User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #151
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
I have to ask:

There are no gas stations on your commuting route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka
I'm getting ready to order the Touratech tank. One reason is the 65 mile commute I have (one way) and fuel cans don't solve the issue. The fact that the back of the bike is still open and usable leaves me enough room to carry my work related items on the back of the bike so that I'm still able to split lanes (thank's CA!).

9.5 gal of fuel should be sufficient for commuting 3 days (400 miles). Maybe if I'm lucky I can make it 4 days (usually get about 56mpg commuting).

Sure the tank is expensive but there is one BIG advantage. It doesn't change the ability to pack up the bike like all other options people propose and implement.

I probably should have the whole thing worked out some time in Feb (or early March) and I'll be posting additional information once this is completed. I originally thought to do the install myself but most likely will let the shop do it (unless they charge another fortune for it).

Reiner
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:08 AM   #152
chadams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Well looks like my question was answered...

"F800GS Touratech 20lt fueltank - Who's got one?"

NO ONE
chadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #153
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
Stopping wastes time.

Wee Strommin along.

biker128pedal screwed with this post 04-01-2010 at 07:08 PM
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #154
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Stopping take time.
wow,
guess you make alot $ per hour to offset the cost & few minutes it takes to stop. aren't those TT bmw tanks often close to $1000+?
you must be a lawyer and bill by the milisecond.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #155
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
The problem with the 800's fuel range for me is that it's just not quite enough to move between fuel stops on an outback trip. The Strzelecki Track, for example, has no fuel between Lyndhurst and Innamincka - some 475km of a mix of 4th/5th gear gravel and 3rd/4th gear sand.

The Strzelecki is a major road, too, plied by dozens of big-rigs and 4WDers daily. A road like the Gunbarrel or Connie Sue Highways are longer, rougher, and in summer can go weeks between vehicles (which are, in any case, almost exclusively diesel-fuelled Toyotas).

Thus, fuel capacity is something I've given some thought to. The TT aux tank setup is nice, but the extra capacity vs extra cost analysis is shaky and I do worry about their vulnerability in a tipover. That said, StrikingViking used a similar setup on his epic trip on the Dakar, and it proved just fine.

Carrying jerry cans is the cheapest and easiest solution, but they put the weight in all the wrong places. You'd want to stop frequently early in the trip to transfer their contents into the main tank as early as you can, and then you're stuck with carrying empty cans with you for the rest of the trip (unless you're rich enough and environmentally insensitive enough to discard your empties on the road).

The neatest solution I've spotted is that used by fellow inmate OzBen, who uses a collapsible PVC bladder (yellow, in the pics below):

The advantage of this method is, of course, that the bladder can be rolled up to store when empty - you're not condemned to carry 10L of air around with you.

This particular bladder is made by Liquid Containment in Australia and is certified to most international standards for carrying fuel, for you poor Californians or Germans who have to worry about that sort of thing. OzBen talks about it here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=76

I haven't done this yet, but I will for my 800's first big trip later this year.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #156
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
I have the Rotopax 1 gallon and a TT rack plate. Couldn't quite fit the Roto on there with a Giant Loop Great Basin and small Wolfman duffle before I left on my last trip.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #157
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
You don't put many commuting miles on your bike, do you?

For the novelty commuter that rides in every other Friday, stopping for gas isn't a problem. For the daily commuter, its an annoyance and gets old, fast.

bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #158
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
I put on all kinds of miles, I guess I am just not too lazy to leave a few minutes early to stop and put 4 gallons of fuel in the tank. If your that lazy and that rich to spend 2K on the TT tank, God bless ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
You don't put many commuting miles on your bike, do you?

For the novelty commuter that rides in every other Friday, stopping for gas isn't a problem. For the daily commuter, its an annoyance and gets old, fast.

rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #159
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 653
Pissed

Have to add to this....little 3-4 gallon tanks suck on any bike. I fucking hate stopping to get gas instead of riding and stopping every 200 miles for gas either on road or off blows. I don't give a rip if I'm commuting or dicking off on a hour ride. I don't want to have to stop and get gas all the time. Now for the 800 that TT is assininely expensive. So about the only options are the Roto's or those bags. You still have to stop , but at least you have the gas with you. From the stand point of ease of use and over all storage I would lean towards those bags. If I could put 6+ gallons in the bike then I would not carry any extra fuel.

I have found out that your bike better be able to do 250 miles between stops if you really want to ride and not be a poser. Yes we rode DV last year and we were 220 plus between available fuel easily. We dropped a fuel cache (left the can for anyone to pick up) and I packed two gallons, and we still had to siphon fuel. If I was doing the camping off from the bike those two gallons took up a huge amount of space that was just wasted after the first 100 miles. Those fuel bags can be easily stored after use, and strapped on the outside and back to reduce fuel spill problems. Setting routes to make sure you have fuel sucks, and we had to after the fuel cache was used.

Luckily for me I can get a 6+ tank for my bike that looks decent and does not cost 10% of a new bike.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

AA stands for Alaskan Amber right?
wickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #160
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Like I said, for those of us that put on a lot of miles commuting, stopping to get gas all of the time is quite the bane. Its NOTHING like putting on a lot of miles during a trip. I totally get where the OP is coming from. He's literally filling up every other day.

You might think its lazy but, as the saying goes, don't knock it till you try it.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #161
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickit
Have to add to this....little 3-4 gallon tanks suck on any bike. I fucking hate stopping to get gas instead of riding and stopping every 200 miles for gas either on road or off blows. I don't give a rip if I'm commuting or dicking off on a hour ride. I don't want to have to stop and get gas all the time. Now for the 800 that TT is assininely expensive. So about the only options are the Roto's or those bags. You still have to stop , but at least you have the gas with you. From the stand point of ease of use and over all storage I would lean towards those bags. If I could put 6+ gallons in the bike then I would not carry any extra fuel.

I have found out that your bike better be able to do 250 miles between stops if you really want to ride and not be a poser. Yes we rode DV last year and we were 220 plus between available fuel easily. We dropped a fuel cache (left the can for anyone to pick up) and I packed two gallons, and we still had to siphon fuel. If I was doing the camping off from the bike those two gallons took up a huge amount of space that was just wasted after the first 100 miles. Those fuel bags can be easily stored after use, and strapped on the outside and back to reduce fuel spill problems. Setting routes to make sure you have fuel sucks, and we had to after the fuel cache was used.

Luckily for me I can get a 6+ tank for my bike that looks decent and does not cost 10% of a new bike.
Just because some one doesn't do 250 miles or more between stops for fuel does not in any way shape or form mean that they are a poser. The F800GS will regularly do 190-200 miles before the fuel light comes on. This is also the case for every adventure bike out here except the R12GSA. I guess that makes any person who owns and rides anything other than an R12GSA a 'poser' right? Man, I can't stand broad derogatory statements like this. If you hate filling all the time and need aux tanks to not feel like a 'poser' then that's your prerogative. It doesn't however make all others posers.

Now that said, yes, there are times/places where extra fuel is needed. Example: the post above from the Australian cats.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #162
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickit
I have found out that your bike better be able to do 250 miles between stops if you really want to ride and not be a poser.
Bullshit.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #163
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
I read the touratech instructions...

For a second, I thought I'd accidentally downloaded the installation manual for a Saturn V rocket.
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #164
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 653
Is this the internet or can you actually determine tone and intent as if we were talking in person. Geez LTFU...Poser was a prod and obviously it worked. I still stand by the 250 miles in a tank. Do what ever you want, but planned enough routes and 250 for a ADV bike I still stand by. A day ride 200 miles no problem, but to take off and ride with no worries 250 to the tank. Uh...maybe only a few bikes can do 250 miles stock....but a hell of a lot can easily do that with a larger tank or spare tank. Is that not what this thread is about?
I also still stand by the fact I fucking hate stopping to get fuel every 4-5 hours. I also hate riding with guys who just want to stand around and kick tires and bullshit instead of ride. Those last two sentences were flat out the way they read and were supposed to imply meaning. I have seen more posers then riders over the years easily.
Are there riders on this sight? Hell yes and some seriously good and dedicated riders who can ride circles around me both in miles and serious adventure riding. Again LTFU it is a internet forum, and unless you have some special interpreting power don't pass judgement unless the person specifies their feeling or intent.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

AA stands for Alaskan Amber right?
wickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:34 AM   #165
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopoetve
I read the touratech instructions...

For a second, I thought I'd accidentally downloaded the installation manual for a Saturn V rocket.
I looked at 'em too. Crazy!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote