Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #166
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,454
I've got the big TT tank on my X-challenge. Mounts in the same location as the 800 tank, and has almost identical installation.

It's really not that bad a job to put one on, does take some time.

The fittings supplied to "plug the hole" you just drilled in your main tank are robust + leak free. I have to pull my tank to get to my air filter too, which sucks, but I can pull the tank in 15 minutes after some practice.

12k miles later, with a 360-400 mile range, I'm still happy.

$2k though, *cough-cough* I thought $800 was bad enough!!!

MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:07 AM   #167
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickit
Is this the internet or can you actually determine tone and intent as if we were talking in person. Geez LTFU...Poser was a prod and obviously it worked. I still stand by the 250 miles in a tank. Do what ever you want, but planned enough routes and 250 for a ADV bike I still stand by. A day ride 200 miles no problem, but to take off and ride with no worries 250 to the tank. Uh...maybe only a few bikes can do 250 miles stock....but a hell of a lot can easily do that with a larger tank or spare tank. Is that not what this thread is about?
I also still stand by the fact I fucking hate stopping to get fuel every 4-5 hours. I also hate riding with guys who just want to stand around and kick tires and bullshit instead of ride. Those last two sentences were flat out the way they read and were supposed to imply meaning. I have seen more posers then riders over the years easily.
Are there riders on this sight? Hell yes and some seriously good and dedicated riders who can ride circles around me both in miles and serious adventure riding. Again LTFU it is a internet forum, and unless you have some special interpreting power don't pass judgement unless the person specifies their feeling or intent.
Your avatar fits.

Call me a poser all you want, but with my back, 2-3 hours is about all I can do before I need to stand up for 5 minutes. That happens to be exactly how long it takes for me to get gas, piss, and have a quick smoke before rolling back out.
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #168
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 653
Last comment on this for me...ha ha...right like I don't have an opinion. (ps that was heavy sarcasm and a lot of humor implied) I am not saying anyone is a poser unless I know more about you and your riding. I only know a few other guys on here, and none of them are posers IMO.
Yep I understand any restrictions on riding both physical and personal.
Also I have never met a female rider I would call a poser. Met some super fine female posers who I would gladly ride with daily or even just stand around and kick tires with over the years though (humor and sexual inference intended)
Poser:
So, here we go.... Guy buys and farkles a seriously capable machine for the intended purpose (MX, Trials, Dual Sport, Road, ADV, etc.) Constantly talks about his riding prowess, shows pics, and talks some more about his machine and riding it. The reality is he rides like a boner about 100 miles or three rides a year. TOTAL POSER
Thread Topic:
To be limited or restricted in your riding due to fuel capacity is foolish.
Me being a total noob/boner to ADV style riding my bud showed me this site. It was suggested to me on here last year to put a 6.6 on my bike and skip some of the other farkles. I checked out the rides, and riding style of the 6.6 guys and they are serious riders. I opted for a 3.3 and other farkles thinking I would be ok just packing extra gas. I did not want that ugly large tank. Shit should have skipped the better looking one and fucked the ugly and funcional one. You all have had that experience....the ten looks good but is shitty in bed.....the 6 looks ok but fucks your brains out daily. (Functional over looks analogy intended through a known quantitative example) So now I am following the advice of serious riders on here and going with the 6.6. Why....because for the type of riding I like a 6.6 gives me the range needed to ride, not stop, and have little worries about making it.
Back to work
Later posers!!! (Antagonistic humor intended only to cause a chuckle)

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

AA stands for Alaskan Amber right?

wickit screwed with this post 01-25-2010 at 11:20 AM
wickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #169
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka
Sure the tank is expensive but there is one BIG advantage. It doesn't change the ability to pack up the bike like all other options people propose and implement.
+1. Also, when parking the bike in built up areas with lots of people around you don't have to carry fuel containers with you or risk people stealing them, using them to torch the bike etc. This might sound like an extreme worst case scenarion, but some bits of the UK I ride in, parked overnight this would happen. The TT tank, so far as thieves are concerned, is just another part of the bike and doesn't draw any attention/temptation to steal it.

That said, fitting it look like it's probably beyond what I would be comfortable doing. It would also make lots of the future maintenance down the front end of the bike more of a hassle if I were doing it, or more costly if a garage were doing it for me (as it'd take longer).
Old 01-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #170
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,687
& why do you live there?
i don't even need to lock my front door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
+1. Also, when parking the bike in built up areas with lots of people around you don't have to carry fuel containers with you or risk people stealing them, using them to torch the bike etc. This might sound like an extreme worst case scenarion, but some bits of the UK I ride in, parked overnight this would happen. The TT tank, so far as thieves are concerned, is just another part of the bike and doesn't draw any attention/temptation to steal it.

That said, fitting it look like it's probably beyond what I would be comfortable doing. It would also make lots of the future maintenance down the front end of the bike more of a hassle if I were doing it, or more costly if a garage were doing it for me (as it'd take longer).
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #171
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC

If this is true, I wouldn't leave my $23,000 bike parked on the street there, gas cans or not. They'd just kick it over and smash things.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #172
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
I think the best solution that takes up no space at all is adding the peg packers from bestrestproducts.com where you mount a gallon or two to the passenger peg and carry that extra fuel when you need it.
They seem like a good idea but are kind of a pain in the ass if you're doing any off-road riding. The back of my boots constantly hit the bracket while dog paddling and I caught my leg under them a few times causing me to wiped out. They were on as high and as far back as I could get them. The brackets are light gauge to keep the weight down but that also means they don't fair well if you drop the bike.

They are handy. The ease of removing and installing the gas can was great. I'm sure there are several ppl here that swear by them but they didn't really work well for me....close but not quite.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:29 AM   #173
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 653
I got this email back from Acerbis today.

Good morning,
we are not plannig a tank for your moto model yet.
We will you keep informed.
Best regards

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

AA stands for Alaskan Amber right?
wickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:48 AM   #174
chadams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickit
I got this email back from Acerbis today.

Good morning,
we are not plannig a tank for your moto model yet.
We will you keep informed.
Best regards
Wickit, I took your lead and have email IMS, they did a small volume run of 20 liter tanks for the aprilia rxv550 at $750 USD. I'll post up the reply once recieved.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...t=liter&page=6
chadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #175
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider

The advantage of this method is, of course, that the bladder can be rolled up to store when empty - you're not condemned to carry 10L of air around with you.
and back to the main event--

No TT tank but to comment on raider's bladder (fuel that is), check HERE for states side purchase.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #176
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Oddometer: 10,854
So should I bedliner my new, unpainted TT tank? Paint is so scratchable...
Old 02-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #177
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels
Thanks MTrider16!

No the right side case won't fit on with the Rotopax there. That would be where the top positions come into play.
The side position is more designed for a "fast and light" setup where you run a top roll bag or a Giant Loop Great Basin bag or some thing like that. You could probably also run a Wolfman Alfa/Beta with the Rotopax turned horizontal but I have tried that...yet.

There are so many options I still have to figure them all out...

Dave

I Miss my bike
Old 02-15-2010, 05:19 AM   #178
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Duck
So should I bedliner my new, unpainted TT tank? Paint is so scratchable...
Yes, super durable and super tough as nails looking!

The Griz screwed with this post 02-15-2010 at 05:25 AM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #179
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
I use a Kolpin 5.7L tank mounted on my rear rack. The pic I have is not that good, I will see if I have a better one and add it later.

And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:41 AM   #180
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
Here is a better pic, you can just pick the tank out under the tail bag.

And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote