User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
flyde OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Another way up...

Argentina to Alaska.. Doing it differently...

To summarise quickly, I started in Santiago in Chile in February of 2009. Accompanied by two other riders from New Zealand we set out to the end of the planet, Ushuaia in Tierra de Fuego. Achieving this months later because of the inevitable incidents you can expect being new to the saddle and learning in the loose stuff.
Then we turned north and rode fast, away from the cold, Buenos Aires, Argentina then to Brazil and Rio de Janeiro. It was here we turned towards the setting sun and rode westwards across the continent through Bolivia to Peru. With the bikes and our bums now battle scared we steered north again, eventually reaching Colombia where my companions sold their bikes and in my face was the famous Darien Gap. Much of this early venture we recorded and announced on the web site, Bridging Gaps.

It was here that things took a drastic turn and the concept of crossing the Darien by motorcycle power became the new focus of attention. Joined by one of the new owners of my previous comrade’s bike, my girlfriend from Bolivia and fourth partner in crime, we commenced work on a KLR powered boat . Two months in the scrap yard, combining pieces from cars, rail road, washing machines and fans we eventually converted a 1964 orange life raft into a vessel that ticked along at 6 miles an hour at 3000rpm in fourth gear. Ecstatic and exited we lifted anchor in Turbo Colombia with our course set to Panama where the road was to begin again.

We optimistically saw this possible to achieve in five days. One month later we were towed into the destination wharf by a sailor´s dingy. What we weren't expecting was to search for a welder amongst grass huts, being detained by authorities and trapped in by the weather. Attempting to record it on film we hope to make something of it. We made a full engineering report we posted at this site: Four Strokes of Luck.

Thinking the turmoil had come to an end, we were wrong, my KLR then wouldn’t start and we lost the ever so important spacers from our axle bolts. The only option left was a pick up truck to take us and what resembled motorcycles to Panama City. This achieved we made it at 10pm two days before Christmas. Happy to be alive and a large meal or two later I find myself in Boquete (Panama), painting the Mamallena Hostel to pass the time while my parts slowly make their way in the post. Its been three months since I’ve had my bike on its rubbers, the anticipation for her return is beyond my explanation.
The plan from here is to ride up through Central America and Mexico and for the first time ever, cross the border to the USA. The ultimate goal is Alaska and the funds are fearsomely low, camping and rice will be the crux of my existence but i will find those adventure riding moments when you grin so much your helmet tilts backwards.

flyde screwed with this post 06-03-2010 at 09:32 PM
flyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
ski.dive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
awsome!!!!
ski.dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
Cap'n Crunch
Smelly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
The KLR seems to be the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles. Kawasaki should have included a trailer hitch and a PTO output shaft as standard equipment.

Good luck with the rest of your journey!
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
BigFatHead
Outerspace Hillbilly

Oddometer: 10
Old 01-24-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,552
I saw something about this on the HUBB and forwarded it to a few guys just the other day, I'm glad your posting it up here. Looks like one hell of a time
Old 01-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
flyde OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the support, I pray my parts will be here this week!!

New sprockets and chains, hand grips, spacers for the axle bolts, damper and a stator and ignition coil. mmmmm. After the black paint job I've done on the frame, cleaned every component with a wire brush and installed a bigger and better radiator from a 2008 model. Its going to be like riding a loving girlfriend who has been working out and sun baking while on holidays!

Its been good to see Benny and Charles from A few more miles and Tiernan and Matt form Ride Report also running a thread here. If anyone in on their way, please let me know. I need a break from the painting and of cause a beer with a heads-up on the road ahead is always welcome.

flyde screwed with this post 05-15-2010 at 05:34 PM
Old 01-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Awesome

Old 02-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
This looks like fun ahead still .... a lot of fun. When is the DVD coming out for all of us stuck in the quicksand!!!
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:45 AM   #9
Barra1967cuda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thumb

Awsome adventure ! KLR powered boat very cool to see that done .Will definaly be checking this RR now and then.
If you haven't all ready check this site out alot of KLR people over there alot of them are on this site too .

http://www.klr650.net/forums/
Barra1967cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204
Wicked stuff...................

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
flyde OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Production begins when the footage reaches Australia in two weeks. I'll make sure I keep up to speed with its progress, its quite exciting, I cant wait for mum to see it!

flyde screwed with this post 05-15-2010 at 05:35 PM
Old 02-02-2010, 01:38 AM   #12
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
What a brilliant, yet appearingly simple solution to a problem faced by generations of travellers.

IN for the DVD
Old 02-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
flyde OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Letter to a friend.

Sorry No PICS here, Ride report begins Pg 2

After being out of contact with a friend for a while he set me the task of telling him of the:

TOP 3......SCARIEST
TOP 3......MOST BEAUTIFUL
TOP 3......FUNNIEST

things that have happened on my recent venture. It took me a while so I attached a copy of my response below.

"I think i will begin with the most beautiful things, a beautiful beginning makes sense.

I feel somewhat obliged and proud to mention my beloved Bolivian girlfriend, Claudia, as number one on the beautiful list. Now those formalities are out of the way I can move on to the other beautiful things in my life. Of which there have been many. During the last 25000 km on the bike I have discovered what this adventure riding is all about. It took a while but I think I have it sussed, and will apply this theory to the planned route for the next half of the globe. It’s the times you find yourself leaning right then left then right again in a smooth motion, eyes focused on the inside of the corner and the bike just doing the work. This when added to either a wind along the side of an open body of water or crossing a mountain range that you think you have successfully crossed three times before another ridge presents itself. This is my current recipe for beauty, while I’m sure sunsets on coconut covered islands and even humans have displayed equally as beautiful delights ill leave it at that for now.

As for the funniest...
Claudia reminds me of my spear fishing experiences. Firstly on the Colombian coast off Taganga, I spent a good hour in the shallows taking shot after shot at the abundance of colourful fish swimming beneath me, blue yellow, green and grey. Again and again I reel the spear in with nothing attached, I was ready to give up but then my human brain began to analyse. I decided to paddle up the side of a rock cliff, rounding a corner, I see the first orange fish id seen in my not so extensive diving career. It swam quickly into a craves in the rocks and with that, my instinctive hunting skills kicked in.

I sat, perched at the entrance, spear gun pointed at the only foreseeable escape route for this rare and beautiful specimen. As expected it emerged, naive to what was waiting, there was the familiar shink! The spear was released... I got the little ganger in the gills!!
I decided then to bask in my manliness and present my catch to the other mere mortals in the vicinity, only to be shut down and criticised for shooting Nemo. Ooh shit.. Don’t tell little Poly I shot Nemo while he was on holiday in Colombia, I fear a toddler uprise.

My spear fishing abilities haven’t progressed, I was diving with some natives of the Panamanian coast in the San Blass. I was using an actual spear propelled by rubber you wrap over your hand. Another unsuccessful hour in the water, one of the local boys, I thought, was feeling sorry for me so he guided me down to an underwater overhanging, well beneath my normal dive limit. Struggling, as the fresh air became sparse in my lungs he points out a big fish with the demeanour of a clown hiding in the cave. Without a thought I send the spear hurtling into it. The reaction was far from what I expected, instantaneously I had a spiky balloon the size of a beach ball on the end of the spear. As I struggled back to the surface I had to swim past two of the native lads in a fit of bubbles, finding it hilarious at the expense of my pride, the puffer fish and the task I had ahead of getting the bloody thing off the spear.

Outside of the water it’s the little things, medium sized pig scampering across a busy road oblivious to the chaos it causing, birds pooing on unsuspecting victims asleep in a hammock or a tourists interpretation of what lies within the soup.. Priceless!

Oh yea... the three most scariest...

It’s difficult to explain the three most scariest, not because I’m super tough and scared of nothing! but it’s those frightfully frequent moments when you pop out from around a corner and “Senior Perucho”, driving his shit heap of a bus has never quite grasped the concept of his side of the road. Those moments are intense and riddled with fear. Its only through the mystical powers of luck that I can write to you today and remember the time the three of us took on the infamous “Death Road” in Bolivia. We were presented with a landslide that had fallen over the road earlier that day. What was left was a one foot gap between the rubble and a cliff edge that broke away to a valley, 1000 meters deep, containing the remnants of previously failed passing’s. Needless to say we balanced through the gap, pushing the memories of our previous falls to the back of the mind before throttling away to the road ahead.

Another more recent event was in the motorcycle powered boat, three weeks at sea and the machine was not as oiled as it used to be. We decided an hour from sunset to head out of the protected waters between a five meter gap between two reefs into the swell and towards an island on the horizon. When the first waves hit us it was fun, even exciting as we powered in our homemade vessel over the rolling hills. We got out past swimming distance before the chain sprung off, throwing anchor, it only just caught the bottom. My comrade Rolly fixed the chain, and now knowing the depth, I untied the anchor with the intention to attach another rope to add to its 50m length.

Back in gear we cruised along to the ringing sound of a very near motorbike, I battled at the helm to keep the boat straight. Each wave twisted the vessel (more akin to a bathtub) 90º from the target as it pivoted on the top of the wave. The intended island would only briefly be visible before it disappear as we plunged off the back of the wave before creating a wall of water as the nose of the boat hit the next water mountain to manoeuvre over.

Right on cue, another chain went, 2/3rds of the way to our destination and sanctuary from the seas. Like clockwork I threw the anchor overboard. As the rope whistled away I wondered if it was tied on but after seeing the new extension tied securely, I presumed I had completed this job earlier. How wrong I was, the tail of the rope slipped away, not offering a second to react. Announcing the loss of the anchor to the others was the hard bit, with no method to tie up, it was a game of chance. The unanswered MAYDAY radio call didn’t seem to calm the tension.

To Rolys credit, he got us going again and half an hour after the sun had disappeared, Claudia was huddled under a plastic sheet nursing the pet kitten and Roly was using his hands and a piece of metal to tension two of the chains at the back. I steered Audacia, (the boat) straight onto the nearest reef, risking a hole in the side and damaging the coral (sorry coral). Temporarily safe, we were then within wading distance to the palm tree covered island and our place of rest for that night.

There is only one thing that tops all of this, the scariest of scariest, continuing to haunt me as I progress on my destiny. Many travellers have shared in this fear before me, and many will fear this in the journeys to come. Two words, Bank Balance, I quiver as I write it."

flyde screwed with this post 05-16-2010 at 01:58 PM
Old 04-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #14
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Good to hear you are alive and well -and nearly on the move again. Still having adventures on two wheels! Hope the DVD is progressing?
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #15
tiernan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
What's up Adam, I was just checking your interview the other day. Good stuff, you'll probably even be in the trailer!
I look forward to following your progress here, and hope you can stop in Vegas for a little while with Matt and I.
Have fun at the Central American borders!