Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Beater OP
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,153
Stock Centerstand vs. Reynolds (78 R100/7)

Anyone have experience with this upgrade?

I took my stock off, and put the Reynolds on and then realized that the spring mount on the Reynolds was on the other side of the stand. It seems that where the spring needs to be mounted on the frame should be on towards the rear of the bike (under the swingarm), and not where it was originally (close to the front of the oil pan).

Am I right? I can post a picture or two this evening ...

As always, thanks in advance ...
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,033
Get rid of that Reynolds NOW.
I hate my Reynolds so much. I can't change a tire with it, not to mention the stress it puts on the frame mounts when you ride off on it. It has successfully striped both of my center stand mounts and I had to get them re threaded before I powder coated. I am going back to the stock center stand.
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,567
I have a Reynolds on one and stock on the other; came that way from the PO. I haven't messed with the Reynolds much, but I do remember the springs being a bitch.

I don't exactly "ride off" the Reynolds, though, as the name suggests.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
word1
I'm working on it...

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater
Anyone have experience with this upgrade?
Yup, lots!
Except it's really not an upgrade.

I can 'help' you install it if you really want to.
The springs aren't difficult to install if you have all the parts, but not at all intuitive or even obvious (at least to me).
And you are correct: the springs point towards the rear of the machine, and connect to "C" shaped pieces which hook around the frame cross-brace under the swingarm. I always used safety-wire to mount everything related to the Reynolds stand.

But, please read up on these centerstands before making your decision; my own centerstand repair thread references several other resources.

_jay
If it breaks, Repair it.
Repeat.

word1 screwed with this post 01-26-2010 at 09:36 AM
word1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
east high
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
The /5 I just got has a Reynolds stand on it. I haven't had the bike very long at all, but it is a little concerning that both wheels still touch the ground when the stand is deployed. There's no getting a wheel off like that

Other than that, the bike seems super stable when on the stand and getting it on and off the stand is a snap.

My 2 cents.

Edit: lol I just realized my post was totally irrelevant to your question. I've been too busy chasing down my own gremlins to look at the condition of the lugs or where the spring is connected. Sorry about that.
east high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale
Get rid of that Reynolds NOW.
I hate my Reynolds so much. I can't change a tire with it, not to mention the stress it puts on the frame mounts when you ride off on it. It has successfully striped both of my center stand mounts and I had to get them re threaded before I powder coated. I am going back to the stock center stand.
I agree. When I bought my R100, it had the Renolds stand mounted. I hated the thing.
One of the purposes of a center stand is to raise the wheel so you can service the bike. The Renolds stand doesn't do that.
I bought a used factory stand, and put it on. Had to do some work, as above before I could install it.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Beater OP
Mighty Unclean

Hummm ... Interesting thoughts. Thanks for all the responses ...

I have two little people running around my house ... I like the Reynolds because it is super stable when deployed. It is ~50% wider than the stock stand ... If one of said youngun's were to get on it ... it's fine.

I understand the 'service' concern ... but if you need to service it, I have two 4"x4"x 3/4" that I can put under it. That's enough to get either wheel in the air ... but yes, it is more baggage.

The stress created can't be more than the stock stand. The stock stand supports the ENTIRE bike ... the Reynolds just a portion (Maybe 60% by weight?). Both stands can destroy a frame if abused ... The secret to any center stand is to ride off of it going perfectly strait. Any lean to a side, and you put a disproportionate torque on one side ... this can cause stripping, twisting, and severe damage to it ... my right hand side has a nasty bend to it ... PO I guess ... don't think it's been me.

Jay - thanks for that info ... hadn't seen many of those options. It does look like I'm going to be taking it off though ... It appears I greased the wrong portion

I mentioned I was a nOOb ... right?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
My complaint with the Renolds stand wasn't because of the wear on the mounting points, although I did find that problem when I took it off.
However, it's not the fact that the stand is supporting the bike, but that if you "ride off" on the Renolds stand, you're adding considerably more stress to the moving parts as the stand is folded up than if you shift the bike off the stand while dismounted.

Quote:
Hummm ... Interesting thoughts. Thanks for all the responses ...

I have two little people running around my house ... I like the Reynolds because it is super stable when deployed. It is ~50% wider than the stock stand ... If one of said youngun's were to get on it ... it's fine.

I understand the 'service' concern ... but if you need to service it, I have two 4"x4"x 3/4" that I can put under it. That's enough to get either wheel in the air ... but yes, it is more baggage.

The stress created can't be more than the stock stand. The stock stand supports the ENTIRE bike ... the Reynolds just a portion (Maybe 60% by weight?). Both stands can destroy a frame if abused ... The secret to any center stand is to ride off of it going perfectly strait. Any lean to a side, and you put a disproportionate torque on one side ... this can cause stripping, twisting, and severe damage to it ... my right hand side has a nasty bend to it ... PO I guess ... don't think it's been me.

Jay - thanks for that info ... hadn't seen many of those options. It does look like I'm going to be taking it off though ... It appears I greased the wrong portion

I mentioned I was a nOOb ... right?
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
word1
I'm working on it...

yuppers Beater, you have a point in that the machine is much more stable when on the Reynolds stand.

If you do decide to use it, I would suggest:
- not riding off it (even if the machine is pointed straight)
- don't sit on the machine when parked on the ride-off stand
- remove it periodically to inspect all the parts & grease the bushings

These habits will minimize the damage and allow you to catch problems before they turn ugly.

_jay
If it breaks, Repair it.
Repeat.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
Beater OP
Mighty Unclean

Word,

You mean I can't sit on my bike an make 'vrumm-vrumm' sounds anymore?

That sucks.

PS - Your advice is good ... that was the plan anyway ... if I can figure out how to attach the springs
Old 01-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
word1
I'm working on it...

Quote:
...if I can figure out how to attach the springs
Did you get all the pieces-parts?

I still have mine (complete and functional) on the shelf, so's we can use it for reference if needed.

There are two flat steel "C" shaped pieces that hook under the frame rail below the swing arm. These each have two small holes at either end - one for the end of the spring, and another to anchor a safetywire loop over the top of the frame rail.

There are also two smaller two smaller flat steel pieces. These slip over what looks like the spring post on the centerstand. Again, each has two holes for the same purpose as the larger "C" shaped pieces.

And FWIW, mine uses different springs than the OEM centerstand.

I've heard that a picture is worth many words - lemme know if you'd like one?

_jay
If it breaks, Repair it.
Repeat.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
IMHO at least part of the issue with the ride-off stands has been a failure to understand how the things supposed to be fitted. Properly installed, the stand lifts the bike almost not at all. The bike still sits mostly on it's suspension and the stand holds everything up.

If you look through a 70s to 80s era catalog collection, you will note that when ordering the stand, you were supposed to go out to the garage and measure the distance from the lug bolts center to the ground. Then, the dealer would make sure that you got the correct model stand, in the correct length. If you buy a used stand off of Ebay, theres no way in Hell to tell whether that stand is actually the correct leg-length for your bike or not. If it's a little short, it might work fine but if it's too long, when you "ride off" the stand is going to lift the bike and stress the mounts. It appears as if it still takes someone with some experience and a few extra stands to get an installation to work as advertised. Oh, and you need to carry a Piece of wood in your bags at all times, if you ever intend to change a flat on the road.

The Reynolds stand does have has a wide footprint but lets be realistic. I weigh 200+lbs. I just went out to the garage, where my RS is parked on the center stand, stood on the left peg and hoisted myself onto the seat. The bike was completely stable at all times. How wide does a center stand need to be?

I dunno... I've had two mint condition Reynolds stands recently and after looking at em laying on the shelf for while, I just sold em over on IBMR. I watch where I park my bike, I make sure that my centerstands are working properly and I use Brown side stands on all my Airheads. Thats enough for me!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:03 AM   #13
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
I had one on mine for numerous years and found it to be more trouble than it was worth. I stopped riding off of it when I stripped a bolt and I don't miss carrying around a 2x4, just in case. I decided I lke having the front wheel off the ground and the ability to pivot the bike. With practice you can spin the bike 180 degrees around on the stock stand.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
microdoc
microdoc

Oddometer: 20
I'm Sold - On the Original Center Stands

I've been wanting two Ride-Off stands for some time now. One for my R80/7 and the other for my Bumble Bee. After reading this thread, I'm much less inclined to modify either bike. Thanks to the arthritis that has attacked my right elbow, I often have some difficulty getting my bikes on and off their center stand. My solution has been a short piece of wood (~8-12"+/- of 2"x4" or 1"x4") positioned under one of the tires. This makes it MUCH easier to put even the fully loaded Bumble Bee on or off the center stand. Sure, it is something else to carry, but "there's no free lunch"; "you pays your money & you takes your choice". Thanks to all of you for the insights and for saving me one or two $100 bills!.
98 R1200C, 88 R100GS, 78 R80/7, 08 CRF230L
BMW MOA #89329
microdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,033
Back from the deaaaaad!
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote