Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #31
Buster452
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Laugh GPS on the cheap

Ok, I have my really cheap setup working well now.

First, the caveat. All I can do is ride pre-planned routes. If I navigate on the fly, I'm back to paper maps.

When planning the route, I play around on ridewithgps.com with different routes. Once I have the route I want to take, I export it as a .gpx track.

Now comes the fun part. My el cheapo (free) etrex legend can only handle tracks with fewer than 700 points. Problem is, a good days ride has over 1500. At first I broke the day into multiple tracks and uploaded them individually to my gps. Then, I stumbled upon a site that'll compact the routes and remove points from the track. I can now make longer tracks and fit them on my gps. http://www.coursemapper.com/coursecompacter.htm

Then, I use easygps to upload the now compacted gpx track to my etrex legend. http://www.easygps.com/

The El Cheapo GPS is an Etrex Legend I got for free from raffle years ago. The maps on it suck, but at least it'll point me with a bearing/bent line along a track. I've hit the limits on the size of the tracks (hence the compactor), but I have yet to run out of room for the number of tracks I can store. I typically keep things neat and tidy though and only have tracks for the area I'll be in.

I mounted it to the handlebars using the el cheapo bicycle mount. I have yet to have the vibration problems others have had with making the battery contacts temporarily fail causing the unit to shut off. I have crashed with it mounted on here. The GPS safely ejects itself into the dirt and is easily re-attached. Not ideal, but it's what I expect from a $25 mount.

Keeps me from getting too lost.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #32
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,829
So why don't you just download the tracks to Mapsource, then filter them to stay within your unit's limits, and upload it.

Sounds like a lot less work.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #33
Buster452
Gnarly Adventurer

Because I don't own MapSource. I've tried the little trick of downloading the MapSource update and manually unzipping and installing a portion of the update. I've gotten MapSource to install using that method, but it has no maps.

To get the maps, it looks like it's about $100.

Ok, $100 it's not too expensive but what I'm doing now is an interim solution until I get different GPS device. For now , spending $100 to push tracks to a GPS that's worth less than $100 doesn't make much sense.

Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
So why don't you just download the tracks to Mapsource, then filter them to stay within your unit's limits, and upload it.

Sounds like a lot less work.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #34
TavisB
@TavisB

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster452
Because I don't own MapSource. I've tried the little trick of downloading the MapSource update and manually unzipping and installing a portion of the update. I've gotten MapSource to install using that method, but it has no maps.

To get the maps, it looks like it's about $100.

Ok, $100 it's not too expensive but what I'm doing now is an interim solution until I get different GPS device. For now , spending $100 to push tracks to a GPS that's worth less than $100 doesn't make much sense.

Buster
http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/
TavisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #35
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Because I don't own MapSource. I've tried the little trick of downloading the MapSource update and manually unzipping and installing a portion of the update. I've gotten MapSource to install using that method, but it has no maps.Buster
If what you want to do is reduce the tracks, you don't really need an detailed map data.

But whatever works.

dunno.....
Old 04-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #36
Buster452
Gnarly Adventurer

Mapsource doesn't work without a map. It tries to launch and then fails indicating it needs a map.

Been searching, but I can't find the ibycususa maps on torrent. I can find the Canada ones just fine, but not the usa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
If what you want to do is reduce the tracks, you don't really need an detailed map data.

But whatever works.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #37
TavisB
@TavisB

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Mapsource doesn't work without a map. It tries to launch and then fails indicating it needs a map.

Been searching, but I can't find the ibycususa maps on torrent. I can find the Canada ones just fine, but not the usa.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/103650/IbycusUSA20.exe

Try that. Let me know if it works, I'll only be able to have it up for download for a short time.
TavisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #38
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
Route sharing and ride analysis tool

Anybody use the this site?
http://ridewithgps.com/
Old 04-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #39
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:

I think this works

Installing Mapsource without a Garmin GPS

But haven't tried it in a while.

dunno.....
Old 04-22-2010, 12:45 AM   #40
Buster452
Gnarly Adventurer

Got it. Installing it now. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TavisB
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/103650/IbycusUSA20.exe

Try that. Let me know if it works, I'll only be able to have it up for download for a short time.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #41
Cooldollar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Help - Is anyone using Ride With GPS software program?

Hi Team.

I have a Garmin GPS 60CSx. I have been successfully using this awesome little unit on the Strom for approx 2 years.

Up until now I have been using Garmin Mapsource to draw routes on my PC, then transfer them to the GPS, then navigate sucessfully. Happy Days !!!

Then I discovered a great free web based mapping program called www.ridewithgps.com this is when the trouble started.

Being both a keen cyclist and Stromist I am keen to use what looks to be a great program.

The mapping part of it is great, it is much easier / quicker to draw a map (=route) on this program using what looks like Google maps than it is to use the City Navigator that I am using in Mapsource.

The problem seems to be in saving then exporting the map file to Mapsource to enable the route to be transfered to the GPS.

I was under the impression that it had to be a GPX file format to sucessfully transfer. This is the path I have been going down to no avail.

Check out Ride With GPS I am sure it is something very basic I am doing wrong here.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. I have spent far too long trying to work this through.

Cheers Ian
Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #42
drewjb7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
ridewithgps

Not sure if this is your situation or not but I had no luck opening files exported as routes but no problem at all opening files exported as tracks.

Drew
drewjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #43
CHIA
Ya, right

Oddometer: 59
Anyone else use Tyre???

The program I use, which is also free, and utilizes Google Maps, Tyre:

http://www.tyre.tk/

Shares some similarities with ridewithgps, but is faster, has many more features, and is just as easy to use.

One similarity.....uploading to my 60CSx does not seem to work..."says" it does, but doesn't, no big deal.

I make my route in Tyre, then save the GPX file, then simply use MapSource to load it to the unit, works perfectly.
CHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #44
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,301
Rwgps

anyone notice when you are running this program it SLOWS down your computer a lot? I have a good laptop running Win 7 64 bit 2 GHZ processor and when editing my route it is killing the speed of my computer...any advise?
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #45
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,511
Does this work with the 60csx yet?

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote