Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #1021
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
Get done working Oct 9th, I was thinking if I started riding from Ohio, I could make the start of the race.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #1022
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Danish rally rider Jes Munk again in Dakar 2012

The Danish rally rider , " Jes Munk " called "The Gringo" will be again at the start line of the Dakar Rally in South America in 2012. He will drive a brand new KTM 450 RR Rally instead of his 450 Rally Aprilia from last year.
He set up his own team for the next year.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #1023
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
OK, so I'm going to Dakar!!

I will proudly bear the advrider F5 flag in the Atakama!!

ohmygodohmygodohmygod...

I can't believe I will actually TUNE IN to Radio Marray!!
Jeebus!
I'm almost as excited as you guys are and it's still nearly 4 months away! Gotta start exercising the ol' F5 finger.

Good-O on those going; we ol' broke-down stay-at-home pharts will be with you in spirit.

(Now, where'd I put those spare tubes for the 640? Gotta mount the Metz Saharas on the spare
wheels for the run down to Big Bend. Don't wanna waste the D606 knobs in the Hill Country!)
Old 09-08-2011, 04:19 AM   #1024
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
F5 Foot Soldiers!
where's mine?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:32 AM   #1025
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
Jeebus!
I'm almost as excited as you guys are and it's still nearly 4 months away! Gotta start exercising the ol' F5 finger.

Good-O on those going; we ol' broke-down stay-at-home pharts will be with you in spirit.

(Now, where'd I put those spare tubes for the 640? Gotta mount the Metz Saharas on the spare
wheels for the run down to Big Bend. Don't wanna waste the D606 knobs in the Hill Country!)
Exciting as it is, it is very difficult as well... I am trying to get some contacts in Argentina, no luck so far, I signed up and posted on a south America moto forum but I got no replies so far...

Does anyone know of any active SA on-line communities I could go knock on some doors?
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:39 AM   #1026
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
I know of one of my ex-colleagues who moved to BA to take up being a tango instructor, I think she married a local guy there, will try to find out more...

Obviously she doesn't follow the Dakar but maybe her man can sort something out...

Saying that, your best bet would still be an inmate from here
Old 09-08-2011, 05:23 AM   #1027
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
I know of one of my ex-colleagues who moved to BA to take up being a tango instructor, I think she married a local guy there, will try to find out more...

Obviously she doesn't follow the Dakar but maybe her man can sort something out...

Saying that, your best bet would still be an inmate from here
Any trusted individual in Argentina is a good lead, we'll talk in private about her, I'll pm you. Thanks!

On other news:

Quote:
ΔΕΛΤΙΟ ΤΥΠΟΥ
8 Σεπτεμβρίου 2011

Ο Βασίλης Ορφανός στην 76η ΔΕΘ στις 10 - 18 Σεπτεμβρίου 2011

Ο Έλληνας αναβάτης του DAKAR θα βρίσκεται στα πλαίσια της 76ης ΔΕΘ στη Θεσσαλονίκη από τις 10 εως 18 Σεπτεμβρίου 2011, ως επίσημος προσκεκλήμενος της εταιρείας BP Ultimate όπου θα παρουσιάσει τη συμμετοχή του στο Ράλλυ DAKAR 2012.

Ο Βασίλης Ορφανός εξασφάλισε τη συμμετοχή του στο DAKAR 2012 με βασικό χορηγό την BP Ultimate.

Η οργανωτική επιτροπή A.S.O. DAKAR όρισε τον περιορισμένο αριθμό των 200 συμμετοχών για το φετινό αγώνα που θα διεξαχθεί στην Αργεντινή, τη Χιλή και το Περού.

Η υποψηφιότητα του Βασίλη επιβεβαιώθηκε από την επιτροπή έναντι 300 σε σύνολο αιτήσεων, πληρώντας τα κριτήρια επιλογής που έθεσε η A.S.O, όπως το ήθος και η ευπρέπεια του συμμετέχοντα, τα αθλητικά αποτελέσματα καθώς και η αντιπροσώπευσή του σε προηγούμενους αγώνες.

Ο Βασίλης θα βρίσκεται το Σάββατο 18 και την Κυριακή 19 Σεπτεμβρίου 2011, στο περίπτερο της BP Ultimate δίνοντας τη δυνατότητα στους επισκέπτες να μοιραστούν εμπειρίες και ιδιόχειρα αυτόγραφα από τον ίδιο καθώς και να δουν από κοντά τη μηχανή και τον εξοπλισμό που θα χρησιμοποιήσει στον αγώνα DAKAR 2012.
Google says:

Quote:
PRESS RELEASE
September 8, 2011

Vasilis Orfanos the 76th International Fair on 10 - September 18, 2011

The Greek rider DAKAR will be located in the 76th Thessaloniki International Fair in Thessaloniki from 10 to 18 September 2011, as patron of the company's BP Ultimate which will present its participation in the Rally DAKAR 2012.

Vasilis Orfanos secured his participation in DAKAR 2012 with the main sponsor of the BP Ultimate.

The organizing committee A.S.O. DAKAR appointed a limited number of 200 entries for this year's race will be held in Argentina, Chile and Peru.

