Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #946
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
We had a meter of snow in 24hours in Southern Bolivia, 7,500 people got trapped and thousands of llama's never made it. Apparently the last time it snowed like this there was 11 years ago.

All the snow has gone now, but its still -17C at night with a hectic wind chill factor. Im just really privelged to be working where I heard a little birdie tell me the Dakar 2013 will have a stage: The Salar de Uyuni
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #947
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagykovi View Post
Did you have any business experience with RS-Concept?

I sent them 2 e-mails in the last 2 weeks, but no answer...

I would like to throw out some money for fuel tank, fairing, nac. tower..... kind of rally stuff, but no answer.....

Any idea?
what are you looking for? I have all of the Meca Systems kit off of my 525 that I'm selling? PM me if you're interested
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #948
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
what are you looking for? I have all of the Meca Systems kit off of my 525 that I'm selling? PM me if you're interested
Heya Mike. You getting a new rally bike?

BTW and to answer your question (sorry Ive not been ADV on lately) we have not yet moved to TO (man its more expensive than rallies!), but I am in country about once/month. Actually two weeks ago I did some riding with that offroad school about an hour out of TO towards Muskokas. Really nice single track between trees and stuff. Very different to desert riding.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:40 AM   #949
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Heya Mike. You getting a new rally bike?

BTW and to answer your question (sorry Ive not been ADV on lately) we have not yet moved to TO (man its more expensive than rallies!), but I am in country about once/month. Actually two weeks ago I did some riding with that offroad school about an hour out of TO towards Muskokas. Really nice single track between trees and stuff. Very different to desert riding.
no to a new bike, trying to drum up some $$ to do a rally lite build on my 525. Keep in touch when you're darting back and forth to TO, I', passing through there Sept 7th.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #950
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
Dakar spectator tour 2012

Hi all
I am looking for anyone that might be interested in joining us on a spectator tour of the 2012 Dakar.
I am in contact with a company that will supply hire bikes and all the usual tour inclusions for about us10k.
You just need to get your self to Buenos Aries and everything else will be arranged.
I currently have 2 definates (including me) but the comapny needs 6 to make it viable.

This tour is not for the faint hearted. We will be trying to see as much of the rally as possible, which will mean long days. I am looking at a F800gs, but there other options available.

If you would like more info, please pm your email address and I will send details.
Would love to hear from you as we are very keen for this to happen, but5are styruggling to find anyone able to do it.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #951
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
I', passing through there Sept 7th.

Beers on Sept 7 it is.
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #952
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
Beers on Sept 7 it is.
I just went through there yesterday for an hour, how hard is it for you to pop into the airport for a beer?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #953
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,989
Ten minute drive. PM if you need digits.
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:44 AM   #954
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Thumbs down

Another update on the logistic scandal in the World Rally Raid Championship.
As mentioned, Pal Anders was unable to participate in Tunisia and Sardinia WRC rallies because the organizer chucked his service car on a boat that spent 20 days(!!!) from Abu Dhabi to Italy- failing to show up before BOTH rally check-ins. Several contestants have launched formal complaints with FIM - claiming refunds and compensations.

Latest details reveal that the organizers have damaged Pal Anders' service car by stuffing it into a transport container too low for that specific car to fit. Result: The whole car roof has to be replaced for 90 000,- NOK, the organizer appears to disregard this as their responsibility - in addition to not refunding the two entry fees Pal Anders paid in vain for his participation in Tunisia and Sardinia.

Under these organizer circumstances a valid question comes up:
How can this be improved and avoided in the future? This is not exactly good promotion for the sport and ruins much of the sponsor trust in the WRC circus.

Not to mention it spoils rider motivation and can impossibly be good for the sport as such. Suddenly it doesn't matter how good or bad you are are as a rider or athlete. The organizer not only takes your money, but also effectively prevents you logistically from participating and having a fair chance of making a presence in the WRC rounds!
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:51 AM   #955
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
Another update on the logistic scandal in the World Rally Raid Championship.
As mentioned, Pal Anders was unable to participate in Tunisia and Sardinia WRC rallies because the organizer chucked his service car on a boat that spent 20 days(!!!) from Abu Dhabi to Italy- failing to show up before BOTH rally check-ins. Several contestants have launched formal complaints with FIM - claiming refunds and compensations.

Latest details reveal that the organizers have damaged Pal Anders' service car by stuffing it into a transport container too low for that specific car to fit. Result: The whole car roof has to be replaced for 90 000,- NOK, the organizer appears to disregard this as their responsibility - in addition to not refunding the two entry fees Pal Anders paid in vain for his participation in Tunisia and Sardinia.

Under these organizer circumstances a valid question comes up:
How can this be improved and avoided in the future? This is not exactly good promotion for the sport and ruins much of the sponsor trust in the WRC circus.

Not to mention it spoils rider motivation and can impossibly be good for the sport as such. Suddenly it doesn't matter how good or bad you are are as a rider or athlete. The organizer not only takes your money, but also effectively prevents you logistically from participating and having a fair chance of making a presence in the WRC rounds!
I agree, the whole World Championship is in a mess right now... from what was a reasonable 6 round series just two years ago, there are only 4 that are FIM rounds this year...

Suddenly throwing all your money at the Dakar doesn't seem like such a stupid idea???

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #956
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Typo from my side - the plimsoller actually took 2 months from Abu Dhabi to Italy. That's 60 days of incompetent logistics for ya.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 08-16-2011, 06:14 AM   #957
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,742
Did the boat break down ?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #958
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Did the boat break down ?
Unknown. But that doesn't matter since this is an organizer responsibility. If the darn boat doesn't function you reload its cargo and deliver it by other means. It frequented many other ports on the way and simply didn't freight the competitors' vehicles and support equipment within the check-in time deadlines for the two WRC rounds.

And who wants to spend money on such incompetent WRC logistics? No sponsors can tolerate this fiasco.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 08-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #959
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

It quite amazing that there is such a low level of competence with something like this. You would think if it was your job you would make sure it was done well. I guess the organisers are cutting costs and consequently the wrong people are put in charge of something they have no clue about or no motivation to ensure the logisitc happens properly.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #960
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
Unknown. But that doesn't matter since this is an organizer responsibility. If the darn boat doesn't function you reload its cargo and deliver it by other means. It frequented many other ports on the way and simply didn't freight the competitors' vehicles and support equipment within the check-in time deadlines for the two WRC rounds.

And who wants to spend money on such incompetent WRC logistics? No sponsors can tolerate this fiasco.

Ok, very bad story for Pal - Anders, but how all the other competitors managed it, to bring their stuff in the right time to the right place ?