User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #91
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,007
I like the look/idea of these tanks.

The GS800 is on the very short list of bikes I am thinking of. I need a bike for ocassional 2 up (long weekend type trips of moderate pace) and long distance solo.

I am planning a trip in a year with my father (he'll be celebrating his 70'th B-day, me and the 40'th) and as he rides a Goldwing, I like knowing I can go a long way on one fill up.

As others have said, if you don't want/need that much fuel, don't fill up that tank. A few fuel cocks, and you can control which tank you use. Close off the stock fuel cell and use all the fuel in the "spare" tank first, then when you get to the dirt, finnish of the extra fuel and then switch on the stock tank. Easy peasy...

I'll pay 1300. If it fits right. I don't need them to paint it...

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #92
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
How about one for the GS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester
I currently have a small firm of fabricators (2 blokes with loads of experience who are just setting up their own business) working on a rear mounted auxiliary tank for the g650x bikes. Because they are a new firm they don't have much work yet and are getting this moving very quickly. If there is a demand, I should be able to get hold of an f800gs on demo from my local bmw dealer so they can attempt to measure it up for a tank as well. After they have finished the GX tank of course.

Keep an eye on the GX thread to see how the tank turns out and let me know if you're interested.

Iain
I picked up my GX aux tank last night and put 9.7 L in it, but I reckon I could squeeze 10L in there. I did the daily commute with the tank on today and it is working well. Fuel is being used from the rear tank and handling of the bike is virtually unaffected. I am aware that the suspension is compressing a fraction more than normal so I will put some extra air in the shock tomorrow.

The tank is mounted firmly on the bike with no movement. I am going to get a friend to follow me soon to look for signs of flexing but I don't expect there to be any. I did have the lower bolt on the subframe diagonal come out somewhere on the journey, but as I didn't tighten them up fully last night that will be my fault. Even so there is still no movement on the tank. We replaced the bolts when we fitted the tank as the originals got a bit chewed up. They had practically seized in there and I am going to copper-slip the new ones, but I didn't want to tighten them fully In case they got stuck again.

The pics show the tank clearly. The welding is really neat and the tank fitted perfectly. Clive said he used magnesium wire to weld rather than silicon. Apparently silicon wire is much easier to weld with but goes white if you try to anodise it. The middle bit of the tank is 3mm alloy, 16 guage I think Clive said, and the sides are 14 guage which is slightly thinner. There are 2 brackets on the top and one long one down the front edge.

I haven't let the shock down yet but will do that over the weekend. However if you look from the rear there is lateral clearance between the chain and the tank. On the wooden blank the chainguard touched the tank with no air in the shock but the chain would not. I believe the final tank is the same but will confirm that.

On the final versions I think Clive wants to radius the backets to make it a bit neater. The fuel outlet will be moved up and in so it is behind the plastics and the optional scottoiler attachment boss may also be repositioned further in.

Clive will sell this tank for the GX bikes, black anodised, for 325. I have also spoken to a dealer who is so impressed with the GX tank that he is prepared to let Clive have access to an F800GS. My First thought is something that looks like a dummy silencer on the right hand side and mounting to the pannier attachment points. I expect that Clive may want a deposit or some kind of assurance that he will definitely sell some of these as there is a fair bit of money and time in making the first tank. If you guys are interested let me know.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #93
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 456
Question

What about the access to the battery and air filter on the F8 with the Touretech Tank
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #94
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50
What about the access to the battery and air filter on the F8 with the Touretech Tank
It will be like every other GS at that point- when you need to get under the tank, you will have invariably just filled the thing with gas and it will take a small crane (or gorilla) to lift it...or you will have to siphon off some gas before you remove it.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #95
Wildman OP
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50
I asked Touratech UK who said that you'd have to remove the tank to get to the air filter but that they'd made it fast and easy to do.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:18 PM   #96
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
Thumbs down

Touratech = Tru-rip-offs!

$2k USD??( you can garentee you will not get "everything" in the kit and will spend time at the local auto shop buying fittings for it!!)

Well fuck me with a feather if that isn't there best rort yet!

What are these morons smoking!

$800 is pushing it IMHO!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #97
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
Touratech = Tru-rip-offs!

$2k USD??( you can garentee you will not get "everything" in the kit and will spend time at the local auto shop buying fittings for it!!)

Well fuck me with a feather if that isn't there best rort yet!

What are these morons smoking!

$800 is pushing it IMHO!!
Absolutly.
You can buy a lot of 10l containers for $2K.
Touratech are in the market mainly to cater for middle aged men with more money than sense.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #98
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike
... Touratech are in the market mainly to cater for middle aged men with more money than sense.
A pretty knowledgeable guy within the industry gave me his view a couple of weeks ago when he said, "25% of what Touratech do is superb, sometimes even necessary for the serious traveller, 75% of it is utterly unnecessary and all of it is massively over-priced."

I use their luggage and that's about it.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 08-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #99
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Jester, one thing to give thought to, 650gx riders probably ride the bike like that, but 800 riders quite often have panniers, so if the aux tank was in the rear you'd likely get no sales on it... I'm not giving up my beautiful $1200 Jesse on this 7,000 mile road trip to extend my fuel range, I'd just fill up a fuel can.

Also, anyone who is willing to spend two G's to extend their range (this is where I go on a tangent) can send me two G's and I'll send you fuel cans that mount to the bike/panniers and either keep the extra 1,950 dollars or donate it to some poor kid so he can get new clothes or some starving kid in Africa. Some big purchases are justifiable, some are just ridic.
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #100
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
Some big purchases are justifiable, some are just ridic.
I'm with DiabloBlanco and Wildman here.
I've yet to see a post where a bike has exploded by strapping on an extra fuel canister (plastic, metal, whatever) of any size and any location.

Just my $0.02.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 AM   #101
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 815
www.rotopax.com

I bought a 1-gallon container that sits nicely on my rack. Can strap a bag over the top. Going farther? Get a 2-gallon. Flat, rugged and easy to carry. And you can fill a few hundred times with the money saved.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #102
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,007
This is starting to sound like something from CS&M...

If you buy it you are a buffoon that spent WAY to much money and obviously an immoral rich guy who squandered away someone else's cash...

OR....

You are a buffoon who is too stupid to have money 'cause you could have bought a few gallon sized cans to strap around you motorcycle.

Why can't they just be guys that have the cash and bought what they liked, what looked like a very good solution, and what worked?

Sheeeesh....

Flame away.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:45 AM   #103
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,312
Tour-a-Tech Tank for F-800

Heads up for the F-800 crowd. There is now a solution out for the tiny gas tank problem of this bike.Touratech presents an oversized tank that replaces thefront body panels and also matches the styling.It holds 5.3 gallons in addition to the stock 4.2 gallons for a total of 9.5 gallons.
Woo-Hoo
The bad news is that the painted version costs $1985.50 in black or dark magnesium. It's available in raw paiuntable finish for $1355.90.
Wow. I have 3 KLR's . The most I paid for one was less than the unpainted tank.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire a guy on a KLR to follow you around and give you a little gas when nessesary?
Unless I win the lottery or something equally unlikely, I won't be drinking the Beemer Cool-aid.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:52 AM   #104
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Or rent a full beer keg (German of course). Drink on it til its dry and then strap it to the back of your bike. The cost of the beer and forefit deposit on the keg will be less than the tank.

Best thing is you wouldn't have to come up with any elaborate plumbing. Just position the tap over the side fuel cap. When it gets thirsty, just open the cap, give the keg a coupl'a pumps and fill'er up.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #105
Wildman OP
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker
Heads up for the F-800 crowd...
Our heads are up. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428565