Basil's nomination was confirmed by the over 300 in all applications, fulfilling the criteria set by the ASO, as the morals and decency of the participant, sports results and the representation in previous matches.

Basil will be Saturday, the 18th and Sunday, September 19, 2011, the BP Ultimate stand, giving visitors the opportunity to share experiences and the hand autographed by him and to get to see the machinery and equipment will use in race DAKAR 2012.
So there you have it! Orfanos will take part in the 2012 edition! (as if you didn't know already)
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #1028
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,103
james west..

Asked James West on FB if he would be in SA in Jan.. his reply

"no chance, lack of sponsors and no good team offers, start looking at 2013"

makes me feel better about not raising enough to do the Australasian safari (even factory type riders hit roadblocks)

So I wonder how the ASO appeal is going for Mike Stanfield ?

and Morocco rally is comin up too..

http://www.npo.fr/rallyemaroc/en/tunisie-2011/
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 09-13-2011 at 10:35 PM
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #1029
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
ps James broke his wrist again last week, not good. It will be interesting to see how Sam Smith does in Australia.

WK2SURF when are you coming to this neck of the woods to play in the sand?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #1030
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,092
Seriously?!

Just seen this and thought I'd bump the Bivouac thread...

Check out this bad boy:

From what I gather it's legit - in action on the Pharons Rallye as we speak:

Not being an FIM round this year, I guess anything goes - including 1200cc twin cylinder muthers!

I know Touratech were looking at producing a 'kit' of parts for the Super Tenere to make it more like the World Crosser concept bike, maybe this is the prototype?

Are you man enough?!

Toot toot!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #1031
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Whoa, the return of the monster twins?

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #1032
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,850
Thumb Bring back the "bazooka class"...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Just seen this and thought I'd bump the Bivouac thread...

Check out this bad boy:

From what I gather it's legit - in action on the Pharons Rallye as we speak:

Not being an FIM round this year, I guess anything goes - including 1200cc twin cylinder muthers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Whoa, the return of the monster twins?

ORANGE CRUSH's new poster boy, Aussie Steve Cooney on the LC8 950 SuperEnduro... Australasian Safari 2011... 20th place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #1033
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 946
There will be another Twin at the Pharaons, inmate Disodbediente with his LC8.. but also two Vespa!
The ST1200 rider (Francesco Catanese) has already made it with an Africa Twin 750, in 2008
Gian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #1034
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
And more of the bike here:
http://www.omnimoto.it/magazine/7965...ons-rally-2011

[img]http://www.omnimoto.it/mwpImages/photogallery/2011/4283/photos650/yamaha-xtz1200r-super-tenere-al-pharaons-rally-2011-
gallery_8.jpg[/img]

Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #1035
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,103
Return to Fiambala

off the Dakar.com site

After planning out the route, preparation for Dakar 2012 is continuing with the compilation of the road-book, the competitors' bible that they have to follow to the letter. The work is complete for two thirds of the stages, with the one at Fiambala rhyming with mishaps for the reconnaissance team…

The route from Mar del Plata to Lima, imagined by the Dakar organising team for the 2012 edition, will be taking the competitors on a journey of almost 9,000 kilometres, with a programme that now needs to be detailed step-by-step. Accompanied by a handful of experts in all sorts of tracks and desert terrains, David Castera spent most of September in Argentina and Chile. For this second series of reconnoitring, the challenge involved putting the route down on paper that all the vehicles will take in the month of January. Kilometre after kilometre, the pages of road-book are being filled up, denoting the crossing of a dried river bed, a change of direction, the presence of a hole accompanied by a level of danger, etc. On conclusion of these three weeks of wandering, ten stages have received on-the-ground validation and the sketches, once finalised, are ready to send for printing.

Whilst the riders and drivers of the Dakar are already used to struggling in the white dunes of Fiambala, the reconnoitring convey has already suffered due to the ruggedness of the region's terrain: three days were necessary to write up the 5th stage of the rally. The mission was clear for Jean-Pierre Fontenay, a two-time winner of the event, now reconverted to driving one of the three reconnaissance vehicles. To produce a road-book that is reliable and faithful to the actual racing conditions, he had to get as near as possible to the rhythm at which the leaders progress, even if it meant putting the robustness of the Amarok he has been entrusted with to the test. Even without stopwatch pressure, it only needed one small mishap to end up losing a lot of time! After grinding to a halt, the time it took to transport the spare parts for repairs from Cordoba then the work necessary to get the vehicle back on the road cost this small band of adventurers a full day. As regards Chile, the Atacama Desert held other surprises in store for the expedition. In addition to the difference in temperatures (35°C at the hottest part of the day and 3°C when they settled down into their sleeping bags!), the Dakar reconnaissance team arrived in Arica shortly after a day that will go down in history. The torrential rain that fell on the region brought an end to a one-hundred year drought. As a result the team had to make their way through a transformed landscape. They were also amongst the lucky people able to take several photos of the Atacama covered in flowers and grass; a prairie in the middle of the desert…

seems like day 5 will be a DUZY...

and just about every other day!!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote