Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #16
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,172
Here is a quick shot of the HDB top clamp installed. I'll take better pics once I get the hand guards installed (note the hand guard brackets already installed on the top clamp).

Chadx screwed with this post 04-28-2010 at 08:21 PM
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #17
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,172
A shot from an angle to see the custom lower clamps. These risers are about 2" taller than stock. I chose a bar bend that was 1/2" shorter than stock netting me 1.5" of rise over the stock height. It really has opened up the cockpit. I will have plenty of room to use the standard powerlets, if I want, rather than the lower profile powerlets. I wanted to get my rise from the bar clamps rather than from handlebar bend so this worked out great.

Though it may look like it from the following image, the risers and clamp do not block the speedo. The shot up above shows my view from my standard riding position.

Chadx screwed with this post 04-28-2010 at 08:22 PM
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #18
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,907
Wow Paul, I really like the new clamp with the lower aux holes. And the remote and key combo piece is nice too.

I've had the HDB stuff on both my KTM525 and my Husky 610...... in my mind it's easily the best system out there. As soon as I can I'll be setting up the new bike too....

525 fitting pictures

Husky TE610 HDB pictures
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #19
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,697
Install Finished

Just wanted to post up some photos of the finished install on my WR. This setup has worked out perfectly! Paul & HDB are kilin it!!

You can check out my complete install here. I got videos of the install as well as connecting up all the electrical connections. Now.. bring on warmer weather!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:46 AM   #20
snakecharmr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
has anyone fitted these to a KLR, looks like a better way for me to ad the 12v outlet and beef the top clamp up a bit.. Not sure if the handguards would work with the front headlight fairing though.

thanks
Old 02-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #21
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
Just wanted to post up some photos of the finished install on my WR. This setup has worked out perfectly! Paul & HDB are kilin it!!

You can check out my complete install here. I got videos of the install as well as connecting up all the electrical connections. Now.. bring on warmer weather!
Looks awesome! I've been corresponding with Paul on a newer top clamp with a very sexy set-up inspired by yours...I'll either post up here (easier to search for fellow inmates) or create a new one...

Makes me want to get a WR!
Old 02-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #22
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Here are pix of my handguards installed.

Anodized top clamp with ram ball installed on bracket.

Handguard with mirror

Handguard and mirror as seen from the front of the bike. Note here that you can see the brakeline rubbing against the handguard bar - will loosen the banjo bolt and move brake line up just a tad and all should be good.

OKDQ screwed with this post 02-07-2010 at 02:12 PM
OKDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #23
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ
Here are pix of my handguards installed.

Anodized top clamp with ram ball installed on bracket.

Handguard with mirror

Handguard and mirror as seen from the front of the bike. Note here that you can see the brakeline rubbing against the handguard bar - will loosen the banjo bolt and move brake line up just a tad and all should be good.
OKDQ.. looks nice!!! Hey you got a part # for that RAM ball, I want to do the same thing, and there are two types of "balls", I need to make sure I get the right one

thanks!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #24
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
Hey you got a part # for that RAM ball
x2!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #25
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino
x2!
No part number, the one in the photo actually came off of another old holder I had - it is not exactly the right size (shaft is too long). I ordered the RAM-TINY (1/4"x20) and should get it this week. I'll let you know if that turns out to be the right size or not.
OKDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #26
ejtv
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,322
This guy http://vimeo.com/9038421 has a pretty good video of how he installed his HDB clamps. I followed the same steps on mine.

Here are a few pics of mine:

Taking the old clamps off: Right side in the WR250R was a real pain. Needed a 19 mm deep socket and followed the above video's tips.

After installing the 3 Circuit Solution by Eastern Beaver, I pre-installed the whole rig and tested the connections to make sure the Hotgrips, powerlets and switches were working before glueing the Hotgrips and to make sure everything, including the handguards fit together. I had to saw off the edge of throttle sleeve (not sure if that is how it is called) to fit the handguard bolt on the throttle side (obvious to many, but I'm new to this and had to wonder....). I did not have to bend the bars to make them fit.

Here is how it looked before glueing. Seemed pretty good to me:

After installing the Hotgrips for real and making all the electrical connections with posilocks I used zip ties and electric tape to tidy up and weatherproof them into one piece and then pushed it down into the steering column with the rest of the stock electric wires.

Here is where I bought the ram ball, 3/8" 16 thread, then installed with a lock nut and nut.

I did have difficulty installing the low profile Powerlets. The top clamp as too thick for this socket style, so I could not use the stock rubber washer. I had to make one from a bicycle tire inner tube.

I was able to use electrical tape it all the way down to the loom that contained all the 3 Circuit Solution cables. To the right of this picture you may note that the brake line can rub against the handguards. I had to loosen the brake line bolt and rotate it towards the steering column in order to be able to adjust the front break lever to what I consider the optimal position.

Overall I am extremely happy with the HDB products. The owner answers questions via email rapidly, is very helpful and is accommodating with returns. I understand he can also custom size the various top clamp holes for your switches.

Road Reports by ejtv click here

ejtv screwed with this post 02-11-2010 at 10:51 PM
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:36 AM   #27
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,016
Just want to chime in a report my great experiance with Paul @ HDB.
He answered all of my dumb questions ans got me what I wanted quick.
Thanks HDB!
Assfault
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #28
ejtv
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,322
minor mod to HDB hand-guards/mirrors

Couldn't get the correct angle to my mirrors given the current angle and location of metal hand-guards/handlebars, so I sawed about a square inch off the outer top edge of both plastic hand-guards. Not most elegant solution, but it worked for me:

This allows a greater than 90 degree angle for the mirrors:

Road Reports by ejtv click here
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #29
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,125
Xr650r?

Does HDB make a top clamp or mounting kit for this?

http://www.brpmoto.com/product_info....oducts_id=1574
Old 02-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #30
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Reading the PDF directions for the guards it mentions having to tap the bar ends. I am decent with tools but I have never tapped metal before. What sort of skill level does a person need to pull off this job with a fair degree of confidence? Thing that pop into my ignorant mind is not starting the tapping at a correct angle and ruining the bars for example.

TIA.
GeckoRider is offline   Reply With Quote