Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #316
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
I guess I got a bit mixed up, you are right. What I modified was the washer between the tank and the bracket spacer. I brazed the inner washer to the tank rubber steel spacer. Now the washer is always lined up when I insert the rear bolts to the bracket. The washer used to fall away as I aligned the tank.

I like the stud with nut idea for the beak attachment. I will explore that mod, thanks.

gr8ridn screwed with this post 01-25-2011 at 10:34 PM
gr8ridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #317
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn View Post
I guess I got a bit mixed up, you are right. What I modified was the washer between the tank and the bracket spacer. I brazed the inner washer to the tank rubber steel spacer. Now the washer is always lined up when I insert the rear bolts to the bracket. The washer used to fall away as I aligned the tank.

I like the stud with nut idea for the beak attachment. I will explore that mod, thanks.
I agree the washers can be a hassle. Brazing them on seems like great idea, I'll have to use that one.

The beak bolts always seem like they are going in cross threaded. I haven't had it happen yet though. I thought short studs that are loctited in would work well as the studs pop through the beak holes and keep everything aligned and in place while you get the nuts started.

It's pretty tight in that area but hopefully there's enough space to get a socket for the nut. If you try it, post up some pics.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #318
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
I agree the washers can be a hassle. Brazing them on seems like great idea, I'll have to use that one.

The beak bolts always seem like they are going in cross threaded. I haven't had it happen yet though. I thought short studs that are loctited in would work well as the studs pop through the beak holes and keep everything aligned and in place while you get the nuts started.

It's pretty tight in that area but hopefully there's enough space to get a socket for the nut. If you try it, post up some pics.

alright you expert tank installers.... what all do I need to do before I install it? tank comes back from the painter today...
Old 01-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #319
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
alright you expert tank installers.... what all do I need to do before I install it? tank comes back from the painter today...
What do I need to do as in other than whats in the instructions?

If so, I'd say the drain fitting shortening for sure. gr8ridn's suggestion of brazing the washers to the spacers seems like a winner.

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 01-26-2011 at 07:48 PM
Old 01-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #320
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What do I need to do as in other than whats in the instructions?

If so, I'd say the drain fitting shortening for sure. gr8ridn suggestion of brazing the washers to the spacers seems like a winner.
aight sounds good... been kinda browsing what ya'll have said and am going to do the same just didn't know if there's other little tid bits of
Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #321
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
aight sounds good... been kinda browsing what ya'll have said and am going to do the same just didn't know if there's other little tid bits of
I didn't really like the routing of the vent line on the aux tank. The fitting is on the left side and at full lock the triple tree just hits it. It hasn't split that hose yet but I really don't like the location. When I get home I'll likely re-route the hose from the left toward the middle of the triple tree, between the bar clamps then up and over the windscreen and back down the left side rather than the right. Clear as mud right? I'm sure you figure out what I mean when you see it.

I'll try to snap some pics of it and what I'll change when I have some time.

Cory

Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #322
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I didn't really like the routing of the vent line on the aux tank. The fitting is on the left side and at full lock the triple tree just hits it. It hasn't split that hose yet but I really don't like the location. When I get home I'll likely re-route the hose from the left toward the middle of the triple tree, between the bar clamps then up and over the windscreen and back down the left side rather than the right. Clear as mud right? I'm sure you figure out what I mean when you see it.

I'll try to snap some pics of it and what I'll change when I have some time.

Cory
Old 01-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #323
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I will give it a try and report back. I am thinking about making my own studs and reducing the end that the nut threads onto. This would be similar to racing wheel studs that prevent cross threading. This way I won't put excessive strain on the tank by starting the nut cross threaded. I am thinking threaded rod turned down on my lathe. Of course the same thing could be accomplished with a grinder or file. Nice little project.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #324
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I would offer measuring and marking at least three times before drilling the original tank. There is little room for error when locating the fuel bulk head fittings. The measurements in the instructions were right on with my tank. There isn't much thread contact for the domed nuts that go inside the tank. I used blue loctite to insure the those nuts wouldn't back off in the field. That would be a major PITA to repair plus you would lose most of your fuel. The blue loctite will withstand gas immersion as long as it is fully cured. I gave it 24 hours before any gas was put into the tank. I also tested with gas for leaks at the bulkhead before installing the rear frame and tank. I think this could save some major time and increase confidence in the integrity of the work.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #325
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn View Post
There isn't much thread contact for the domed nuts that go inside the tank.
You're not kidding. I had to buy longer bolts as I couldn't even get the nuts started. Not sure if my tank was a tad thicker in the specified drilling location or what the issue was but there was no way things were going work with the length of the supplied bolts.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:19 AM   #326
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You're not kidding. I had to buy longer bolts as I couldn't even get the nuts started. Not sure if my tank was a tad thicker in the specified drilling location or what the issue was but there was no way things were going work with the length of the supplied bolts.
same here... what was odd was I found bolts in my shop that were maybe just 1mm longer so I used them. seems like the factory supplied ones are just cut a tad too short. Could this have something to do with the new and older gen tanks?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #327
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! does part number 3 go back on with the kit?

the front fairing is driving me insane putting it together!!!! any help?
Old 01-31-2011, 02:39 AM   #328
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
I too have found that an annoying little bastard when I have reassembled the beak. I went out to the garage and took a couple of photos (Its dark here). Hope this helps you work out how it goes back ...

Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #329
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
I too have found that an annoying little bastard when I have reassembled the beak. I went out to the garage and took a couple of photos (Its dark here). Hope this helps you work out how it goes back ...

bugger!! how the hell did that work for you?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #330
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
bugger!! how the hell did that work for you?
Making sure I had it aligned right and patience!

If I remember right you have to get the "ALB" and the beak aligned, get one screw in, do up loosely then get the othe one started, and only then tighten it fully with other beak screws.

It would probably be pretty handy to be built like Vishnu ...

... but I hear he only works on Enfields!

Good luck!