Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 PM   #76
twthinking OP
Shut up and ride

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWheels
This was one of the sweetest rides I've ever had, but from what I'd been lead to believe about Florida rides, I sure didn't think that the sugar sand was as much of a concern as I'd imagined. I believe yesterday's rain must have been holding those little grains together for this North Georgia visitor. There were definately times during the ride that I yearned for the sheer power of my DR 650, alternating with gratitude for the lightness of the XT 225. Feminine pride precludes me making anybody wait for me at start ups as well as on the road: I don't want to be "the chick in the group." Any group. Thank goodness I was able, finally, to accept an oft-given invitation to a CADS ride of this caliber and find that they excelled at the difficult balance between treating me like a female and a rider at the same time.

Special thanks go to Wolfgang, the most spirited, competent, and entertaining riding partner I've ever had. YZ2KLR for his encouragement and expertise through the sand despite his street tires, Mr. Bill for his outstanding leadership and knowledge of the area's fine dirt roads, the tall gentleman on the red KLR (another first time CADS rider) who made me feel very welcome and provided quite a few good lines to follow through some of the more technical bits, the Anthony Hopkins look alike with his sand blistering KTM 9?? who's mud is still on the front of my jacket, and for Dean, who's thankless picture taking will be entertaining us on this site for days (a thinly disguised plea for posting at least one picture of myself riding with a great group of guys today).

Here's hoping that I see most of you again soon when you come up to my end of the world to ride - free camping for CADS in the paddocks, barn, or near the stream, in the middle of world class mountain riding.
It was a pleasure to have you join us on our ride today. You can join us again anytime, I don’t care what that mean old Wolfgang says about you. He just didn’t want me to bring any beads. But seriously you don’t have to worry about that “chick in the group” thing. You held your own quite nicely. Every time that I rode around you, you were doing very well, better than some of the guys, but as a male I can’t admit that in public. Oops is that in writing? Anyway you may be female but you are a rider as well! As for that “thinly disguised plea for posting at least one picture” I’ll do you a few better and up you a video to boot! I really hope that you do come back and join us again. Next time though you can leave Wolfgang behind. Just kidding Wolfgang, you know a ride just wouldn’t be the same without you. Thanks for your kind words, hope to see you again soon.
Dean

I'm uploading the videos so keep looking for a link to the video that you're in. I'll post it as soon as it's ready.
Dean

twthinking screwed with this post 01-31-2010 at 11:52 PM
Old 02-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #77
twthinking OP
Shut up and ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by twthinking
I'm uploading the videos so keep looking for a link to the video that you're in. I'll post it as soon as it's ready.
Dean
Here is the link for the part of the ride that I was riding for a while behind you. You were doing great!
Dean
http://twthinking.smugmug.com/CADS-R...78349869_3wRVs

twthinking screwed with this post 02-01-2010 at 07:55 AM
Old 02-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #78
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Great pictures and video Dean.. Phil looked like he has his hands full in some of that sand

That looks like some nice new stomping grounds.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #79
VTWINtoxicated
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosrider
Great pictures and video Dean.. Phil looked like he has his hands full in some of that sand

That looks like some nice new stomping grounds.
Kaos... You don't know the half of it. I almost busted more times than I can remember. Seeing this video really emphasises the need to discipline myself to keep my damn feet on the pegs. This GS is my first dirt bike - what I mean to say is it's the first bike I've ridden off road - period. So everything is an adventure for me. I did ride a dirt bike some as a kid, but that doesn't help me much. I also used to mountain bike pretty seriously, $4000 bike and all. The mountain bike experience is really helping me until I put the kick stand up.

I can't believe how cool the GS is. I absolutely love the bike. However, I will be purchasing something a little easier to take off road. That way I'm not beating the GS too much.

I've enjoyed the rides and the people on them. Everyone is always helpful, supportive and positive in advising me anytime it looks like I may need some help. I remember the first ride I went on with these guys, they really helped me out. I felt like a moron, but I didn't care, I want what they have. That experience and skill off road. The only way I'm going to get it is to help Dean produce more "almost busted" videos until I learn.

You know, when you really take a good honest look at yourself, with the ego and the over confidence put aside, you can really identify where you need improvement. I can see I have allot to learn and I'm enjoying the process.

It really takes me back to June of 2002. I had just purchased my very first true sport bike, an '02 Honda RC51 (Dean will tell you I should have got the Gixer) and rode it every night until I got the 300 mile service interval completed. Then I loaded it with soft luggage and rode it with 4 friends (they were on their own bike of course) to the Honda Hoot in Ashville. I put 2800 miles on that RC in 5 days. I won't tell you how much my backside hurt, but it was hell getting home. I'll never forget - we went through Deals Gap on the way up. While I'm riding the Gap on my brand new RC51, felling like the baddest Moe Foe on the planet, a guy passes me, in the corner, riding an ST1100 with a chick on the back. Man, all of a sudden my feet couldn't touch the pegs, I was just a small man hanging on to the tank bag. My ego shrunk so much that I felt like an idiot for thinking I could really ride. In that brief moment, that rider changed my life (motor cycle life anyway). He made me look at myself in an honest way, with out my ego and over confidence clouding my self image, I was able to set new goals to truly be a good rider.

So I've come full circle. I'm reliving that experience every time I ride with the group - every time I try to get better - every time Wolfman seems to go faster - and every time I laugh in my helmat at how much fun it all is.

