Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #271
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Not having your issue. However when I first picked it up after the install the overflow from the stock tank was dripping consistently. They didn't route it into the TT tank and thus with a petcock open it would continue to fill the stock tank which then would overflow at a slow and steady rate.

Reiner
'05 KLR650
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #272
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Oddometer: 10,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn
Check to see if the check valve is installed between the "T" and atmosphere. Also the factory check valve at the rear of the BMW tank should have been removed. You have to be careful about overfilling the TT Tank. The cool stored gas from the underground tank will expand once it is filled into your tank. That check valve to atmosphere needs to have the arrow pointing in toward the tank so it restricts flow out but ready allows air flow in to equalize pressure in the tanks as fuel is consumed. Any of this wrong will result in pressure build up in the tanks. Done right the tanks remain equalized with atmosphere.
So if "done right", I can have both tanks full, petcocks (<- funny word) open? I figured I would need to keep the petcocks (heh) closed until the main was down to about 1/3 or so... It would be very cool not to have to mess with the...you know.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #273
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Duck
So if "done right", I can have both tanks full, petcocks (<- funny word) open? I figured I would need to keep the petcocks (heh) closed until the main was down to about 1/3 or so... It would be very cool not to have to mess with the...you know.
Yes, that is how I use the TT tank. The instructions indicate what you say but checking with TT resolved the issue. No problems after 12K miles with doing this all the time.

Reiner
'05 KLR650
Old 08-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #274
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka
Yes, that is how I use the TT tank. The instructions indicate what you say but checking with TT resolved the issue. No problems after 12K miles with doing this all the time.

Reiner
If I understand what you are saying you keep the petcocks open all the time? Also are you saying Touratech said this was fine?

Seems like we are putting a lot of faith in the seal of the underseat tank fuel cap. Any small nick or seal wear (like when shoving in a fuel nozzle) will result in a leak until you either shut off the valves or the fuel equalizes below the filler cap. I sure wouldn't want to park the bike in my garage with both tanks full and the petcocks open.

another issue would be topping up the fuel when less than 3 gallons have been consumed. This could happen when preparing to start a long stint with no fuel for several hundred miles(Dalton Highway or Trans Labrador comes to mind). Opening the fuel cap would result in a large spill of gas under pressure at the gas station.

Of course none of this has happened to you so I can see where you would freely give this advise. I don't get the warm, fuzzy knowing the fuel cap next to my butt is pressurized and ready to leak with the slightest sealing flaw while I happily feed it highway. I think I will stick with the operating procedure supplied by Touratech. It makes sense to me. YMMV
Old 08-07-2010, 12:38 AM   #275
grandru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
well I dit it like this:

I have it installed with the 2 sides of the tank connected on the vent hose of the main thank.
The hose is also over the dashboard so I can fill the tank with the petcocks open and he do not overfill the main thank.
The advantages are:
-petcocks always open,
-no drilling in to the main tank.
- not possible to overfill the main thank

Last year i have driven this system with a jerrycan for 10000km an it works perfect, when the main tank lowers it sucks the gasoline from the jerrycan, now the tt-tank.

greatings
grandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:44 AM   #276
chadams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandru
well I dit it like this:

I have it installed with the 2 sides of the tank connected on the vent hose of the main thank.
The hose is also over the dashboard so I can fill the tank with the petcocks open and he do not overfill the main thank.
The advantages are:
-petcocks always open,

Last year i have driven this system with a jerrycan for 10000km an it works perfect, when the main tank lowers it sucks the gasoline from the jerrycan, now the tt-tank.

greatings
Can you please put up some photos of how you have the of the connection at the breather of the main tank, thanks.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #277
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandru
well I dit it like this:

The advantages are:
-petcocks always open,

greatings
Interesting, that is some creative thinking. How do you now vent the main tank? I don't understand how it vents while fuel is being transfered. Perhaps a photo or diagram would help. I am a bit of a skeptic when you use the vent which among other things is designed to relieve positive and negative tank pressure and also have it transfer fuel which requires negative pressure to work. If the vent requires vacuum for fuel transfer it can't equalize tank pressure as designed. The fuel tank can fail from expansion or contraction. These pressures change for many reasons such as altitude and temperature change as well as fuel usage.

I think Touratech could have saved a boat load of trouble and money if they didn't have to use bulkhead connections. My guess is their engineers decided this was the safest and most reliable solution while staying within budget and engineering principles.

I have considered adding in-line electric fuel valves to the transfer lines so all I would have to do is throw a switch to transfer fuel when the main tank was low. Also the valve would close automatically when the bike was off so fueling and parking concerns would be addressed. What I found was there is little room for these valves and it did add another layer of complexity. At the end of the day I decided to keep it simple.

Have fun with your long range, I sure enjoy what this did for my bike.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #278
grandru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
well,

the best things are the simple things, and that is never coming from an engineer.
the venting of the tank, i explain it.
the air runs into the tt-tank, so the venting is placed like the mounting instructions from tt.
than i connect the two sides of the tank, from there i connect a hose (over the top of the instruments) to the vent of the main tank.
so if the main tank lowers he is restracting (normal he takes air) the fuel from the tt-tank and the tt-tank takes the air from his normal vent hose,
you put everything in one line.
This is tested before, there are very much G650X riders who ride with an extra aluminium tank (made in holland http://www.hotrodwelding.nl/product.php?id=3 ) who works the same (so it wasn't my idee but it works fine).
i have try ith with a 2x5L canister into two tt-side bags on my journey in marocco and ith works perfect.
the advantage is also that i can sell it later without having to buy a new fuel tank.

greatings and keep it simple
grandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #279
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn
If I understand what you are saying you keep the petcocks open all the time? Also are you saying Touratech said this was fine?

Seems like we are putting a lot of faith in the seal of the underseat tank fuel cap. Any small nick or seal wear (like when shoving in a fuel nozzle) will result in a leak until you either shut off the valves or the fuel equalizes below the filler cap. I sure wouldn't want to park the bike in my garage with both tanks full and the petcocks open.

another issue would be topping up the fuel when less than 3 gallons have been consumed. This could happen when preparing to start a long stint with no fuel for several hundred miles(Dalton Highway or Trans Labrador comes to mind). Opening the fuel cap would result in a large spill of gas under pressure at the gas station.

Of course none of this has happened to you so I can see where you would freely give this advise. I don't get the warm, fuzzy knowing the fuel cap next to my butt is pressurized and ready to leak with the slightest sealing flaw while I happily feed it highway. I think I will stick with the operating procedure supplied by Touratech. It makes sense to me. YMMV
I can see your hesitation. But for one the guys at Touratech themself have said that is how they run the bike and it is fine - I've got that in writing so I'm ready should your fear become reality .

Whe topping up I know the mileage I've done so far. I'm not topping up the main tank until I've reached about 250 miles. So that never is a real issue. Even if I miss 0.5 gallons (about 25 miles range) it is not an issue.

Even if you open the petcock at 1/4 of the tank remaining you still have a pressurized filler cap. So I don't bother any more and its pressurized all the time. Believe me if there is a problem you'll notice early enough. The gas cap is opposite the can - so the fire risk is lower than you might think.

Reiner
'05 KLR650
Old 08-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #280
Corona
Dreaming of Dreaming

Oddometer: 100
Has anyone tried the 20L collapsable Jerry Can from Turtle-Pac ? See here: http://www.turtlepac.com/products/co...uel-tanks.html

Looks good but they want $438 Australian for it!

2005 CBR600F4i
Farkles: Hell braided brake lines
Current Tyre: Michelin Pilot Road 2
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #281
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Oddometer: 10,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona
Has anyone tried the 20L collapsable Jerry Can from Turtle-Pac ? See here: http://www.turtlepac.com/products/co...uel-tanks.html

Looks good but they want $438 Australian for it!
May I suggest you start a dedicated thread?

BTW, how would you affix it to the bike? Maybe a topcase? Workable but a bad place to put wieght, yes? Would you plumb it into the fuel system or just use it as a jerry can?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #282
cobblecrazy
'09 F800GS

Oddometer: 116
Got the tank back from paint

I'm hoping the finished product will look something like this...

I'll post the pics as I progress.
cobblecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #283
cobblecrazy
'09 F800GS

Oddometer: 116
Sorry, forgot the top view...

I painted the new smaller front side panels the same color as well, but I dont have any pics of them right now.
cobblecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #284
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblecrazy
Got the tank back from paint
That came out great! I am looking forward to seeing the final result.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #285
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow!

Thank looks very nice. Good choice for the color. Hoping to see the full bike soon on how it turned out once assembled.

Reiner
'05 KLR650