User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #211
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Thanks Duck,

I will take a look at mine and figure out what you are talking about. It must be a part changed by the tank kit. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #212
GrommettAZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
uuuuugly!

I love TT stuff, but I got a look at an 800 with the big tank on it and I thought it looked like SHIT! Big, awkward, and well...pretty ugly. The guy said he also needed to do a stiffer fork kit because the weight balance was off when it was full...sounds like a downward spiral of cash flow. Personally I thought the small tank was an issue, but then I realized that I am more than ready to get off and stretch my legs long before I am out of gas. I'll spend my money on a new Ohlins or something else....just my two cents.
GrommettAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #213
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Oddometer: 10,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrommettAZ
I love TT stuff, but I got a look at an 800 with the big tank on it and I thought it looked like SHIT! Big, awkward, and well...pretty ugly. The guy said he also needed to do a stiffer fork kit because the weight balance was off when it was full...sounds like a downward spiral of cash flow. Personally I thought the small tank was an issue, but then I realized that I am more than ready to get off and stretch my legs long before I am out of gas. I'll spend my money on a new Ohlins or something else....just my two cents.
Thanks. You're absolutely right. In fact, I now have a 350+ mile bike, but still have a 150-mile ass. I guess I'll just have to take my rest stops somewhere-fucking-else than a gas station. I suppose I'll also have fewer fuel planning issues (appx. 50% fewer), so there's that too. As for ugly? I'm now in a situation where my bike makes me look pretty, as opposed to the other way around.

Where you at in AZ? Wanna touch my bedliner? $5

P.S. If I had a problem with stupidly spending money I would have bought a BMW because......
Old 03-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #214
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Appearance is subjective and if you are riding a GS no one really cares about looks. Lets face it, a larger tank really isn't going to bother most owners going for the larger tank so that argument is rather small. The functional aspect of extended range and freedom from having to plan gas stops in remote areas is an arguable enhancement of the bike. It really depends how the bike is used and where it is ridden. It only has to please the owner. Kind of like going up to a proud owner saying you really dislike the colors of his bike, petty.

No need for longer range, fine.

Add extra gas cans, fine. That is a valid cost effective solution for added range.

Add a larger tank, an expensive but built in solution with superior range to any other solution I have seen. As for the weight, we are talking about 32 pounds of additional fuel that is burned off as you go. The weight of the tank and related hardware isn't much different from the parts removed as part of the conversion. The weight of the fuel is carried low and centralized, better than most carry on fuel containers. I also enjoy breaks, but there are better places than every 180 miles at a gas station. Riding through Labrador or up to Inuvik will be much better if you can do most of it without worrying about buying poor quality fuel you are usually forced to deal with when in remote long stretches. Besides, two of my best riding buddies ride GSA's, so I am sure they approve. Any way that is my story and I'm sticking to it

All that counts is the owner is pleased with the results.

BTW I ordered my TT tank today. I am also overdue to upgrade the suspension so the appropriate springs for my weight and this kit are ordered. I'm looking forward to this project.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #215
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn
Appearance is subjective and if you are riding a GS no one really cares about looks. Lets face it, a larger tank really isn't going to bother most owners going for the larger tank so that argument is rather small. The functional aspect of extended range and freedom from having to plan gas stops in remote areas is an arguable enhancement of the bike. It really depends how the bike is used and where it is ridden. It only has to please the owner. Kind of like going up to a proud owner saying you really dislike the colors of his bike, petty.

Add extra gas cans, fine. That is a valid cost effective solution for added range.

Add a larger tank, an expensive but built in solution with superior range to any other solution I have seen. As for the weight, we are talking about 32 pounds of additional fuel that is burned off as you go. The weight of the tank and related hardware isn't much different from the parts removed as part of the conversion. The weight of the fuel is carried low and centralized, better than most carry on fuel containers. I also enjoy breaks, but there are better places than every 180 miles at a gas station. Riding through Labrador or up to Inuvik will be much better if you can do most of it without worrying about buying poor quality fuel you are usually forced to deal with when in remote long stretches. Besides, two of my best riding buddies ride GSA's, so I am sure they approve. Any way that is my story and I'm sticking to it

BTW I ordered my TT tank today. I am also overdue to upgrade the suspension so the appropriate springs for my weight and this kit are ordered. I'm looking forward to this project.
OK, so I guess I'll need new front springs too. Thanks for the vote of confidence, I actually like the new bulbous look.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:15 PM   #216
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Duck
OK, so I guess I'll need new front springs too. Thanks for the vote of confidence, I actually like the new bulbous look.
What rate springs do you think you'll need Bill?

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:42 PM   #217
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike
What rate springs do you think you'll need Bill?
Bigguns?

Dunno really, haven't gotten that far yet. At 6.25 pounds per gallon plus say 10 pounds for the tank, that makes an extra 40-ish pounds. Given that I'm also short for my weight, I would need, um, lessee......carry the two.....

Uh, what rates you got?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:52 PM   #218
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
I would of thought TT would have some info on the subject.
I think the Bitubo springs are .62 vv originals at 40something.
Not that that is much help.
This tank is two grand in Oz. So I guess I don't have to think about it a lot.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #219
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Here's the whistle fix.

Can't really see it but I think it's a stock part, made of that black plastic crap.

Still haven't decided on a permanent solution...
Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #220
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Interesting, I can't see where the tank would affect this area. The whistle and big tank may be unrelated. Appreciate the photo, I was thinking another location was described.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #221
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Filler Panel Missing?

I just noticed, on your first picture it appears the black plastic piece that fits between the headlight and beak is missing. It fills the space between the beak and the headlights. The panel was originally fitted by BMW and should have been re-fitted with the tank. This item is shown on page 8, photo 23 on the Touratech installation instructions. These instructions are listed for download on their website if you don't have yours. I think that panel prevents the problem you have heard.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=428565&page=4
First picture post 47 shows the part I am talking about.

Hope this solves the mystery

gr8ridn screwed with this post 04-02-2010 at 09:46 AM
gr8ridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #222
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Quote:
Interesting, I can't see where the tank would affect this area. The whistle and big tank may be unrelated. Appreciate the photo, I was thinking another location was described.
Could be a general airflow issue. The tank removes the surround bits around the ignition and the ducts on the sides, so airflow is definitely different. I would have noticed it prior I'm pretty sure. It was pretty loud.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #223
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:

I couldn't agree more. I'm expecting the bike back tomorrow from the shop with the TT installed. It was delayed a week as the part for the clutch (which did give up two weeks ago) hasn't arrived in time.

When riding with 2 bikes my wife is on the ADV and hates it when I request a gas stop with the 800. Plus I now should be able to commute 3 days before needing to fill up.

Reiner
'05 KLR650
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #224
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

I expect pictures when you have it back. I think the tank will really improve the bike's performance if you are a long distance rider. I am always interested in seeing how others have handled the paint and color scheme on this modification.

Bill, did you check to see if the installer replaced the plastic panel under the headlights? If not that might be the source of your noise.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #225
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Just got the bike back from the shop (BMW of Santa Cruz County). They did a fantastic job installing the tank.

I personally think the F800GS looks better in red now.

Reiner
'05 KLR650
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote