Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 12:41 PM   #331
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post

... but I hear he only works on Enfields!

Good luck!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #332
Robson Jaborá/SC
Brazilian Adventurer...

Oddometer: 577
Jaborá, SC - Brasil
Robson Jaborá/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #333
Robson Jaborá/SC
Brazilian Adventurer...

Oddometer: 577
Jaborá, SC - Brasil
Robson Jaborá/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #334
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Jaborá/SC View Post
I line-x'd my TT tank for the 800... love it
Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #335
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Duck View Post
Yup, did my adventure tank on my 1150:

Tank is currently at Line-X. Should be done today....
maybe I should do that on my schuberth and go hunting deers!

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #336
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
... Personally I think that TT tank thing looks like a photoshop creation, and also believe that it's looks ridiculous. It is a high/bad/vulnerable place for 4 gallons of gas. But hey, that's just me and who cares what I think.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #337
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Duck View Post
Yup, did my adventure tank on my 1150:

Tank is currently at Line-X. Should be done today....
This could be just the ticket. I've been wondering about adding Stomp Grip pads to the areas my knees grip on the sides of the faux tank 'cause it's slippery, but am concerned that Stomp Grip is really more aggressive than I want. Bed liner might give the perfect amount of grip! How does it hold up on plastic? Mostly I see it on metal, like pickup truck beds . . .
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #338
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Oddometer: 10,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn View Post
Check to see if the check valve is installed between the "T" and atmosphere. Also the factory check valve at the rear of the BMW tank should have been removed. You have to be careful about overfilling the TT Tank. The cool stored gas from the underground tank will expand once it is filled into your tank. That check valve to atmosphere needs to have the arrow pointing in toward the tank so it restricts flow out but ready allows air flow in to equalize pressure in the tanks as fuel is consumed. Any of this wrong will result in pressure build up in the tanks. Done right the tanks remain equalized with atmosphere.
OK, finally got sufficient motivation and time to check on this. I see the "T" fitting, but there are two check valves, one between the "T" and the TT tank and the other between the "T" and the main tank, both pointing toward their respective tanks. The base of the "T" runs to what I'm assuming is a charcoal canister? Are you saying there should be one check valve between the "T" and the canister? Seems like the setup I've got is valid, unless the thing I want is for the tanks to equalize with each other...

(Btw, I do have the overfill tube issue where the fitting and airbox are fighting for the same space, and the LBS made a mess out of the equivalent tube on the main tank. But those tubes should only come into play right after filling the tank and spilling a bit around the filler neck, right?)

Never mind, I think I've found what the likely culprit is. The TT instructions say to run the vent line from the stock tank up front, and to put the T there, then run the line up and over the instrument cluster, which would provide a nice air gap I'm thinking. The only problem is that this bypasses the charcoal canister entirely. The LBS tried to keep the canister with a creative routing involving putting the T under the seat. I'll re-do that and the overfill lines tomorrow.

Bill the Duck screwed with this post 10-16-2011 at 06:49 PM
Bill the Duck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #339
ducpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I've got gas

I would say my BMW F800GS is true super tanker,it has the Touratech 5.3 gal gas tank, 2 Rotopax gas cans and 3 MSR bottles on the rear of the bags.

total cap around 13 gal ... can you say ironbutt

(of course i don't need that but so I am swapping the rotopax over for water now that I have the touratech tank and I will only need one of the MSR bottles for my stove)

pssor
Old 12-20-2011, 12:26 AM   #340
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducpilot View Post
I would say my BMW F800GS is true super tanker,it has the Touratech 5.3 gal gas tank, 2 Rotopax gas cans and 3 MSR bottles on the rear of the bags.

Damn, all that must weight a lot!

Good looking bike though!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #341
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducpilot View Post

It takes longer to fill a tank from rotopax than it does from a gas pump, time wise. And iron butt rides, in order to get that many miles in one day, are mostly road rides - which have gas stations. There's just no need to carry that much gas (even the TT tank is overkill) when you are on regular roads.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #342
reinerka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
It takes longer to fill a tank from rotopax than it does from a gas pump, time wise. And iron butt rides, in order to get that many miles in one day, are mostly road rides - which have gas stations. There's just no need to carry that much gas (even the TT tank is overkill) when you are on regular roads.
There was a mass Iron Butt ride with >1000 miles on dirt roads - it can be done (haven't done it myself).

For road rides - each gas stop costs you 10+ minutes from the time you exit the freeway until you're back up on the freeway. If you try to cover 1500+ miles in less than 24 hours one way to do that is DO NOT STOP FOR GAS. It doesn't mean it cannot be done (I had to stop every 180 miles with the GL1800) but it saves effort and time - which is improtant.

There are VERY few that try the Iron Butt Rally with a stock tank that only gets you 200 miles. However the above would be illegal as all fuel must be in a tank (not rotopax cells strapped to the bike) and the toal is 11.5 gallons in total (unless you ride a trike).

Reiner
'05 KLR650
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #343
MRAP
Rifleman

Oddometer: 23
Touratech tank

I've had nothing but troubles with that tank since I've added it to my F650gs. It doesn't hold the advertised amount of fuel and the gaskets for the fuel lines leading into the primary tank are shit. Other than the overflow and evaporation issues I was having initially, It was a nice thing to have in Death Valley where fuel is around $6.00 a gallon. After about 12,000 miles of use the gasket started leaking and pissing fuel from my primary tank. They started to shrink when I got to about 9,900 ft in Tioga pass. I speculate that the elevation and the 20 degree temperature helped the leak along. There must be a better option for drilling into the stock tank though, six holes is a little much. I was worried that this would be a recurring theme and ended up replacing the stock tank. I still have the extended range tank on the bike but I drain it into an MSR fuel bottle and transfer it that way. If I had it to do over again I would just carry a 1 gallon jerry can.
MRAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #344
chadams
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAP View Post
I've had nothing but troubles with that tank since I've added it to my F650gs. It doesn't hold the advertised amount of fuel and the gaskets for the fuel lines leading into the primary tank are shit. Other than the overflow and evaporation issues I was having initially, It was a nice thing to have in Death Valley where fuel is around $6.00 a gallon. After about 12,000 miles of use the gasket started leaking and pissing fuel from my primary tank. They started to shrink when I got to about 9,900 ft in Tioga pass. I speculate that the elevation and the 20 degree temperature helped the leak along. There must be a better option for drilling into the stock tank though, six holes is a little much. I was worried that this would be a recurring theme and ended up replacing the stock tank. I still have the extended range tank on the bike but I drain it into an MSR fuel bottle and transfer it that way. If I had it to do over again I would just carry a 1 gallon jerry can.
MRAP, if you are interested in selling the tank please put me at the top of the shopping list
Old 12-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #345
grandru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
No problems at all:

well I dit it like this:

I have it installed with the 2 sides of the tank connected on the vent hose of the main thank.
The hose is also over the dashboard so I can fill the tank with the petcocks open and he do not overfill the main thank.
The advantages are:
-petcocks always open,
-no drilling in to the main tank.
- not possible to overfill the main thank

Last year i have driven this system with a jerrycan for 10000km an it works perfect, when the main tank lowers it sucks the gasoline from the jerrycan, now the tt-tank.

greatings
grandru is offline   Reply With Quote