Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #1636
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
The GS "Adventure"

I am here to tell you, the sand was not like that when we scouted the ride

Of course this became our mantra for the day

Our day started on the Base at Camp Blanding with the Rally contingent.

We met up with those joining us outside the Rally and had a party of about 2 dozen

Conditions in the first few miles seemed perfect

All sorts of bikes, little ones, big ones, a duck with street tires , and even a girl

The weather was perfect

A quick picture of the duc

The Rally had tons of rides going on today, but none going where we were headed

Things were going well

Mike resting his leg

Wolfgang giving the "I am OK" sign

Then we had some excitement,well some sand...

Our KLR representative had a good tank slapper going on and then just disappeared. I was busy helping a DR650 up from the sand and didn't even know the KLR fell over.

Out of the creek ( I didn't even know there was a creek down there) is the KLR driver, having just climbed out the other side. This is when I noticed him.

You saw the bike in that picture didn't you?

Here, I will zoom in for you

This was an all hands on deck call. Mike went ahead to catch the front group as we were going to need eveybody.

The first task was to get a strap down to the bike

OK guys start pulling

Heave!!!

its coming

She's up

Not too bad, just a little tweek here and there

All is well, everyone get back to the fun...this is a picture looking up towards the creek off to the right of the group. I didn't even see it, then you almost fall in..

So the KLR starts right up and we are back at it. The rider jumped for the creek, so other than soaked he was good too.

Next challenge the great mud hole, I guess they wanted a good shot of me falling in again

That went well and so to our next hurdle

Well it came with some more excitement. we needed to cross a bridge and jump a log

Only someone towards the back fell on the bridge, The (girl ) caught her tire on the boards running where the car tires are supposed to go, fell and promptly sailed off the bridge into the next creek.

Our KLR hero was, getting good at these creek, jump down to help her out. I asked for her to wait for a picture so all could see she was OK.

Actually that is Kaoswife, so that why I kid around..she was doing great through all the sand and then let this little bridge throw her off, but she was ready for more

Everybody nailed the log challenge. Here is the KLR cleaning it

Dr Z, stylin

Even the duc was having fun

So we continue on

More to come...

kaosrider screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 07:00 PM
Old 01-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #1637
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Adventure continues

We started to cook a little faster now, lunch was approaching

A little dust, a little paved, a little dust...

Nice areas of Florida

Did I mention the weather was perfect?

They can smell the food now

And we make it finally to lunch, it is 1:30 now..just to give you an idea of the easy morning

The easy part of the ride is over, now we head to Ocala National Forest.

We warm up with some fast roads

Did I mention it was dusty in the back

We turn into the woods

We break out into the prairie

Wolfgang on the "URINATOR" gets stuck..

And with a little help

Time for a break

The sun is moving into late afternoon

We make it to the ferry where Wolfgang and Fred head off across the water

Now we move back north in earnest

Bill is putting a close to another great ride

But wait.. the drama is not over

One of the Honda's runs out of gas. No problem, I have my new Harbor Freight syphon....

Well after a half hour of this..

and this

The group decides to have me go hunt for oil with my "new" hose..and Mike just takes off the gas line and fills up a water bottle and prestow..back in business.

So darkness desends and and Adventure comes to an end. Hope everyone can make it next year.

Cheers, Bill, a great time had by all
Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #1638
mr_guns
Look Mom no hands!

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosrider View Post
i have my new harbor freight syphon....

fail!
06 DRZ-400S
08 Piaggio MP3
Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #1639
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 542
And that weren't all either, not everything made the photos. One of the guys from the rally on a GS crashed twice on the first dirt road in the first 15 minutes. We sent him home at the first sign of pavement.

Then there was this guy, Eloy. I had a feeling there was some pent up energy with him ridin near the back all morning, he and Billy had been helping the sweeps with whatever problems arose (btw it didn't go unnoticed Billy was the only other guy down in that creek with the KLR owner and he was the only other guy trying to pressurize Mike's gas tank, two of the worst jobs all day). Anyway I motioned him to go ahead when we got to the sandy part at Hopkins Prairie. He had about an eight foot roost going and was off the bike smoking a cig when we finally caught up to him. I was right. Then late in the day I took a wrong turn in the woods onto an increasingly overgrown trail. We come to a sizable tree across the trail a couple feet off the ground and while I'm contemplating the situation Eloy rams the tree wfo breaks it in half and we follow. Then there are more trees and less trail but he keeps busting thru or jumping over them. It kept getting worse and finally we had to turn around. If you ever need a trail cleared though, Dr.Z's your man.

And last but not least, we were wicking it up on some twisty woodsy twotrack and Casey, one of the XR guys misses a turn and ends up well out in the bushes, but no harm done. I guess all's well that ends well, or something like that.

Anyway, thanks again all you guys, it was one to remember.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350

waybill screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 10:34 PM
Old 01-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #1640
slimy
Wanabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Wow!! Looks like you had a great ride and a good turnout. Sorry I missed it. I want to go riding with Dr. Z.
Thanks Waybill for putting it together.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #1641
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy View Post
Wow!! Looks like you had a great ride and a good turnout. Sorry I missed it. I want to go riding with Dr. Z.
Thanks Waybill for putting it together.
The good DR. will be here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848162
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post
Never underestimate the cheapness of a KLRista. We're like the Jedi Knights of frugality. Or something like that.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 AM   #1642
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Thanks for another great ride Bill!! I am glad I bailed after lunch!! If the morning was easy, , I can't imagine what the afternoon was like!!!

Thanks for all the pics Rich!!! Good job catching all the good stuff!!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #1643
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,421
Laugh More pics

Finally made it on a ride with the CADS!

I spoke with Rich on Friday and confirmed the meeting spot at Penney Farms. Only 170 miles away!

Planned to leave the house with FIL (Billy) @ 5:30am on Saturday to make the trek.

I go out to the garage and find out that Billy had been there since 4:15am! WTF.

He forgot to set his alarm to Daylight Savings Time so he woke up at 3:45am (he thought it was 4:45am) to be at my house at 5:15am. Must be nice to be retired and not have to worry about time I reckon.

Set out to the spot and got there a few minutes before the crowd showed up. Quite a mix of bikes...

I figured I'd hang out with the sweep crowd to "help" out if needed. So we take off on the ride...

About a mile into the ride, I saw a d00d on a GS take a sharp right turn to go up an embankment. I figured this was the route. Well, not really. The sand claimed a victim...

D00d shakes it off and we take off to catch up with the rest of the group. At the paved intersection, he decides to head back to the rally at Camp Blanding. We regroup and get set to continue but... Andy's DR doesn't want to start. Ever try to push start a DR650 with knobbies? Well, it doesn't work so good if you can't push it fast enough. So we conjure up Plan B... pull it with a big bike and a strap. It started right up and never had an issue the rest of the ride! The DR's battery must be allergic to cold temps.

Had to take a pic of Wolfgang's sweet looking hack...

After a short jaunt down a dirt road, we arrive at the entrance to Bellmore State Forest. Very cool place! Lots of trails in the area. I'll have to check it out again sometime.

After a few miles, we come up on some deep sand and yes, another victim...

No worries though. The rider was OK. About 15 feet in front of him, I see a rider fighting his way out of some thick brush. I figured he was taking a pee break and got tangled up in the brush. Some more riders huddle around...

I wondered WTF was going on. See for yourself...

Yup, there's a bike in there somewhere. Apparently, a fight between the sand and a KLR ensued and it wound up in a canal. Rider was OK and a KLR rescue mission was put into action...

Next obstacle was a deep mud hole. Glad to report no casualties...

Up ahead a few miles was the famous bridge crossing I've seen numerous times on this thread!

I come up to the bridge and...

No riders were hurt during those falls. The bikes only suffered minor injuries.

More ride pics...

What was left of shrimp & scallops at the Golden Skillet...

After lunch, there was a considerably smaller crowd. We headed out to ONF and rode through Hopkins Prairie...

Short break at Salt Springs before going to check out the ferry...

On our way towards the ferry...

End of the road...

A couple of more riders decided to take the ferry across. About 6 of us were left at that point so Bill led us to some more trails that I've never ridden before in ONF. I was too busy enjoying the ride to take pics on this leg.

After we reached the pavement on SR19 again, it was getting late so we decided it might be a good idea to start heading back to Penney Farms.

Before we get there though, one of the XRLs ran out of gas.

No problem though, Rich came to the rescue with a genuine ChinaFright (don't worry Rich, I buy a lot of ChinaFright stuff too) siphon hose. I don't think the directions that came with the siphon hose said that you had to pressurize the tank in order for the fuel to flow.

We tried for several minutes to get it to work but to no avail. The tried and true method of removing the fuel line and pouring gas in an empty water bottle got the job done!

That's all I have. There's some more pics here. I had a great time riding with the CADS and that was an excellent route you guys laid out. Looking forward to another ride with you guys soon.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Old 01-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #1644
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Great pics and write up Eloy!!! Was good to meet the famous Dr. Z!!! Might see ya Saturday, we are toying with doin a Keys run instead of Everglades City.......

oh and my 'off'' was because of the distraction of the KLRs fight with the sand and disappearance into the brush!! Thats my story and I am sticking to it!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #1645
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
Was good to meet the chucklehead Dr. Z!!! Might see ya Saturday, we are toying with doin a Keys run instead of Everglades City.......
Fix't it for you Andy!

Hopefully you'll come out to the Seafood Depot on Saturday. There will be a few Wankers there with their wives. The stone crabs at that place are not to be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider
oh and my 'off'' was because of the distraction of the KLRs fight with the sand and disappearance into the brush!! Thats my story and I am sticking to it!!!!!!!!!

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Old 01-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #1646
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
Fix't it for you Andy!

Hopefully you'll come out to the Seafood Depot on Saturday. There will be a few Wankers there with their wives. The stone crabs at that place are not to be missed.
oh we know......we have eaten there many times!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #1647
twthinking OP
Shut up and ride

Oddometer: 329
CADS

Meeting tonight!

At 7:00PM

If you survived the GS ride then

come and tell your tale

At Hurricane Grill and Wings

located at 12795 San Jose Blvd. Suite 16 in Jacksonville.

The phone number to the restaurant

is 904-260-8338.

Here is a link to their web site; http://www.hurricanewings.com/.

And here is a link to a map of the location of the restaurant we will be meeting at;

http://goo.gl/maps/4iq6r

There are several locations of

Hurricane Grill and Wings

so please read the address and look at the map for the location that we are going to meet at.

See you there…
Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #1648
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 542
Nice report Eloy. It's always good to get some perspective from the back part of the group, we miss a lot of the action near the front. Enjoyed riding with you and Billy, and thanks to you both for helping out. We'll have to do it again one day.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
Old 01-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #1649
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybill View Post
Nice report Eloy. It's always good to get some perspective from the back part of the group, we miss a lot of the action near the front. Enjoyed riding with you and Billy, and thanks to you both for helping out. We'll have to do it again one day.

Yes sir, it was fun. Thanks for leading the ride.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #1650
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 417
It was a fun day! Since y'all posted pretty much the same pics as I took, I'll post the video. I'm not finished uploading them all but I'll post what I have and when the others are finished, I'll post those.

Oh poo... How do you embed the video?

woodsatyr screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 04:33 PM
Closed Thread