Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #181
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
Geez, Bigem. With all that weight up high and that far back, it's got to affect your handling, doesn't it? Scares me just to look at it.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #182
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Oddometer: 10,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Yes, super durable and super tough as nails looking!

Yup, did my adventure tank on my 1150:

Tank is currently at Line-X. Should be done today....
Old 02-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #183
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Geez, Bigem. With all that weight up high and that far back, it's got to affect your handling, doesn't it? Scares me just to look at it.

David
That configuration would most like not survive a trip to Tierra del Fuego.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #184
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks

David
The stuff in the tail bag was all very very light, so it was not a problem at all.

The heavy stuff was in the panniers and the Kolpin was low enough not to give a top-heavy effect.

That was the load I took on our desert run in September last year.

The bike was nothing short of brilliant across the dunes/soft sand and made the trip so easy compared to the 1150/1200s on the trip.

I will probably not use this setup again as I think larger panniers and less stuff on the rack is the way to go in the future.

This is my prefferred luggage setup, with the Kolpin in place from now on.
And there's no place I'd rather be!!

Bigem screwed with this post 02-20-2010 at 06:52 PM
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #185
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Well, my previous bike was an R1150GS. I got tired of having to worry about my next gas stop after 150 miles. I heard about a slightly dented Adventure tank that could be had cheap. Bought it for $100 plus another $15 to ship it. The tank was silver, bike was yellow. Painting meant body work and worrying about scratches so I went bedliner.

Linky

Fast forward a few years and big crash later and I want another bike. The F800 GS looks like it will fit the, erm, "bill" apart from the relatively short range (200-ish miles). So when I buy the bike I buy a TT tank through the dealer and prepay installation. 4 hours. They took a bit of a bath on that, IIRC the total time was closer to 12.

So here it is. Same bedliner, for similar reasons, plus there isn't a good crashbar set that I know of that would protect a painted TT tank.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:21 AM   #186
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Duck
Well, my previous bike was an R1150GS. I got tired of having to worry about my next gas stop after 150 miles. I heard about a slightly dented Adventure tank that could be had cheap. Bought it for $100 plus another $15 to ship it. The tank was silver, bike was yellow. Painting meant body work and worrying about scratches so I went bedliner.

Linky

Fast forward a few years and big crash later and I want another bike. The F800 GS looks like it will fit the, erm, "bill" apart from the relatively short range (200-ish miles). So when I buy the bike I buy a TT tank through the dealer and prepay installation. 4 hours. They took a bit of a bath on that, IIRC the total time was closer to 12.

So here it is. Same bedliner, for similar reasons, plus there isn't a good crashbar set that I know of that would protect a painted TT tank.

nice! now waiting to see a F658GS with the TT upsized tank!
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #187
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
That tank setup looks great! I like the functionality of the Rhino Liner Finish. I am ordering this same unpainted kit next month, but was looking at the more conventional satin black finish.

Did you go with heavier front springs for this extra weight?

Was any special primer used in the application of the Rhino Liner?

I can't see the kit's fuel line disconnects in the photo. Where were they installed?

Do you have any close up photos of the finished tank?

Thanks,
Old 03-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #188
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn
That tank setup looks great! I like the functionality of the Rhino Liner Finish. I am ordering this same unpainted kit next month, but was looking at the more conventional satin black finish.

Did you go with heavier front springs for this extra weight?

Was any special primer used in the application of the Rhino Liner?

I can't see the kit's fuel line disconnects in the photo. Where were they installed?

Do you have any close up photos of the finished tank?

Thanks,
I'll try to get some more pics of the tank this week. What specific bits are you curious about? Disconnects were installed. May need to install the springs, but so far it seems quite rideable. No primer, but I regret that choice. I worry that the first drop will start the de-adhesion process.

One major issue: At about 40 mph a whistle starts. I've got all the likely candidates taped up with gaffer's tape this afternoon and will check the results tomorrow.

Cheers!
Old 03-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #189
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,778
Quote:

Linky

Looks great man! That bedliner is tuff as nails!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #190
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

I will be interested in your findings about the whistle. More photos appreciated.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #191
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,316
One question... since the TT tank is higher than the stock tank and the TT tank is connected to the stock tank, how do you fill it? Do you fill the stock tank all the way to the top, close the cap and then fill the TT? I have visions of gas seeping out of the stock filler once the TT is filled! What am I missing?

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #192
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNP77
One question... since the TT tank is higher than the stock tank and the TT tank is connected to the stock tank, how do you fill it? Do you fill the stock tank all the way to the top, close the cap and then fill the TT? I have visions of gas seeping out of the stock filler once the TT is filled! What am I missing?
There are valves at the bottom of the lobes on the TT tank. I've only filled it once with those valves closed. Got to reserve and then opened them. Next fill I'm planning to leave them open to see what happens, but yes, I would guess that it would overfill the main tank.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #193
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
There are valves at the bottom of the lobes on the TT tank. I've only filled it once with those valves closed. Got to reserve and then opened them. Next fill I'm planning to leave them open to see what happens, but yes, I would guess that it would overfill the main tank.
I thinking that filling only from the TT tank would be painfully slow as the fuel ran through the small lines to the main tank or you'd have to fill the main first. Once the whole system is full can you open the valves on the TT or will the fuel leak out the tank vent via the charcoal cannister? It would make the most sense to use up the TT fuel first as that weight up high make more difference to handling than the under-seat fuel.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #194
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Touratech clearly states in their instructions when using the tank to turn the petcocks off until the main tank is in reserve as indicated by the flashing low fuel warning. I would have concerns about overflowing the main tank and flooding the vapor canister if you have the petcocks open with a full main tank and full TT tank. My procedure will be to turn off the petcocks when filling up both tanks and turn them on only after going to reserve (main tank). I will leave them on until refueling again. Leaving them on even overnight shouldn't be a problem if they were only turned on after the main tank went to reserve. At that point both tanks should equalize level without threatening to overfill the main.

One extra I am working on is an inline solenoid fuel cutoff valve so I could control the fuel transfer while riding. Saves having to stop when reaching reserve on the main tank. All you have to do is throw a switch. Wire that to switched power and the fuel transfer line automatically closes when turning off the engine. This is an extra safety factor when fueling or parking.

Looking forward to extending the "bandwidth" of this bike
Old 03-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #195
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn
Touratech clearly states in their instructions when using the tank to turn the petcocks off until the main tank is in reserve as indicated by the flashing low fuel warning. I would have concerns about overflowing the main tank and flooding the vapor canister if you have the petcocks open with a full main tank and full TT tank. My procedure will be to turn off the petcocks when filling up both tanks and turn them on only after going to reserve (main tank). I will leave them on until refueling again. Leaving them on even overnight shouldn't be a problem if they were only turned on after the main tank went to reserve. At that point both tanks should equalize level without threatening to overfill the main.

One extra I am working on is an inline solenoid fuel cutoff valve so I could control the fuel transfer while riding. Saves having to stop when reaching reserve on the main tank. All you have to do is throw a switch. Wire that to switched power and the fuel transfer line automatically closes when turning off the engine. This is an extra safety factor when fueling or parking.

Looking forward to extending the "bandwidth" of this bike
Seems right to me. I'll have to find the instructions you're referring to. If you are serious about the solenoid let me know. (I'm assuming it would switch off when you switch off the ignition, not when turning off the kill switch, yes?)