Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 459
Viva Las Vegas - Solo Adventure Motor Cycle Ride on my BMW R1200 GSA from Seattle

"The shortest distance between two points is boring" ~Unknown

Okay, here is the scenario...
It's the week of my Birthday. I have to attend a work conference in Las Vegas. I formulate a plan in my mind. Yes, I think I can fit in business and pleasure. Why fly, when you can ride?

The plan is to ride over 1200 miles from Seattle to Nevada over the course of 3 days through some remote high desert country. Along the way, I passed through freezing rain (31 degrees F), snow, severe winds and scrotching 100+ degrees F desert heat. The mountains were beautiful, laden with recent snow. Along the way I camped and froze during the night in subfreezing temperatures. I also took a few side trips down some dirt roads and make some amazing discoveries in the desert. The return trip will be a different route.

If that doesn't work, try this link:
http://rubikonadventures.blogspot.com/

Return trip report coming soon.

Some pics to whet your apetite.

RR: Bella Coola 2013 / Bella Coola Canada 2012
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,231
Great pics and ride! Thanks for the link to more
Old 04-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Thumb

I think you got the very same camp spot I had at Cave Lk in 2010 where I met ThatGuy down from Alaska when our paths happened to cross.

A whole lot of familar looking pics in your ride report. Good on you for getting down there. I had the same wind problems in some parts of that state too.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Part 2: The Ride Home from Las Vegas - Solo MotorCycle Journey on my BMW R1200 GSA

Part 2 of my trip...

The ride back to Seattle from Las Vegas.

Thursday, after lunch, my work was complete and I left for home. Most folks were flying back home that day. Not me. I had flight plans of my own. My route was to take me up north on Hwy 95 toward Tonopah, Nevada. About 35 miles south of Tonopah, I took a lonely road north of Death Valley National Park (Hwy 266) through ghost towns and over to Big Pine, California. From there I would aim my bike north along Hwy 395 and ride along edge of the Sierra mountain range. I would travel through the beautiful town of Bishop and continue north up to Reno. I then cut over to Susanville in northern California and headed over hwy 139 to Klamath Falls where I saw abandoned homesteads, wild burros and long horn cattle in the road. My journey continued north up Hwy 97 to Redmond, Oregon, passing Crater Lake National Park, numerous volcanic cones , lava beds, etc... I met up with my little brother, who happened to be vacationing at Smith Rock State park. From there, I headed over to Biggs Oregon, crossing the Columbia River and over to Yakima. From there I made my way home through familiar roads along the Yakima river and up over Snoqualmie pass where the sun failed to shine on the last part of my trip. Ahhh, the Seattle grey.... it felt good to be home. The trip was an adventure and the devil is in the details. Read on for more.

http://rubikonadventures.blogspot.co...egas-solo.html

Some more pics to whet your apetite.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243Win View Post
I think you got the very same camp spot I had at Cave Lk in 2010 where I met ThatGuy down from Alaska when our paths happened to cross.

A whole lot of familar looking pics in your ride report. Good on you for getting down there. I had the same wind problems in some parts of that state too.
I just had a chance to look throught your ride reports.

YES, I did stay in the EXACT campsite at Cave Lake. That's funny. In your other trip, I see you have nearly the same photo at Stonehenge as I do. Looks to be the same time of day as well.

The wind coming home along the Sierra's was the worst ever....

Regards,
-GrizzLee
Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Only so many ways to get out of the PNW and head south I suppose. Always fun to see familar pics in other ride reports.

I almost did 395 from Tahoe south, but in a quick check I thought I saw more camping headed out across HWY 50 instead. I'll be back down that way some day soon. I suffer from the wind a lot less on the SV650 than the DR650, but I do miss running dirt when out on these trips, so I'm just going to have to get better dealing with the wind on the DR650.

Or fab a skidplate for the SV650 and some knobby tires.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is online now   Reply With Quote