See you next time...
'78 GL1000
Old 02-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #80
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTWINtoxicated
I'll never forget - we went through Deals Gap on the way up. While I'm riding the Gap on my brand new RC51, felling like the baddest Moe Foe on the planet, a guy passes me, in the corner, riding an ST1100 with a chick on the back. Man, all of a sudden my feet couldn't touch the pegs, I was just a small man hanging on to the tank bag. My ego shrunk so much that I felt like an idiot for thinking I could really ride. In that brief moment, that rider changed my life (motor cycle life anyway). He made me look at myself in an honest way, with out my ego and over confidence clouding my self image, I was able to set new goals to truly be a good rider.
Well said.

It doesn't matter how good a rider you think you are, there's always somebody that will humble you with their skills whether its on the dirt or on the tarmac. The most important thing to remember is to ride your own ride and try not to get hurt. BTW, there's no substitute for peg time. The more you have, the better your skills will be.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Old 02-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #81
ElJorgio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
some adv hospitality

ladies and gents,
time to show an adv rider some of that good old North Florida hospitality,
Joon, a Korean (from The BAM Road report notoriety)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...533442&page=64

will be arriving in Jacksonville on Wednesday, i just received an email from him. He wrote me the following,

Hello Jorge,

This is Joon. My bike is at Jax now and I will fly to JAX the day after tomorrow.
By the way, I need to order and get wolfman luggages, side rack, and some other things to carry on my riding. I'd like to get your address where parcels should be posted so that I can take them when I arrive in Jacksonville from you. Or if you know bike shop where I could buy such things, you can tell me.

On the other hand, I got some advices from US motorists that GEICO is the best option for me to purchase bike insurance. But as you know, it is very difficult for me to get it because I am a foreigner and they ask my US license number, SSN, and so on. In fact I just need short time(temporary) bike insurance.

If you don't mind, would you give me a hand, Jorge? Well, I don't want you feel uncompotable. No worris.
Wish to meet you under the FL's sunshine.

I offered my services to Joon and i am more than willing to help him but was thinking some of you would be willing to help as well since you all live in the Jacksonville area.

Let me know what you guys think
Old 02-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #82
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJorgio
ladies and gents,
time to show an adv rider some of that good old North Florida hospitality,
Joon, a Korean (from The BAM Road report notoriety)

There will be a few of us FFs in Osceola NF arriving Thursday for BQF. Tell him to swing by the camp, & share a few stories/brews with us.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #83
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z
There will be a few of us FFs in Osceola NF arriving Thursday for BQF. Tell him to swing by the camp, & share a few stories/brews with us.
Lost in Translation (ie: translate 'Jenkem')

Come to BQF Joon!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #84
originalsundog
OriginalSundog

Oddometer: 3
Thumb Thanks for the vids

Quote:
Originally Posted by twthinking
Here is the link for the part of the ride that I was riding for a while behind you. You were doing great!
Dean
http://twthinking.smugmug.com/CADS-R...78349869_3wRVs
Thanks of the video that is some good footage. I need to figure out how to make you a tiny windshield wiper for the next ride, because I know you won't keep the camera out of splash range. Keep one In the air and the other slinging sand, Jeremy
Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #85
Gvilleracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Could anyone get me the GPS (.gpx) route for the first ride I went on with this group? The one to the Yearling in Cross Creek.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #86
twthinking OP
Shut up and ride

Hello CADS riders,
We had another fine ride on Sunday, with 11 members and guests braving the cold to enjoy a ride on the back roads and trails of our corner of North Florida. We started at our usual Orangedale location and Bill lead us on some 135 miles or so of paved, dirt, muddy, wet and dry roads and trails. Despite the cold and overcast weather the group enjoyed the adventure of another CADS DS ride. Ive been waiting on a new battery for my helmet mountable video camera, which arrived last week. After mounting the camera on my helmet it was ready for its first DS ride test. Im happy to say that the videos turned out reasonably good. Aside from wind noise and water/mud spray on the camera lens the videos give a good idea of how the ride went. You can see them (and all of the photos from the ride) and judge for your self at our smugmug.com picture-posting site. Follow this link http://twthinking.smugmug.com/CADS-R...78201457_hsf6p to get there. Well try to have video on all of our future rides so everybody can get a chance at their 15 minutes of fame. Enjoy the pictures and videos and check back for more videos as Im still uploading some more of the video segments. Turn down the volume on your computer while watching the videos because the wind noise is loud and annoying.

Well have our regular Wednesday night meeting at the usual place at the usual time. Come out and tell us what you think about the videos. Hope to see you there.
Dean

twthinking screwed with this post 02-01-2010 at 10:16 PM
Old 02-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #87
Gvilleracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Haha, see your up late too, were you set up to GPS record that trip to Cross Creek?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #88
twthinking OP
Shut up and ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvilleracer
Could anyone get me the GPS (.gpx) route for the first ride I went on with this group? The one to the Yearling in Cross Creek.
Sorry we didnt start saving the GPS route of our rides until our ride on Saturday the 23rd of January. Maybe someone on the ride saved their route and can send it to you. Unfortunately I/we cant help you for that route.
Dean
Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #89
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,322
so what's next

Well there is another pretty fair ride & again pretty fair pix of some old grey hairs dirtying up some old scoots.

Jane said, she would like to hostess us at her place...free camping & your own out house. Just bring your own sears book.

Well done Bill....your leadership some how keeps all of us smiling, rutt after rutt, puddle after puddle & mile after mile.

Dean, the man w/ the camera.....you seem to capture everyone everywhere & your posting skills should be taught. Good job.

So where to now........
Old 02-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #90
next40
What?

Oddometer: 18
Had a great time riding Sunday, never knew there was so much dirt to ride around Jax. Thanks for the work that goes into organizing such a ride. You guys have it figured out, from the leader to the safty sweeep, right down to video documentation. Look forward to the next ride. Oh, and sorry for the roost Jane, feel free to return fire on the next ride! I like it!
Closed Thread