Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #61
lrd2sea
Turned orange,...

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindeberg
Actually I couldn't care less over the tank conversion, but the adjustable screen seems really good. But first I have to buy me an F800GS of course.
haha, good point!
I have the same issue with the Farrari key chain I won in the fun fair.
lrd2sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #62
WarthogARJ
Warthog

Oddometer: 33
F800 GS Tank

Guys,
I was just at the Touratech Adventure Travel meeting in Germany (May 8-10) and they unveiled their new (nominal) 20 litre add-on tank.
I say "nominal" because it takes 17.5 litres with a bit of a air cap, but you could fill to the brim and get just over 19 litre. Weighs 8kg I believe. Comes in various coulours and I believe can be painted (original colour is a sort-of matt black). Euro price is 899 unpainted and Euro 1199 for various colourd/painted options. Not sure how easy to paint if you want to do yourself or by 3rd party.
Note that these are European prices and thus only in the German catalog.

I have some better pix but altho I thought within the forum specs it won't accept them Dunno why. It swaps on for the side panels and the piping at the bottom drains to the rear tank with integral fuel pump. You could switch either side leg off and just use the rear (but I think that option not so logical). However it drains from the highest points first, so it empties before the rear tank anyhow.
So is simple and better for bike handling that way (lower centre gravity as you use fuel etc).
Is made of a special thermoplastic that one could repair in the field if cracked: but plastic is supposed to be tough and storng. It doesn't have internal baffles but due to design shouldn't be necessary. Is rotomoulded.
It bolts onto bike and I think it could be swapped on in under a hour. Can taken off too if you don't need it.
It has a drain from the fill cap to inside so any water is drained, or if fuel comes out by vent (if you try to squeeze in until the very brim for instance).
An additional bonus is that combined with rear panniers it protects your legs if you fall over with bike on top of you.
They've made a similar one before I believe: for the 650. So is not a new project for them. A sister venture of Touratech did it: www.tt-3d.com. They do plastics related work for other people too: seems very good little company.
So this makes the F800GS a very real option to compare wrt long distance enduro-style touring if you don't want a 1200GSA.

Alan
WarthogARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:18 AM   #63
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
F800gs Tank

Just spotted this, not sure if has been posted before but makes it into some long range bike

http://www.touratech.com/shops/001/p...c3edbe6ec60a3e
Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 AM   #64
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,888
Yup.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428565

Can't understand why it's so much more expensive in the UK though. 1332 versus €1199?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 AM   #65
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,842
.. and i wonder how you get at the air filter, if it's anything like the one TT made for the X Challenge, you need to remove the tank to get to the air filter..

But.. it's a great option to have if you need range.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #66
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,888
They've arrived in Europe:

Germany

UK

With thanks to john_aero!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #67
GB
Mod Squad

Thanks for the detailed info.. good to see this as an option for those who need added range.

This one's very similar to the one they have for the G650X Challenge.

The biggest drawback to both designs is accessing the air filter once the fuel tank is in place. The tank needs to be disconnected and removed.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #68
mr moto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
1300.00 or 17.99 ? http://www.roadking.co.uk/products.asp?partno=95-009216
mr moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #69
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

well i found that i can order all my parts from the german webpages and get them shipped for cheaper then the UK page charges.

dont understand why people use the uk page as its a lot more expensive
Old 05-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #70
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
They've arrived in Europe:

Germany

UK

With thanks to john_aero!
never spotted this post.

well i dont understand the price difference.

postage from germany still cheaper too so you bag a nice bargin
Old 05-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #71
GB
Mod Squad

The UK page most likley includes the 17 or 19% VAT but the VAT is not charged if it's exported outside the UK.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #72
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

that may be it. taught there was no vat though if bought in EU?

when i bought stuff from german site vat was included on the end price and was still cheaper
Old 05-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #73
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,122
it looks completely incompatible with all existing crash bars, too...

But you should be able to get at least 450 miles of range with them. That's some serious travelling distance!
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #74
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Who needs a 500 mile range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
it looks completely incompatible with all existing crash bars, too...

But you should be able to get at least 450 miles of range with them. That's some serious travelling distance!

The price is high in Euros, pounds or Dollars - and who needs or wants to carry an additional 17L +/-, that is double the stock tank. I get 200+ miles ridding into a strong head wind and 235 -250 miles under normal conditions.

The IBA requires everyone to stop every 350 miles and I can't think of anywhere that requires a 450+ mile range, PLUS the 25 additional pounds weight which will be much higher than the stock tank, thus probably adversely effecting handling.

Yea, you can be the only one on your block foolish enough to buy one, but it isn't cool IMHO
IBA #43
2013 Vespa 300ie S GTS
2014 G650GS
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #75
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92029
The price is high in Euros, pounds or Dollars - and who needs or wants to carry an additional 17L +/-, that is double the stock tank. I get 200+ miles ridding into a strong head wind and 235 -250 miles under normal conditions.

The IBA requires everyone to stop every 350 miles and I can't think of anywhere that requires a 450+ mile range, PLUS the 25 additional pounds weight which will be much higher than the stock tank, thus probably adversely effecting handling.

Yea, you can be the only one on your block foolish enough to buy one, but it isn't cool IMHO
german page is euro, uk page is punds sterling. funny enought the price in sterling ismore expensive and then with excahnge rate means it is even more expensicve if buy fromthe main germantouratech shop.

i find that extra large tank is a great idea and well worth the effort, but for the cost of over 1.5k, i would prefer to buy 2 20 euro fuelcansand spend the remaining1,460 euro onmy bike or my trip.

but it is a nice looking tank.

weird why they so dear when RV Aqualine make similar tank for the kt 690 enduro and its half the price i believe

john_aero screwed with this post 05-19-2009 at 11:26 PM
john_aero is offline   Reply With Quote