ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #76
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,036
IS that a picture of the south Omaha bridge riding area?

The Nebraska Trailriders Association land is near Fairfax MO. The first year's dues are $2100 then around $100/year.

You are buying a 'share' of land. The association owns the land, 275 acres. (no leasing, using O.P.P.)

No problems with a farmer deciding to stop renting out the back 40 then you own a parking lot with nowhere to ride (example: across from NE City)

NTA members get 5 guest passes / year. Our insurance is not set up to allow part time membership. You either go as a guest with a member then buy a membership & get you own guest passes. We usually get the guest to drive down with a member then give them a tour of the place. (the guest passes are free, limit 5 a year)
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:48 AM   #77
agspecialties
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
So........let me get this straight Tlr Rdr, if i want to join, i have to pay for my first year 2100.00. Then every year after that is 100.00.

That 2100.00 is a lot of freaken money. Is there just no land to ride in your area?? Hell for 2100.00 i will take you to a different piece of land every weekend for a year.

That just sucks for you guys in the metro area. Not haveing no land to ride on....

How many members do you have??
agspecialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #78
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by agspecialties
So........let me get this straight Tlr Rdr, if i want to join, i have to pay for my first year 2100.00. Then every year after that is 100.00.

That 2100.00 is a lot of freaken money. Is there just no land to ride in your area?? Hell for 2100.00 i will take you to a different piece of land every weekend for a year.

That just sucks for you guys in the metro area. Not haveing no land to ride on....

How many members do you have??
there are 60-70 members, that means my 'share' is about 4 acres at $650/acre= $2600. When it started I paid $900 to get in + yearly dues of 250-150 until the land was paid off (couple of years ago) then about 100/yr.

The land is owned by NTA, only if the corp is dissolved would the land be sold & divided among the members.

I don't have to worry about a developer buying the land from the farmer that you leased land from, for riding on & find out your riding area just went away. Or a farmer/rancher got tired of the BS & says no more riding here, A hunting group paid me more per acre so I leased it to them

This was started around the same time MX guys were trying to find a place to ride around Lincoln area. their grandkids may have a track to ride on in a few years. In the mean time the trail riding group formed a corporation, pooled money bought land paid it off & rode on it for over 10 years.
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #79
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Oddometer: 1,140
$2100? Alright, my anus just puckered up. Hell, I could buy another KLR for tjat
Old 02-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #80
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
I don't know, personally I would get the R, but then I would still have my ST1100 as a pure street bike. Might choose differently if it was my only bike. It would be cool to have both wheelsets, but a lot of money.

I'm half thinking of a WR250R to replace all three of my dual sport/dirt bikes. I like the EFI and long valve adjust intervals.

I'd take a huge loss on the KLR, KLX, and KDX though
Yeah, I'm leaning slightly towards the X... I'd definitely get a second set of wheels, the money doesn't really matter.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:05 AM   #81
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,512
I'm glad I don't own a dirt bike! Sounds like it's really expensive to ride....$2100.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #82
agspecialties
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Hey fifth

It is only expensive if you don't have land to ride on. Other then that, it is the cheapest thing my whole family can enjoy.
I have a wife who rides both dirt and dual and a 4 year old who rides dirt and tags alone with me on dualsport.
We have around 8000 acres to ride. That is about 4 peices of land, that longest trip from my shop is 45 mins. Load bikes and family and we can spend a day riding for little of nothing.

The only expensive part for me, is keeping all the bikes going. Thank god i now how to turn my own wrentch. I can't believe how many people out there that take their bikes in for a simple oil change.
Now that gets expensive!!!!
agspecialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #83
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
You guys have to understand that you aren't just flushing that money down the toilet. You can sell your share when you want to get out of it, maybe even for more than you paid.

The way they handle the liability is by having everyone be part owner of the land. You can't sue yourself.

agspecialties, so I guess that's private land you have permission to ride on? You don't know how lucky you are.
Nebraska has to be one of the worst states in the country for off road riding.
The NTA guys had to go buy land in freakin' Missouri, what does that say about the sorry situation in this state?!!!
The only public land to ride on near Omaha is in Iowa at the River Valley Trail Riders park just over the South Omaha Bridge. It is run by Iowa DNR. For $16.50 per year Nebraska residents can buy a non-resident OHV pass that is good for any of the Iowa DNR OHV parks. Other than River Valley they are at least 2 hours away though. River Valley is right next to the Mo River so it stays wet and muddy for a LONG time after a rain and is sometimes flooded out totally. The mud is this nasty clay that rides like grease and dries like cement. The place is also all torn up by ATV's so the trails are usually two bottomless ruts.

Several private pay-to-ride places were closed last year by lawsuits - Rally Point Ridge near Dawson, NE and "The Quarry" near Union for example.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #84
MetalBender
none

Oddometer: 562
[quote=tbirdsp]
For $16.50 per year Nebraska residents can buy a non-resident OHV pass that is good for any of the Iowa DNR OHV parks. quote]

This is ONLY necessary with Off Road Vehicles. All street legal bikes that have current registration do not need to have another registration no matter what state they are from. It took 45 minutes in the court house for the gal to find this out and I asked again at the park in Bussey Iowa and at River Valley to make sure I was legal without anything more than my plate, all said I was.
MetalBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #85
Kjharn
Hrmph?

[quote=MetalBender]
Quote:
For $16.50 per year Nebraska residents can buy a non-resident OHV pass that is good for any of the Iowa DNR OHV parks. quote]

This is ONLY necessary with Off Road Vehicles. All street legal bikes that have current registration do not need to have another registration no matter what state they are from. It took 45 minutes in the court house for the gal to find this out and I asked again at the park in Bussey Iowa and at River Valley to make sure I was legal without anything more than my plate, all said I was.
Really? That's fekking sweet.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #86
tbirdsp
REMF

[QUOTE=MetalBender]
Quote:

Well, that is totally opposite of what I have heard. Since you are an IA resident (I ASSume) it may be different for you. You are paying taxes to IA to street register your bike. I've been checked several times at River Valley and the DNR guys were looking for the non-res OHV sticker.

Before the latest non-resident sticker program was started they tried to tell me I had to go to an Iowa county courthouse and get an IA OHV registration for my street legal bike plated in NE - which was ridiculous. The current program is different, and much better IMHO.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #87
tbirdsp
REMF

http://www.offroad-ed.com/ia/handbook/definitions.htm

“Off-road motorcycle” includes a motorcycle that was originally issued a certificate of title and registered for highway use under Chapter 321, but which contains design features that enable operation over natural terrain."

I read that as a dual sport, and they still need the OHV sticker for non residents.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #88
MetalBender
none

Oddometer: 562
They may have changed it since I've been then. At the time (03ish) I went to get a registration they only gave you a piece of paper, no sticker, and you had to put the numbers on your bike/atv yourself. The guy I went with used a small peice of scrap aluminum and wrote the number on it with marker back then. It does appear to read that all bikes must buy a pass now. River Valley is not worth it IMO but Bussey is very good and well worth the trip over, haven't been to Rathburn area but it looks good too.
MetalBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #89
tbirdsp
REMF

Yeah, the change definitely came after '03.
How far away are Bussey and Rathburn?
Old 02-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #90
dirtdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Cost of riding

Hey Mike, I agree with you on the $2100 initial cost, atleast you could sell it to someone else. Sounds like the NTA laid their balls on the line to begin with & did all the leg work to get this area going. So with the higher buyin they somewhat get rewarded for their hard work & if it is paid for then they are doing any new members a favor by letting them buy in. Now to the confusion on the OHV permits. It seems like there are a few states that actually have their S..T together, SD being # 1 in my book. With a Texas OFFROAD title, no insurance & a NE. only address, I was able to get a SD plate on my 07 CRF230. My 2010 renewal fee was a wopping $10.63. I did some work in Sioux Falls this spring & was passed by a Banshee & a Rino, both plated, on E. 10th street, which is a major east-west street. I guess they figure that it is better to get a little money from alot of people rather than a bunch from a selected few. To bad that more states can't get it figured out. So, to sum it up, if you are lucky enough to be invited to buy in on a private riding area, consider the hard work it takes to obtain & maintain these areas & don't just consider the initial cash layout. Bill

dirtdoc screwed with this post 02-14-2010 at 06:47 AM
dirtdoc is offline   Reply With Quote