Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Vstromdek OP
Vstromdek

Oddometer: 141
Ride With GPS website...awsome.

Check out: http://ridewithgps.com/

Nice site for route/track planning, sharing, and syncing (if fixed) to Garmin's, etc. Also a searcheable database for routes/tracks, route profiles, and more.

Vstromdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
SpenserpVT
Doctor Three Fifty

Oddometer: 252
Looks like a handy and interesting tool! I am creating a free account right now. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Vstromdek OP
Vstromdek

Oddometer: 141
No problem....I'm still checking it out too. I am getting a sync error w/ my Garmin 60cx, and I reported it to the authors.

Very ease "non-Garmin" way to create and share a route...looks promising.
Vstromdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
SpenserpVT
Doctor Three Fifty

Oddometer: 252
Hopefully they will fix that sync error soon! I am just about to upgrade to a 60cx from my eTrex Venture HC.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
zackham
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey Guys,

I'm one of the founders of ridewithgps.com. Glad to see it posted here! We're aware that that series isn't currently supported with our garmin sync feature. I'll prioritize looking into it though. If anyone has files from one of these units that they can send me, shoot them off to zackham@gmail.com

Thanks!
Zack Ham
ridewithgps.com
zackham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:09 AM   #6
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekruyter
Check out: http://ridewithgps.com/

Nice site for route/track planning, sharing, and syncing (if fixed) to Garmin's, etc. Also a searcheable database for routes/tracks, route profiles, and more.

Since the home page says "See a graph of your speed, cadence, heart rate, and more" it would seem this is aimed at bicyclists?

I see a motorcycle helmet in the logo, but not too many moto related items in the first couple pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackham
Hey Guys,

I'm one of the founders of ridewithgps.com. Glad to see it posted here! We're aware that that series isn't currently supported with our garmin sync feature. I'll prioritize looking into it though. If anyone has files from one of these units that they can send me, shoot them off to zackham@gmail.com

Thanks!
Zack Ham
ridewithgps.com
Welcome.

What kind of files are you referring to? The Garmin GPX files are the same for the GPSMap units.

It looks like your site uses Garmin Connect to communicate with the GPS. I'm not sure that the GPSMap units are supported by Connect. Looks more like the Sports units like the Forerunner.

And also - how does routing work? The GPS units have their own mapsets. Map data is required to do routing, and not everyone has the same map data. Units like the 60cx recalulate routes when loaded to them. How does your software deal with that so the route is maintained?

Thanks,

Dave

----------------
edit -

So I had a few minutes to play, created an account, and logged in.

The site seems to use Google maps as their basemap, then adds the ability to do point and click routing. Looks interesting. I'm interested in hearing how it would work with GPS units that do their own routing via a basemap, or added maps.

I did try to get info up/down to my 376c and received an error because my device did not support the type FitnessHistoryDirectory. So I'm guessing you have to have a unit, like the Forerunner or Edge that supports the fitness software.

I was given the opportunity to load a gpx file from a directory on my computer. So I guess that would work for an upload. But on routing, I'm not seeing how that would work since all the road units will have to create their own route from the one loaded into the GPS, and you will have issues with different mapsets.

dunno.....

9Dave screwed with this post 01-24-2010 at 10:17 AM
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:23 AM   #7
Robson Jaborá/SC
Brazilian Adventurer...

Oddometer: 577
I'm in...
Let's what it does...
Jaborá, SC - Brasil
Robson Jaborá/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,934
google or OSM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackham
Hey Guys,

Thanks!
Zack Ham
ridewithgps.com
zack - i had a really quick question, that may appeal to others here...

when doing a search for routes, the "thumbnail" of the route appears to use the OSM / OpenStreetMap as it's basemap, but all other views seem to use google's maps. is there any reason for this? will you be allowing users to select which basemap they use for display in the future?

for some riders (moto or cycle) using google's maps will be sub-par as google's maps don't have trail systems. (OSM might not either, but it's up to the individual users to add them ) for off-road riders, this will be a crucial feature.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
Nopork
Dickhead Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
"I did try to get info up/down to my 376c and received an error because my device did not support the type FitnessHistoryDirectory. So I'm guessing you have to have a unit, like the Forerunner or Edge that supports the fitness software."

