ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #991
Bluebull2007
Adventurer
 
Bluebull2007's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Lima, Perú
Oddometer: 4,930
Ya, its not going to be a walk in the park...the daily distances you will have to travel just to glimpse the bivouacs is horrendous. In a car its basically 700-1000km, and bear in mind as soon as you get to Peru, youre looking at an average car speed of around 70km/hr thanks to the curves....in a car or bus its going to be a total mare to try and keep up. I'm thinking maybe we will see the guys twice or possibly three times in the second half of the Dakar, riding our asses off in between to try and keep up. Remember ther will be in the order of 500 support vehicles plus half perhaps another 10,000 spectator vehicles all trying to do the same thing!

My suggestion is aim for a couple of spots and got for those, preferrably with an air connection in between.
__________________
-
-
RIP Angelo Pandelidis aka Brodovich Team F5 leader and inventor of Brodomath.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:22 AM   #992
tserts
Praise San Irritrack
 
tserts's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Yunanistan (Stans baby!)
Oddometer: 2,549
I know it's going to be a nightmare, but that's how it has to be. *IF* I go I will have certain duties that will require me to be near the racers at the end of the day. There are "support" crews for privateers who have not paid the 8500 euros and follow the race independently. I know of a certain example last year when someone did it with 2000 euros.

If we could hire a car from BA to drop it off in Lima and there were 3 or 4 of us it could be even less per person. Are there others who would be interested in that?
__________________
BMW F 800 GS 2010 - My Brunhilde
New toys to brake!
Road Rush (Romania, Serbia)
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:59 AM   #993
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R
 
Brodovitch's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 3,171
Don't tempt me

best of luck John... I take it you will be following V.O. ?
__________________
TALES FROM THE BIVOUAC
TWOONEZERO
Brodovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:08 AM   #994
tserts
Praise San Irritrack
 
tserts's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Yunanistan (Stans baby!)
Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Don't tempt me

best of luck John... I take it you will be following V.O. ?
Shhhhh! Fingers crossed, it is certainly on the table...

Μην το διαδώσεις ακόμα, είναι κάποια θέματα χορηγών που πρέπει να κλείσουν πρώτα...
__________________
BMW F 800 GS 2010 - My Brunhilde
New toys to brake!
Road Rush (Romania, Serbia)
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:45 AM   #995
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R
 
Brodovitch's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 3,171
ταφος!

hope everything falls into place

I will be here to represent the Greek contingent for team F5
__________________
TALES FROM THE BIVOUAC
TWOONEZERO
Brodovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:28 AM   #996
tserts
Praise San Irritrack
 
tserts's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Yunanistan (Stans baby!)
Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
ταφος!

hope everything falls into place

I will be here to represent the Greek contingent for team F5
My guess is you will be doing more than that, if you catch my drift...
__________________
BMW F 800 GS 2010 - My Brunhilde
New toys to brake!
Road Rush (Romania, Serbia)
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #997
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer
 
tehdutchie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam or on Twitter @antal
Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
I know it's going to be a nightmare, but that's how it has to be. *IF* I go I will have certain duties that will require me to be near the racers at the end of the day. There are "support" crews for privateers who have not paid the 8500 euros and follow the race independently. I know of a certain example last year when someone did it with 2000 euros.
I have been toying with that idea to, there are mutiple press options and a 'press card' that includes bivouac access on set dates is not that exspensive :)
__________________
=> http://www.eatdirt.nl/blog <=
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #998
tserts
Praise San Irritrack
 
tserts's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Yunanistan (Stans baby!)
Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
I have been toying with that idea to, there are mutiple press options and a 'press card' that includes bivouac access on set dates is not that exspensive :)

Could you give more info? That is the best option for me the way I see it...
__________________
BMW F 800 GS 2010 - My Brunhilde
New toys to brake!
Road Rush (Romania, Serbia)
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:58 AM   #999
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer
 
tehdutchie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam or on Twitter @antal
Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
Could you give more info? That is the best option for me the way I see it...
Ill PM you :)
__________________
=> http://www.eatdirt.nl/blog <=
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #1000
c.vestal
Rally On
 
c.vestal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: COS
Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
I have been toying with that idea to, there are mutiple press options and a 'press card' that includes bivouac access on set dates is not that exspensive :)
I and a couple others are researching options in loosely following this year. Then goal is media support for Ned. The new route this year makes logistics more challenging than previous in SA.

Here is a short list of info/issues we have found to this point in time.

- Press passes are being cracked down by the ASO. ex. buy a press pass and use is as a cheaper alternative to get a mechanic in. Rumor is credential check to confirm you represent a real media source. Also I think the costs thrown out there in the recent posts, are low. I feel our outside team is technically a press/media group and want to explore options more. Though our role is simply a hand off when we can see Ned or his mechanic. We are thinking receive media cards, verbal and written messages, spent batteries... Hand them new media cards, fresh batteries, ect. This can happen at no cost since those with access can simply exit the bivy. We do not need to go in but it would be cool.

- We are currently looking for a RV or van to rent:
Plus: Share drivers, no worries on having to find a bed each night, overall safer.
Minus: the couple rental places we found will not allow the RV into Peru.

- Chase on motos would be cool in theory. Not safe due to fatigue and traffic. Insert shipping costs, or rental purchase costs too.

- Purchase a vehicle:
Plus: not having to return.
Minus: cost for a reliable vehicle big, or do we get something we can walk away from in Peru. This would be a balance between reliability and cost. Unknown taxes, tariffs, ect.

- Still some unknowns for us on border crossings in whatever we travel in.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:18 AM   #1001
Deadly99
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
I and a couple others are researching options in loosely following this year. Then goal is media support for Ned. The new route this year makes logistics more challenging than previous in SA.

Here is a short list of info/issues we have found to this point in time.

- Press passes are being cracked down by the ASO. ex. buy a press pass and use is as a cheaper alternative to get a mechanic in. Rumor is credential check to confirm you represent a real media source. Also I think the costs thrown out there in the recent posts, are low. I feel our outside team is technically a press/media group and want to explore options more. Though our role is simply a hand off when we can see Ned or his mechanic. We are thinking receive media cards, verbal and written messages, spent batteries... Hand them new media cards, fresh batteries, ect. This can happen at no cost since those with access can simply exit the bivy. We do not need to go in but it would be cool.

- We are currently looking for a RV or van to rent:
Plus: Share drivers, no worries on having to find a bed each night, overall safer.
Minus: the couple rental places we found will not allow the RV into Peru.

- Chase on motos would be cool in theory. Not safe due to fatigue and traffic. Insert shipping costs, or rental purchase costs too.

- Purchase a vehicle:
Plus: not having to return.
Minus: cost for a reliable vehicle big, or do we get something we can walk away from in Peru. This would be a balance between reliability and cost. Unknown taxes, tariffs, ect.

- Still some unknowns for us on border crossings in whatever we travel in.
pm sent
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:18 AM   #1002
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer
 
tehdutchie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam or on Twitter @antal
Oddometer: 1,697
Like I sent in my PM, my plans moved around press and daily accreditations, max 7 days, this was as part of an official registered press organisation that is registered and recognised with the ASO.



THE INFORMATIONS BELOW DO NOT INCLUDE TV
They include only written press, radios and websites.
Information about daily accreditation for TV will come later.

The daily accreditation gives access to:

the bivouacs (no meals)
the competitors area of the bivouac
the press information tent
Transports between bivouacs are not provided and organised by the organisation.

Daily accreditation will only give access to the assistance itinerary.
Daily accreditation is to be picked up at the arrival bivouac.
Daily accreditation does not include internet fees.
BE CAREFUL: It is impossible to request more than 7 stages.
__________________
=> http://www.eatdirt.nl/blog <=
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #1003
Deadly99
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,461
"If all goes well, finish in the top 25 of the general" is the goal it has set for the next edition of the Spanish Dakar Laia Sanz, the highest ranked woman (39 th) in the motorcycle category in the 2011.

Sanz has landed tonight at the El Prat airport from South American soil with a smile and with his mind set on next season, where he will participate in the toughest race of the year.

"Everybody said that the Dakar hooked and, frankly, is engaging. It is a very tough race, but I do not know if it's the landscapes, the friends you make there or the atmosphere created, but you just delighted" has recognized.

He began this adventure with the sole aim of ending, "but I saw a few days later and I ran to get the best result possible," he explained.

"Much of the credit," as she herself acknowledges, is Jordi Arcarons, an old fox,''''of returning to Dakar to make of''competition''backpacker. "He has touched go back and eat dust, but support has always been important to me soul," he stressed.

Today about thirty people, including relatives and friends were waiting at the airport to embrace, "a surprise" that was not expected. "Especially because during the Dakar I could not talk too much with mine, because there are not running when you are sleeping or resting," he stated.

Laia Sanz has been nine times European champions and ten of the world in the mode of trial, but in Dakar where he discovered its limits.

"It's a physically tough race, the penultimate day besides me a bit dehydrated (his''bag''camel ran out of water) and ran with cramps throughout the body. So when you reach the end of the last stage and I saw my whole team there waiting, I broke with emotion to mourn, "said the Barcelona, the next year wants to relive that feeling


http://www.as.com/motor/articulo/lai...asdasmot_2/Tes
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 AM   #1004
tserts
Praise San Irritrack
 
tserts's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Yunanistan (Stans baby!)
Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Ill PM you :)
Thanx Antal!! This year's accreditations are not open yet...
__________________
BMW F 800 GS 2010 - My Brunhilde
New toys to brake!
Road Rush (Romania, Serbia)
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #1005
tserts
Praise San Irritrack
 
tserts's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Yunanistan (Stans baby!)
Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
I and a couple others are researching options in loosely following this year. Then goal is media support for Ned. The new route this year makes logistics more challenging than previous in SA.

Here is a short list of info/issues we have found to this point in time.

- Press passes are being cracked down by the ASO. ex. buy a press pass and use is as a cheaper alternative to get a mechanic in. Rumor is credential check to confirm you represent a real media source. Also I think the costs thrown out there in the recent posts, are low. I feel our outside team is technically a press/media group and want to explore options more. Though our role is simply a hand off when we can see Ned or his mechanic. We are thinking receive media cards, verbal and written messages, spent batteries... Hand them new media cards, fresh batteries, ect. This can happen at no cost since those with access can simply exit the bivy. We do not need to go in but it would be cool.

- We are currently looking for a RV or van to rent:
Plus: Share drivers, no worries on having to find a bed each night, overall safer.
Minus: the couple rental places we found will not allow the RV into Peru.

- Chase on motos would be cool in theory. Not safe due to fatigue and traffic. Insert shipping costs, or rental purchase costs too.

- Purchase a vehicle:
Plus: not having to return.
Minus: cost for a reliable vehicle big, or do we get something we can walk away from in Peru. This would be a balance between reliability and cost. Unknown taxes, tariffs, ect.

- Still some unknowns for us on border crossings in whatever we travel in.

That is my aim in general as well. I do not think being on bikes is a viable option for this kind of mission. We need a big power supply to recharge cameras, phones, recorders, laptops etc, and bike space restrictions make it impossible to take all necessary things. Rotating drivers means more energy for everyone to focus on other things, we're talking about 16 days of driving more than 600km daily (average may be less but still it is a lot of distance to cover on a bike.

I believe three SIM cards with 3G or GPRS pay as you go plans for each respective country would be a nice thing to have as well.

I'll PM you as well..
__________________
BMW F 800 GS 2010 - My Brunhilde
New toys to brake!
Road Rush (Romania, Serbia)
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014