ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #46
Chadx OP
Off the road again..
 
Chadx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
I've had the HDB handgaurds and mirrors on my 525 since last fall and was so happy with them that I put a set on my 950 Adventure and my wife's XT225 before heading to Baja in January.
Looks like a great ride. Did you write up a ride report? Have a linky? I'd like to check it out.

In the second photo above, are those MSR Elephant ears over the top of the HDB handguards? How did you like them (or whichever shields those are)? Looks like they are on their without the HDB shields in place. That might be a good summer option for quick off-and-on wind and weather protection. Have the E Ears on to block the wind on those cold desert mornings, then pull them off for hot afternoons so the wind gets to your hands. And all summer long, have them off but handy so if rain in eminent, you can slap them on.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #47
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
Looks like a great ride. Did you write up a ride report? Have a linky? I'd like to check it out.

In the second photo above, are those MSR Elephant ears over the top of the HDB handguards? How did you like them (or whichever shields those are)? Looks like they are on their without the HDB shields in place. That might be a good summer option for quick off-and-on wind and weather protection. Have the E Ears on to block the wind on those cold desert mornings, then pull them off for hot afternoons so the wind gets to your hands. And all summer long, have them off but handy so if rain in eminent, you can slap them on.

Here's the ride report:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542898

No, those are the new HDB larger hand shields. These were "prototype" gaurds on my 950, so I'm not sure if all of them come with these now or not. I really like them, though.

__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #48
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer
 
OKDQ's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Central Oklahoma
Oddometer: 532
Hayduke, are your HDB handguard shields translucent or is it just a reflection? I didn't see that option when I ordered mine - translucent smoke would be cool tho. Edit: Ops I saw your reply/photo to Chadx - he must have posted while I was typing - pretty much answers my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke

+1 on the excellent write up Chadx, sometimes (ok, almost always) I fail to acknowledge or compliment good work - ask my wife if you don't believe me.


Jo nuke - Don't worry, when I crash trying to take a photo from my ram mounted camera I won't even mention t my lawyers that I got the idea from you!
OKDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #49
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ

Jo nuke - Don't worry, when I crash trying to take a photo from my ram mounted camera I won't even mention t my lawyers that I got the idea from you!

Ram Mounts, pheh. Handheld is the way to go .

__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #50
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Monterey, CA
Oddometer: 379
Mirror quality

Hey guys,

For those of you that have the HDB mirrors, what are your thoughts. The stock mirrors on my bike worked well (no vibrations, useful mirrors) but were too ugly and not practical. I replaced them with the cheap ass MSR mirror to meet the legal requirements, but they are effectively useless due to vibrations.

Would like to see how the HDB mirrors stack up. If there is too much vibrations, I might as well stick with the MSR ones.

Thanks,

Jim
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #51
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer
 
OKDQ's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Central Oklahoma
Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette
Hey guys,

For those of you that have the HDB mirrors, what are your thoughts. The stock mirrors on my bike worked well (no vibrations, useful mirrors) but were too ugly and not practical. I replaced them with the cheap ass MSR mirror to meet the legal requirements, but they are effectively useless due to vibrations.

Would like to see how the HDB mirrors stack up. If there is too much vibrations, I might as well stick with the MSR ones.

Thanks,

Jim
Obviously Hayduke can answer this better than I can, but I am leaving Wednesday for a 3-day ride in Big Bend, TX. I'll know how the well the mirrors work after that.

Also, reading on HDB's website he explains his handguards came about by trying to find a good mirror for DS use (or something along that line, best I can remember). I've seen various comments in other post saying the mirrors work well.
OKDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #52
Chadx OP
Off the road again..
 
Chadx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
No, those are the new HDB larger hand shields. These were "prototype" gaurds on my 950, so I'm not sure if all of them come with these now or not. I really like them, though.

Ah, I see that now on Paul's website. Looks like those are the ones that can be retro wired for turnsignals, too. They are all probably that now since that would make it simpler for him to use one mold for both varieties.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #53
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette
Hey guys,

For those of you that have the HDB mirrors, what are your thoughts. The stock mirrors on my bike worked well (no vibrations, useful mirrors) but were too ugly and not practical. I replaced them with the cheap ass MSR mirror to meet the legal requirements, but they are effectively useless due to vibrations.

Would like to see how the HDB mirrors stack up. If there is too much vibrations, I might as well stick with the MSR ones.

Thanks,

Jim

I just got back from nearly 2000 miles with them in Baja...

Honestly, I had the same thoughts that you had. I wasn't sure if they would be useful or just meet the requirement of having "something". My fears were completely unjustified.

We did alot of road miles, and once I got used to looking to the bar ends to see, they worked amazingly well. Very clear view behind me. No more vibration than the stock mirrors. My 950 (with it's octagon wheels and knobbies) isn't the smoothest thing on the road, so a little vibration was expected. But where these mirrors mount, you have a great view.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #54
Chadx OP
Off the road again..
 
Chadx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ
+1 on the excellent write up Chadx
And the same thanks to everyone else that has added their images, installation vids, experience and opinion...some of who I poked with a stick to contribute on this specific thread since they had already posted great info in bike-specific threads. I just remember when I was trying to track down more HDB info and it was scattered across many different ride reports, bike-specific threads, or general "which handguard/top clamp" threads. I wanted to have a place to consolidate the HDB specific conversation so it's all in one spot. Kind of a go to thread on the subject. I know I would have found that handy when I first started digging for the info.

The real props go to Paul at HDB for working with me, in the first place, to come up with a top clamp and powerlet solution that worked for me. Bonus that many others have found a use for the redesign and Paul has made it a standard offering.

That being said, I'm waiting for the mercury to rise above 10 degrees this morning so I can go out and do the final adjustments and once-over on all my controls and fasteners and go for my first spin with my new setup. I think it will be plenty warm today (high of 25) so I'm hoping the maiden voyage gets a thumbs up.

Chadx screwed with this post 12-10-2010 at 09:22 PM
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #55
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
Ah, I see that now on Paul's website. Looks like those are the ones that can be retro wired for turnsignals, too. They are all probably that now since that would make it simpler for him to use one mold for both varieties.

I want to move the signals there on my 525.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #56
Chadx OP
Off the road again..
 
Chadx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejtv
Couldn't get the correct angle to my mirrors given the current angle and location of metal hand-guards/handlebars, so I sawed about a square inch off the outer top edge of both plastic hand-guards. Not most elegant solution, but it worked for me.
This allows a greater than 90 degree angle for the mirrors:

ejtv,
In working with the final installation of my handguards and mirrors, I thought back to your mod. At first, I thought I might have to do the same thing, but then I realized that the intended deployed position of the mirrors is all the way out rather than vertical (see HDB website image below).




I don't think there is a right or wrong position and one needs to do what works for them. The nice thing about deploying them vertically, as you have done, is the hinge then allows for vertical field of view adjustments. When deployed more to the sides, as in the above image, the mirror is angled about 60 degrees from vertical so the hinge allows for more horizontal field of view adjustment (though, due to the angle, a bit of vertical, too).

In tightening down everything yesterday, I had the handguards rotated up as far as they would go and when I deployed the mirrors to the side, I couldn't get them at quite the right angle. I loosened everything and lowered the angle of the entire hand guard setup, and now the mirrors are perfect (at least from sitting in the yard and comparing it to objects behind me. I'll now more after today's ride). This does put the handguards slightly lower than where I would angle them if I was not adjusting for the mirrors.

I did note that one mirror's fit and rotation is way tighter than the other. This appears to be because the outside bends, of the two hand guards, start at slightly different points; one making it's initial bend closer to the mirror mount. Some of that was from the factory bend and some of it from my needed bend adjustment. They needed to be tweaked because the bar bend I chose had very little pullback compared to stock bars and most aftermarket bends.

I'll report back after a bit of riding and tweaking. My final solution may end up being more along the lines of ejtv's notch-out solution...Not to be confused with a Nacho solution.

Chadx screwed with this post 02-21-2010 at 11:15 AM
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #57
Charla
Tamalamian
 
Charla's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 26,021
I met Paul at a local riding area and year or so ago and when I saw these handguards on his bike I started drooling all over them.

On my KLX250 I went through a couple sets of guards that would continually bend and twist before I finally decided to go with the HDB guards. My husband Ben was incredibly impressed with the quality of the guards and decided he needed a set for his 640 Adventure as well.

On the same Baja trip with Hayduke I managed to crash into a hole filled with concrete rubble. It was an ugly crash but the HDB handguards performed perfectly and came away with very negligible movement and just a scratch on the plastic shield.

The mirrors also performed very well. My KLX is a very smooth running bike and there was almost no vibration in the mirrors. I kept them in the deployed position for most of the trip and the only issue I had was the nut loosened up just a bit on the right mirror which allowed it to blow back in the wind. It was easy enough to reach out and adjust it though and at the end of each day I would forget to tighten it up. It took me a little while to realize the mirror was a bit convex and that the rider behind me was actually a bit closer than they appeared but that also gave me a wider view of what was going on behind me.





When I returned from the trip I sold my KLX. When we were negotiating the price the buyer asked if I would go lower. I said yes but that I was going to keep the HDB handguards for that price. That turned out to be a sticking point and he quickly agreed to my original asking price.

Now I need to get another set for my new bike.

I had intended to do a review thread myself but you guys beat me to it. I can't speak highly enough of Paul and his product. The service and performance you get from HDB are worth every penny.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #58
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla
I met Paul at a local riding area and year or so ago and when I saw these handguards on his bike I started drooling all over them.

On my KLX250 I went through a couple sets of guards that would continually bend and twist before I finally decided to go with the HDB guards. My husband Ben was incredibly impressed with the quality of the guards and decided he needed a set for his 640 Adventure as well.

On the same Baja trip with Hayduke I managed to crash into a hole filled with concrete rubble. It was an ugly crash but the HDB handguards performed perfectly and came away with very negligible movement and just a scratch on the plastic shield.

The mirrors also performed very well. My KLX is a very smooth running bike and there was almost no vibration in the mirrors. I kept them in the deployed position for most of the trip and the only issue I had was the nut loosened up just a bit on the right mirror which allowed it to blow back in the wind. It was easy enough to reach out and adjust it though and at the end of each day I would forget to tighten it up. It took me a little while to realize the mirror was a bit convex and that the rider behind me was actually a bit closer than they appeared but that also gave me a wider view of what was going on behind me.


.

HEY That's ME!
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #59
Charla
Tamalamian
 
Charla's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 26,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
HEY That's ME!
You didn't notice that when I posted the pic in the RR?
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #60
Chadx OP
Off the road again..
 
Chadx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Oddometer: 2,165
Just got back from the maiden voyage and hear are some observations.

First, I like this setup!

The mirrors don't vibrate until 70mph or more and even then, you can still easily make out a car or bike behind you. That is with a fairly smooth 250 thumper with little to no perceivable vibration in the handlebars. At 60mph, they were tack sharp.

The right mirror can fold out and be adjusted to an ideal position. The left mirror I will have to tweak to get right. That may mean rotating the entire hand guard some more to allow the mirror to give me the angle I like or running the mirror more vertically, like ejtv, to allow for vertical adjustment. It was still less than 20 degrees when I left, so I didn't want to twist on the plastic too much and wasn't up to standing in the garage, after I returned, to play with it.

As Charla already mentioned, the convex mirror perspective will take some getting used to. Vehicles are about 1/2 as far behind you as they look. One car took me by surprise when I was keeping an eye on them, in the right mirror, and they were maintaining their following distance, but then, between glances, they were suddenly along my left side and passing, so they had only been about 2 car lengths behind me and not the 4 like they looked. Once I got in the mental mode of dividing the apparent distance in half, all was well. The mirrors definitely give a nice wide angle of view so there is less chance of something being out of your field of view. Note: If my left mirror had been adjusted correctly, I would have spotted the passing car easier, so my bad.

With the current tension, the mirrors held their position up until around 70 - 75mph at which point the wind drag folded them in a tiny bit. Easy to adjust the hinge to have a bit more tension if needed, but they stayed put for the rest of the 2.5 hours I was out since most of that was 65 mph or slower.

I noted that my heated gloves were bulky enough that I would occasionally catch the edge of the handguard. Probably less to do with the glove bulk than with my not being accustomed to handguards wrapping around the end of the handelbards. I should grow accustomed to that in short order.

So besides a couple mirror positioning tweaks, all is well. I'm ready to order up the next batch of winter time farkles.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014