Old 02-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #658
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
Hey Tony will you be here in AUS 24-26 June at all ??

If so get yourself over here to Perth and I'll lend you a bike for the Yilgarn Rallye
Wow, thanks for the offer, buddy!
You won't believe this, but I just rechecked my booking and I'll be in Malaysia for 3 days EXACTLY during those dates

Talk about bad luck Maybe next time...

Old 02-04-2011, 02:44 AM   #659
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
Wow, thanks for the offer, buddy!
You won't believe this, but I just rechecked my booking and I'll be in Malaysia for 3 days EXACTLY during those dates

Talk about bad luck Maybe next time...
bummer, oh well if you change your bookings let me know
Old 02-04-2011, 02:47 AM   #660
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
bummer, oh well if you change your bookings let me know
I sure will let you know