ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #1786
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,250
New Tag

Ideally - picture of a water tower from the top deck of a parking facility.
If that's not possible within reasonable distance, than a picture of *anything* from the top deck of a parking facility. (single level facilities don't count... )

__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #1787
cakmakli
Made It - Army Retired
 
cakmakli's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 327
I love the originality of the tags. The Top of a Parking Garage with a Water Tower in the Background - now that's original. I love it.

I think I know a place but I can't check it out today.
cakmakli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #1788
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic
 
AllBlackPearl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Valais, CH
Oddometer: 728
wb57: Can you tell me some more about this monstreous, blue thing you call a water tower?
What is that exactly - never seen anything like that. Not even in the USA...


I was about to grab the music store, as well as the non-hardtop trail - they would have both been easy, but I didn't find the time today. So maybe tomorrow. I think I know a parking facility with more than one store (no big cities here..) but I will definitely not be able to grab a water tower..
__________________
Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them you are a mile away and you have their shoes.

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #1789
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
wb57: Can you tell me some more about this monstreous, blue thing you call a water tower?
What is that exactly - never seen anything like that. Not even in the USA...
Dang. I was worried about that. Municipal water storage in just about every place I've lived that wasn't on it's own well. Water is pumped from the local water source into that and then gravity fed to the water customers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_tower
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_t...ound_the_World


Oh, and apparently you've got some:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=water+t...land&src=ie9tr


Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
I was about to grab the music store, as well as the non-hardtop trail - they would have both been easy, but I didn't find the time today. So maybe tomorrow. I think I know a parking facility with more than one store (no big cities here..) but I will definitely not be able to grab a water tower..

Here's at least one parking garage (I think):
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...5&ie=UTF8&z=11
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)

wb57 screwed with this post 05-28-2011 at 10:44 AM
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #1790
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post
I love the originality of the tags. The Top of a Parking Garage with a Water Tower in the Background - now that's original. I love it.

I think I know a place but I can't check it out today.

Just noticed it as "tag worthy" riding around the other day. Seems like every time I throw out a more normal tag, I get the "that was posted 300 pages ago!!! Jeez!!!" thing.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #1791
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic
 
AllBlackPearl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Valais, CH
Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Dang. I was worried about that. Municipal water storage in just about every place I've lived that wasn't on it's own well. Water is pumped from the local water source into that and then gravity fed to the water customers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_tower
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_t...ound_the_World


Oh, and apparently you've got some:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=water+t...land&src=ie9tr
Thanks for the info!
Ok, of course I know the water towers here in Europe. There are lots of them and as you can see from the pictures 99% of them are beautiful, solid buildings, now used as museums, restauants, appartements etc.
I don't think any of them are still in use completely. Since the beginning of the last century, pump systems and mainly subterranean storages are used for water supply in most regions. I know that some of the towers still store water, though, for emergency situations etc.

I just hadn't seen any towers like the one in your tag before. Well, learned something here!




Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Here's at least one parking garage (I think):
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...5&ie=UTF8&z=11
Hehe, nice try!
However, the one you found (never been there) is more than 100km from our place.
There will be something nearer, for sure.
Thanks anyway, mate.

Just to point that out again - most tags posted here are really cool. I also like the originality a lot!
If there are things that are not typically European - that's cool! As we have just seen, one can only learn from each other. I can see Switzerland every day, so I like tags that show me something I can't find around the corner. I try to do the same if I post a tag..
__________________
Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them you are a mile away and you have their shoes.

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #1792
cakmakli
Made It - