ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #91
MetalBender
none

Oddometer: 562
170 miles from me(51639) to Bluff Creek OHV (this is an old quarry,350 ac) : http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...0&iwloc=A&sa=X

134 to Rathbun: http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid...N&hl=en&tab=wl
MetalBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #92
dirtdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Pic

Mike, I forgot to bring it up in my last rant. That pic you posted made laugh again! We have got to get together for a ride this year, maybe thinking if it works out we could ride up to SHOT 2010 & bring whoever would be interested back to our area north of Grove Lake, it would be about 30 miles from the SHOT site. It would be a good way get some more miles in. Great riding for all levels of riders & the beer tastes great there. Bill
Old 02-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #93
agspecialties
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Hey Tbird, Dirtdoc and I are starting to question our trip this week for OK. I was wondering if you can pass on some of your gps trails for North Ark.
Thinking of playing it safe and taking dual sport bikes and riding in that country.

Aaron
agspecialties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #94
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,036
It was decided about the time the property was paid for to make the new member buy-in around $2000. As not to diminish the value of current members membership. Now if a member wants to sell his membership It can be for less $ depending how fast he wants to get rid of it. (find out if there are any outstanding dues, as they have to be current, paid by the seller or buyer & final approval by the board)
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #95
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by agspecialties
Hey Tbird, Dirtdoc and I are starting to question our trip this week for OK. I was wondering if you can pass on some of your gps trails for North Ark.
Thinking of playing it safe and taking dual sport bikes and riding in that country.

Aaron
I'll send you a PM.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:10 PM   #96
tbirdsp
REMF

GPS deal

Hey, I picked up a refurb Nuvi 500 for $150 here
http://www.drivengps.com/Automotive/...56600-2-1.html

There's some more info up in the GPS forum in the Nuvi threadfest and the "Which GPS?" sticky.

Coming from a III+/V/60Cx background it's pretty foreign to me, but I have been playing with it in the cage and I think it will be good on the street bike. Doesn't do tracks though, have to convert to routes. From what I can tell it kinda operates like a stripped down Zumo (no bluetooth, etc). It has some limitations but for 150 bucks is a deal IMHO.

If anyone has questions let me know.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #97
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Oddometer: 1,140
Thanks for the heads up, Mike. I've been looking at different GPS models. I think I might save up some pennies and spring for the Zumo though. Haven't decided.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #98
agspecialties
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone want to tag along??

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551367

Let me know

Aaron
Old 02-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #99
Yossarian™ OP
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,446
Quote:
Anyone want to tag along??
Would love to but cannot. Thanks for offering, though!

Keep this sort of thing up and you are liable to get a reputation.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #100
Yossarian™ OP
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjharn
Thanks for the heads up, Mike. I've been looking at different GPS models. I think I might save up some pennies and spring for the Zumo though. Haven't decided.
Gotta say, I've been impressed with the 60Cx. The only drawback is the small screen. I love how it records such exact tracks of every rock I hit and gully in which I get stuck.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #101
tbirdsp
REMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™
Gotta say, I've been impressed with the 60Cx. The only drawback is the small screen. I love how it records such exact tracks of every rock I hit and gully in which I get stuck.
From what I have seen so far the Nuvi 500 (and Zumos) do this too, although a little different than the 60Cx. The Nuvi 500 has a 10,000 point "trip log" (same as active track log) that is saved in a .gpx file. At some point (not sure if when it fills or just a new day) it will "archive" the triplog and start a new one.

The Nuvi 500 can only take 10 routes at a time, but you can keep a TON of other routes in .gpx format on the data card and "import" them. You just need to clear out the 10 that are presently there first. They can always be imported again too.

Although it does record an accurate detailed tracklog, there is no way to upload any tracks to the unit for navigation like there is on the 60Cx. It will only take routes and waypoints ("favorites" in Nuvi/Zumo-speak).
I did find a cool free software app that will convert tracks to routes (and do some other stuff to) though, WinGDB3:
http://www.sackman.info/

The 60Cx will still be my primary GPS, especially for dual sport/dirt. This Nuvi will work good on the street bike and in the cage though.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #102
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,507
60cx works ok in the cage....and I agree with the small screen. Get a Motorola Droid. Turn by turn with Google maps Just make sure you have the insurance plan, so a new one is only $50 when you rattle it to death!

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #103
dirtdoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Abate Show

Hey Tbird, are you going to the Lincoln show this weekend? Our trip for this weekend is not realistic, not a wise choice with all the wet & snowy weather. Too wet out west to cold & wet down south, we've been there @ FCT with a designated route when it has rained & it was a challenge at a few spots. Better to be patient & wait for better riding conditions than do a panic trip with little or no planning, they never turn out well. Will make the trip to Lincoln this weekend, always a interesting event. Bill
Old 02-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #104
agspecialties
Beastly Adventurer

That is the problems doc, to much planing and beer drinking and not enough sack to ride. Best trips aren't planned. Go with the flow and see where we end up.

Planning and planning and planning, what do you get........
a picture of a cheeseburger on a plate......that is what you get.

Not this

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551219

Don't see no food picture there my friend. But one hell of a story to tell when you are drinking a cold 12 pack.

If i want to plan a trip, i would put my snot rag on and ride north west the second week of aug, if you get what i am laying down.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #105
MetalBender
none

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
i would put my snot rag on and ride north west the second week of aug, if you get what i am laying down.
Eww!

I'd love to get out of here for a bit to ride but can't get away so soon. As Trl Rdr said I've been waiting for work to be ready and calls and jobs are starting to come in again.

It has definitely been along winter it seems though, as much time as I've spent indoors this winter even riding fence in a new Duramax sounds good.
MetalBender is offline   Reply With Quote