User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #16
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,126
To Dave's point, Routes are normally not of much value to the discussions here. But, to many older, and some newer, GPS's that don't do Tracks well as Dave indicated routing is important. My suggestion that the RideWithGPS site produce a Route file wasn't articulated well.

So, I think it might be interesting to see what people think if they could get a Point-to-Point Route saved where the "shaping points" for the Route are based on the Google Directions. That way each GPS or mapping software could calculate the Route but it would maintain the "shaping points". You might still go on a road surface you weren't expecting between each shaping point but that's the case with any calculated route since it is based on a set of preferences that give variable weights to the routing algorithm.

Unfortunately I don't think(?) Google Maps API provides LAT/LON for the Directions produced from a route.

By the way, there currently isn't an option on the Ride With GPS "saved routes" page to save your route as a Route - only options are a gpx track - tcx - kml file.

I think this could be a really nice site since it combines the standard Google Maps app with the features of GMaptoGPX to create and download a Track from Google Maps not to mention a KML file.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:52 AM   #17
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
I don't get it, is it usefull for "Offroaders", since it uses Googlemaps it only shows roads?

How do a make an offroad-track when I cant see anything but roads?
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #18
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Maybe not so much in your part of the world but here in North America, Mexico and south, it can be. Google Maps show roads of all kinds and in my state (Washington) there are over 200,000 miles of dirt roads in all types of condition - some not more than a faint path through the hills. They all show on Google Maps since at one time many years ago they were Forest Service roads but haven't been maintained for decades.

If you are talking truly no-road riding then this site will not be of any value to you unless the developer goes to a lot of work to provide edit tools so you can create GMAP Polylines and save them as Tracks; which you can do in Google Maps-My Maps.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #19
Barney Fife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK
.... If you are talking truly no-road riding then this site will not be of any value to you unless the developer goes to a lot of work to provide edit tools so you can create GMAP Polylines and save them as Tracks; which you can do in Google Maps-My Maps.
Doesn't the "Draw Lines" selection (as opposed to "Follow Roads") on the right hand side of the screen in RideWithGPS do the same as Google Maps Polylines?

I created a backroads route mostly using "Follow Roads" but also switched to "Draw Lines" in places where the maps wouldn't route but I knew that I could get through.
Barney Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #20
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Fife
I created a backroads route mostly using "Follow Roads" but also switched to "Draw Lines" in places where the maps wouldn't route but I knew that I could get through.
Yes if you know your way, then theres no problem, but I mostly do tracks where I never been before so I need some kind of topo-map as a base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK
Maybe not so much in your part of the world but here in North America, Mexico and south, it can be. Google Maps show roads of all kinds and in my state (Washington) there are over 200,000 miles of dirt roads in all types of condition - some not more than a faint path through the hills. They all show on Google Maps since at one time many years ago they were Forest Service roads but haven't been maintained for decades.
That sounds great, then you really have a use for Google maps!
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #21
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Fife
Doesn't the "Draw Lines" selection (as opposed to "Follow Roads") on the right hand side of the screen in RideWithGPS do the same as Google Maps Polylines?

Yes - already there...missed it. Thanks for catching.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #22
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfucius
Yes if you know your way, then theres no problem, but I mostly do tracks where I never been before so I need some kind of topo-map as a base.
If you switch the Map to Terrain view you have TOPO maps...does that do what you are looking for?

EDIT: I have noticed that in Google Maps Terrain View, there are no "Trails" shown. This is to bad. If the Terrain maps had OHV National Trails (maybe as an overlay) it would be an awesome online app. No more need to MapSource, BaseCamp or any of the other Route Planning apps for many people.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 01-26-2010 at 02:59 PM
Old 02-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #23
Cooldollar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Web program for creating / saving routes

Hi Team.

Check out the free program www.ridewithgps.com
It looks quite usefull for creating storing and viewing GPS routes and tracks.
Cheers from Down Under.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #24
beech350guy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Great Job!

Hi everyone, I just want to throw up a THANK YOU to the website creator for making this neat site!

I found it VERY intuitive, and well laid out. I will be downloading the GPX file to my new zumo very soon, and look forward to using it...

I know this site took a lot of work, and once again, GREAT JOB!!

Big Mike

beech350guy screwed with this post 02-11-2010 at 11:29 PM
beech350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #25
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

beech350guy,

You may be aware of what GPX Routes are and what they don't do. But, just a couple of things for review....

First, depending upon which zumo you have, 450/500/550 or 660, will determine whether you will want to download a GPX Route or GPX Track.

For the zumo 450/500/550 a GPX Route is best. A GPX Route is made up of the Via Points you created when you clicked a spot on the road map. Lines are drawn by the RideWithGPS program to follow the Roads or Not (your choice) from point to point. When you Export that route as a GPX Route the only things you get that are useful to your zumo are the Via Points. When you Import that route on the zumo it will recalculate the route using those Via Points. Depending upon where you placed the Via Points in your RideWithGPS route and how many Via Points you created will determine how well the zumo represents (calculates) the route compared to your original. My suggestion is to create Via Points just past every major road intersection along your route in RideWithGPS. You may have to adjust the route in RideWithGPS to get it to go the way you wanted to but that will give you the best chance to get a similar route in the zumo.

If you have a zumo660, create your route in RideWithGPS and then Export as a GPX Track. The zumo660 can Import this track and it will be faithful to the route you created in RideWithGPS.

Sorry if that was obvious...but, hopefully it might save you some time/frustration with the zumo's.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #26
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,434
on http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
you can do a lot of similar stuff using the freehand tool which has a very nice selection of maps to use.
BKMLWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #27
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Yes, Adam Schneider's site is extremely useful and has tools for EVERYTHING. But, it's not nearly as easy to use for the less-technically-minded GPS user as RideWithGPS. It also does not incorporate the "follow roads" GMAP API in the "sandbox" editor - which is OK but just not as novice friendly.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #28
Buster452
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Totally new to gpx files and such. In fact, this is my first night messing with it and stumbled upon the ridewithgps site on my own, then ran into this thread here.

Ok, this give me reason to buy a real gps/chartplotter. Tonight I've been playing with EasyGPS and my ancient Garmin Etrex Legend loading up some tracks I made on ridewithgps. The most I've used my etrex for before was on my boat to mark and find fishing spots and lay down tracks to navigate in the dark through shallow waters to get back to the campsite. Mostly dead reconing stuff.

I've just started uploading some GPX files into my iphone using motionx gps. It's OK, but for usability I do believe I'll be needing something like a 276c. At least with motionx, I can download some off-line maps for now.

I wonder if you can see my routes. http://ridewithgps.com/users/6133/routes
Buster452 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #29
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

As you get more comfortable with this stuff you might want to try EveryTrail. It is much more mature than Ride With GPS. You can upload your GPX files complete with Waypoints. Create routes/trips from your Waypoints, etc...

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #30
Penguin69
You pay as you go

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster452
I wonder if you can see my routes. http://ridewithgps.com/users/6133/routes

I can see them, no problems there.