User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #136
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Thanks MTrider16!

No the right side case won't fit on with the Rotopax there. That would be where the top positions come into play.
The side position is more designed for a "fast and light" setup where you run a top roll bag or a Giant Loop Great Basin bag or some thing like that. You could probably also run a Wolfman Alfa/Beta with the Rotopax turned horizontal but I have tried that...yet.

There are so many options I still have to figure them all out...

Dave
Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #137
chadams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
F800GS Touratech 20lt fueltank - Who's got one???

F800GS Touratech 20lt fueltank - Who's got one???
What needs to be chopped / replace to fit it up? How do you find the extra wieght etc....
chadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #138
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,837

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #139
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin

Oddometer: 248
Assume you have seen the PDF instructions on from Touratech.

Have you considered just using Rotopax or similar?

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #140
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharia_11
Assume you have seen the PDF instructions on from Touratech.Have you considered just using Rotopax or similar?
Gee

i do not really consider myself capable to install that.............ive install other TT accessories on my bikes but that is too much............

i cannot imagine how many hours could a specialized mechanic bill me to install that either.

and BMW would not cover any problem regarding fuel/injection system on warranty on the bike.

even someone would install that for me, i do not consider myself capable to repair that on route.........

so , as said here i would better go for traditional unexpensive fuel cans in case i am on great need to cover more than 300kms among gas stations, even at Morocco.

due to the need to share weight among front/rear on the bike, maybe the touratech VPro tank bag with soft panniers do the work instead......
Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #141
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaris
[snip]

so , as said here i would better go for traditional unexpensive fuel cans in case i am on great need to cover more than 300kms among gas stations, even at Morocco.

[snip]
This would be my choice as well, something that you could add or remove when you needed it.

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #142
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
In addition to having to remove the stock tank to tap into it, and have those fugly fuel lines visibly running along the engine, just consider the nuisance of having to remove the tank to get to the air filter..

I think the best solution that takes up no space at all is adding the peg packers from bestrestproducts.com where you mount a gallon or two to the passenger peg and carry that extra fuel when you need it.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #143
chadams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharia_11
Assume you have seen the PDF instructions on from Touratech.

Have you considered just using Rotopax or similar?
Thanks for the heads up with the instructions, the list of parts is huge, drilling the stock tank

So I'm back to the nomad tank option, I'll put an order and post up my install. I'm thinking of feeding the the aux tank in through the breader setup of the stock tank, I'll put a checkvalve on the breather of the aux tank to stop any leaks. Therefore the aux tank will drain first then the main.
chadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #144
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
I'm gonna rock the Rotopax 1Gal canister and this luggage rack.

The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:56 AM   #145
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
That's my solution, except that I'm using the Adventure Spec rack along with a home-built Rotopax mount. I've carried two 1-gallon cans without problems. Don't even notice they're there once I get rolling.

sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #146
TreeFarmer
Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
You've got me thinking... Thanks Touratch for solving a problem for me.... My solution is still pending but progressing forward. It will still will take me a bit as it's more of a whole bike farkel/outfit, but stay tuned. Linky and full farkel thread to come.

Thanks for posting the linky to the TT installation instructions.

TreeFarmer
TreeFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #147
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
I'm getting ready to order the Touratech tank. One reason is the 65 mile commute I have (one way) and fuel cans don't solve the issue. The fact that the back of the bike is still open and usable leaves me enough room to carry my work related items on the back of the bike so that I'm still able to split lanes (thank's CA!).

9.5 gal of fuel should be sufficient for commuting 3 days (400 miles). Maybe if I'm lucky I can make it 4 days (usually get about 56mpg commuting).

Sure the tank is expensive but there is one BIG advantage. It doesn't change the ability to pack up the bike like all other options people propose and implement.

I probably should have the whole thing worked out some time in Feb (or early March) and I'll be posting additional information once this is completed. I originally thought to do the install myself but most likely will let the shop do it (unless they charge another fortune for it).

Reiner
'05 KLR650
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #148
DavidXT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
whats the average miles you get on a tank of petrol on a gs 800? Im considering getting an '09 for my next bike.

Thanks
David
'09 Buell XB12XT (can I change my name now??) , '99 Suzuki Katana 600, '97 Honda Shadow VT 750 ace, '?? Kawasaki 250 quad, '96 Suzuki TS50X
DavidXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #149
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXT
whats the average miles you get on a tank of petrol on a gs 800? Im considering getting an '09 for my next bike.
In the 18,000 miles I've ridden my F800GS I've averaged 51.37 mpg, with a low of 39.61 and a high of 63.27. So, with a 4.2 gal. tank, that translates into an average range of 216, with a low of 166 and a high of 266. I consider the bike to have a "safe" range of 200 miles under "normal" conditions. Hope that helps.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #150
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
I have the Rotopax 1 gallon and a TT rack plate. Couldn't quite fit the Roto on there with a Giant Loop Great Basin and small Wolfman duffle before I left on my last trip. No matter, I had as good as or better range as my buds on GS1150s and 12s and we watched out fuel closely. Next time I'll have more time to work things out. That TT tank seems like mucho overkill and overspend unless you're going RTW.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote