User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Pentax DSLR ?

I am planning on adding a DLSR(or mirrorless) camera to my gear. I got a good deal on a Pentax FA 80-320 lens that has good reviews(a 50mm standard lens was included also) .Since I have the Pentax lens already I have been looking onto the K-r and the K-01. I was told that I would need to keep the SR turned off when on the bikes due to damage from vibrations. I don't know how knowledgeable this person is. Would either of these cameras be good for riding or should I sell the lens and start with another beginner level camera. Price is an issue here,bike mods are more important than a camera upgrade. Curious if one brand is more durable than the other.

Thanks

MacG screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 05:34 PM
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
My opinion, they are all so close in quality that it's no big deal. I shoot a Canon XTi I bought back in early 07 and it's ridden a lot of miles in either the trunk or panniers of eithe a Goldwing or a KLR with no issues. A pro level camera will be more weather reistant (dust/shock and water) but I would be willing to bet the Pentax is a better camera than my obsolete 5 year old DSLR. I wouldnt sweat it, but a pentax and go with it, some member on here has taken some great wildlife shots in Colorado using a pentax

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 35,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
I am planning on adding a DLSR(or mirrorless) camera to my gear. I got a good deal on a Pentax FA 80-320 lens that has good reviews(a 50mm standard lens was included also) .Since I have the Pentax lens already I have been looking onto the K-r and the K-01. I was told that I would need to keep the SR turned off when on the bikes due to damage from vibrations. I don't know how knowledgeable this person is. Would either of these cameras be good for riding or should I sell the lens and start with another beginner level camera. Price is an issue here,bike mods are more important than a camera upgrade. Curious if one brand is more durable than the other.

Thanks
Honestly I wouldn't base my decision on having one lens since you are going to be tied to this system. But Pentax is pretty good with value for your dollar on their lower end DSLR's.

The K-01 might suck with the AF and your lens I'd try it out first.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
squidhunter
suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer: 309
I bought a K200 a few years back that I've been very happy with. I spent a ton of time researching and comparing similar cameras before deciding on the Pentax. It has some really nice features for the money, like sealed body, internal stabilization and the ability to use ANY Pentax lense. Plus, the image quality compares very well it's Nikon and Canon counterparts. There are some things it didn't have that other cameras in that price range have, like video capabilities, but that doesn't really matter to me.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Thanks for the input. It looks like the K-r may be a good route to go. I mainly want to step up a bit from the P&S pics I get now.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
HillbillyNinja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,795
My first film SLR was a Pentax. k-1000. Not an automatic anything on that camera, but I digress. Great cameras. They are built with the photographer in mind and don't always have the latest gimmicky gadgets that Nikon and Cannon attach to their bodies like swiveling LCD's and microphone attachments.

The Pentax autofocus is it's only real weak spot. It'll feel slow compared to the D7000 or the 60D, although compared to a P&S, it will be miles ahead.

The K-30 is weather sealed, has a pretty impressive 6fps burst mode and I really like their view finders.

Lense selection is not as good as Cannon or Nikkon, but you won't have any problems finding glass for the body that's acceptable.

Image quality is pretty good.

I played with a K-30 a friend has and really liked most of the ergos. The grip is a little too small for my big man hands, might not be a problem for you.

Not quite as many accessories and enthusiasts as Nikon and Cannon, but that's okay, who want's to follow the herd?
I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give. -Thomas Jefferson

Tornado Alley Rally, June 10th, 2011!
HillbillyNinja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,693
IMHO, the K200D and its replacement (K30) are about the perfect moto-DSLR. They are the only lower-end bodies with modest weather sealing, and there are some reasonably priced sealed lenses as well. I wouldn't be too excited about the K-01 or K-r. I held on to my K200 for a long time, and finally decided to sell it and my lenses, a month before the K30 was announced.

K-30 is the way I would go within Pentax's lineup, but if I was starting over, I'd probably go Nikon. As it is I'm using an advanced Fujifilm point and shoot.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
What kind of pricing are you seeing them for? I see the left over Panasonic Lumix GH1 go for 500 or less and the hack for the video on them makes them look better than video off of a 5D.MKII. Plus, the myraid of inexpensive but great lenses for the Lumix is pretty well thought out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: