User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
mark1976 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
OK You GS Experts

I too am interested in an R80GS. What I would like to know, is with regards to the P/D version, how can you tell if it is a factory original or a GS conversion? VIN perhaps? I haven't been able to find the details on how to verify. Thanks in advance for any help!
mark1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1976
I too am interested in an R80GS. What I would like to know, is with regards to the P/D version, how can you tell if it is a factory original or a GS conversion? VIN perhaps? I haven't been able to find the details on how to verify. Thanks in advance for any help!
I'm not sure there really is any difference. It was offered as kits early on. Basically a solo seat and rack and the big tank. I think they started selling it as a bike in 84 so any before that would have been the standard with the PD parts added.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
2xdisco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
we have three, 2 PD models and 1 standard(and 2 STs). not for sale though, cause i could not replace them. i have been offered 6k$ for the standard one, it does have a few upgrades and is in very good condition. the PDs are worth more due to the tanks they alone increase the price 1500$ or more depending on production year. if the bike is upgraded, i.e. panniers, lighting, ect. they demand more money. finding one for less than 5k$ is nearly imposable that is in ride able condition, however finding a r80st and converting it to a g/s. 21in wheel and shock and other minor details. would be very do able in your price range. my brother did that and is very happy with his bike and it is just as capable as my G/S PD. i know of one bone stock g/s with 50k or so on it for 5k$ if the guy still has it. email me for contact info. Jimmyivy1@yahoo.com. good luck in your quest. the r80g/s is one of the most sought after bikes in the world for good reason, trouble is that every body knows it and the prices reflect it and they seem to still be climbing.

cheers
jim
Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
mark1976 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
JT:

I see you are in Madison; I travel there several times/year. I'll have to stop by. Mark
mark1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Desertpistons
80s dakar

Oddometer: 254
PD vs stock g/s

I maybe wrong but here my 2 cents on this:

BMW didn't sell the conversion kit (1,200 Dm at that time in Europe) until 1984 so all the bikes before 84 are de facto not PDs unless BMW can confirm it otherwise

Because of this i noticed that

1) the PD version has a chrome exhaust not a black one as the g/s

2) Some Pds do not have the kickstarter

2) the forks are black coated and both legs have mounts for calipers.

Frame number ans contacting BMW directly is the only way of confirming the authenticity of a real bmw r80 g/s PD
Desertpistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 28,766
This was part of a WTB thread in the Flea Market. The OP of this thread stepped on the other thread, so I moved it here.
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,234
Are you sure that BMW kept track of the PD VIN #? I haven't seen that listed anywhere, like the other variations. I'd heard that the PD was an upgrade kit.

As for black sliders and chrome exhaust - that's a new one on me. I think the only GS I saw with black sliders had been painted by the owner. And the ST came with the chrome exhaust. All of them have fork legs that will accept calipers on both sides.

PDs also didn't have the side covers, as I recall.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,044
Cross-posted:

In 1984 (the year Gaston Rahier won the rally), the R80G/S was released as a "Sondermodell" (Special Edition) from factory, dubbed Paris-Dakar, with the Gaston Rahier signature tank. The number built and sold was 300 I believe.

The main reason was, that both HPN and Schek were capitalizing on their success as BMW's tuners and started offering plenty of aftermarket parts from fenders over seats to tanks, so BMW decided to have a piece of the pie and offered the 1984 R80G/S Paris-Dakar edition.

Paris-Dakar Kits were sold for another three years, without the signature on the tank.

Another interesting bit of trivia: BMW was only allowed until 1990 (I believe) to use the name Paris-Dakar for one of their bike models when the organizer of the Paris-Dakar Rally trademark'ed the name of the Rally and BMW had to resort to naming their infamous Paris-Dakar versions R100GSPD, PD for Paris-Dakar!

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes
As for black sliders and chrome exhaust - that's a new one on me. I think the only GS I saw with black sliders had been painted by the owner. And the ST came with the chrome exhaust.
Yep, the PD came with the same chrome exhaust and black exhaust cover that the ST has. Apparently, black sliders too as can be seen in this photo. I think the PD kit consisted of just the tank, solo seat and rack.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
I think the PD kit consisted of just the tank, solo seat and rack.
+1

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
Yep, the PD came with the same chrome exhaust and black exhaust cover that the ST has. Apparently, black sliders too as can be seen in this photo. I think the PD kit consisted of just the tank, solo seat and rack.

this is such a sweet looking machine! add some siebenrock goodies and it's a beauty.
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,359
The OG net source of G/S and GS information.

http://micapeak.com/bmw/gs/
Old 01-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,234
Thanks for that, AW! The promo poster proves it!

Interesting that it's got a chrome muffler (stainless?) but shiny black headers.

Does anyone know if there was a record of PDs by VIN?
Old 01-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes
Interesting that it's got a chrome muffler (stainless?)
I can guarantee that muffler isn´t stainless. I have the same one on my bike and all the bumps knocks and rattles have caused the chrome to crack in some spots and they show a healthy amount of rust now. The later GS mufflers are very prominently labeled ¨Zeuna Stainless¨whereas mine just says ¨Zeuna¨on it. Funny thing is that the black exhaust guard and chrome muffler were existing ST parts that they decided to use on the PD. The black guard has holes in it for mounting the left side plastic cover, which on the ST extends far back onto the muffler.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
rtw02
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
I think it is difficult to tell even with a vin if it is a "factory PD".
BMW is famous for it's parts bin specials.
They were constantly using up old parts stocks on "newer" versions of bikes.
I have seen a british registered 1985 BMW R80g/s that was considered to be a factory G/SPD when a vin search was done on it. That bike had a black rear fender and unpainted fork lowers,and white hand guards,that the original owner said were original.
The Turkish highway patrol had a large fleet of BMW R80g/s and some had completly different gas tanks (sort of like a R100GS).
StephenB is probably close with the 300 "special edition" bikes built at the factory, but I do not know if BMW kept track of them.
Lets face it, these bikes are now 25 or so years old and have been, crashed, sold ,rebuilt,traded,upgraded, and modified.
So if it is a 1984-85 model that has a signed Large tank and orange solo seat, and the original owner says it came that way, then maybe it is an original PD.
rtw02 is offline   Reply With Quote