I had the same error message when trying to upload to my Zumo 550, it would not allow it to upload into Mapsource, in order for me to download it to the GPS or memory card. I could be doing something wrong though. Better instructions for how to interface to different Garmin units would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
Penguin69
You pay as you go

Oddometer: 41
Thanks for sharing, looks like a great tool!
Old 01-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
Barney Fife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Yes, thanks for sharing. I got on the site today and think that it will be really useful for planning my backroads rides.

I have a Garmin Oregon 200 and might someday buy maps after I decide whether I want City Navigator type maps or topo maps. In the meantime, I've been downloading free maps from GPSFileDepot and OpenStreetMap. For my backroads rides, I like to do my routing on my computer and then transfer tracks to my GPS. The routable OSM maps were good for this, but seemed to have discontinuities in some of the roads and wouldn't route through some places even though the roads went through. Always seemed to be on or near a county line.

Anyway, the user interface on the RideWithGPS site is very intuitive for me and in a few minutes I was able to lay out a very circuitous 150-mile loop through the Flint Hills here in Kansas. I also checked some of the places that I'm familiar with in Colorado and could route over the 4WD passes in the San Juans near Ouray. From RideWithGPS I saved as a track to a gpx file which I can then transfer to my Oregon.
Barney Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,073
The Garmin Sync is using the Garmin Connect API which is not the API for interrogating the \garmin\gpx\ folders on the newer Garmin GPS's that this community use. The Garmin Connect API is only for the Garmin Fitness GPS units. What would be better for this community would be to have a "Download/Upload" link that would use the Garmin Communicator Browser Plug-in to read/write-to either of the possible \garmin\gpx\ folders on a unit. It would also be good if the on-map created route could be saved/downloaded as either a GPX Route or Track - but a GPX Track minimally.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 01-24-2010 at 07:08 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
I see a motorcycle helmet in the logo, but not too many moto related items in the first couple pages.

I was given the opportunity to load a gpx file from a directory on my computer. So I guess that would work for an upload. But on routing, I'm not seeing how that would work since all the road units will have to create their own route from the one loaded into the GPS, and you will have issues with different mapsets.
Thanks Dave, I was lost from the first page.

Bottom line can I look at posted Tracks somehow?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #14
Barney Fife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK
...... It would also be good if the on-map created route could be saved/downloaded as either a GPX Route or Track - but a GPX Track minimally.
After you save your route (on the website) you are then given the option to view the route. On the screen where you are viewing your route there is a menu on the right-hand side of the page to save the route as either a route or a track in a gpx file onto your computer.

I first saved my route as a track onto my computer and then loaded it into MapSource and it worked fine. I then tried the same except saved it as a route but that file wouldn't load into MapSource. The route file not loading is not really a problem for me since I plan to use tracks, but I thought I would share the experience.
Barney Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:16 AM   #15
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Fife
After you save your route (on the website) you are then given the option to view the route. On the screen where you are viewing your route there is a menu on the right-hand side of the page to save the route as either a route or a track in a gpx file onto your computer.

I first saved my route as a track onto my computer and then loaded it into MapSource and it worked fine. I then tried the same except saved it as a route but that file wouldn't load into MapSource. The route file not loading is not really a problem for me since I plan to use tracks, but I thought I would share the experience.
So long as you save the route created as a track - that will work if you like tracks when riding (no turn by turn routing on a lot of units) and they will easily work with your unit. Older Garmin units, like the Streetpro, Quest, etc. do not easily handle track uploads, and will not load multiple tracks. Even the newest units like the Zumo's have problems with uploaded tracks.

Routes are tied to mapsets, and autoroutable ones at that like City Nav, City Select, etc. (Except for point to point routes, which are not really useful in the context of this discussion). So creating a route in Google, downloading it to your PC, then trying to have your PC or GPS show that exact route will not work because the mapsets you have are not autoroutable. Even if they were, there is no guarantee they would reproduce the same route as created on the website as the PC and GPS mapping might make different choices between waypoints, and your routing preferences would also come into play.

So it still appears to be a useful site, just not as easy for the moto world as might first appear.

dunno.....

9Dave screwed with this post 01-25-2010 at 03:23 AM
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote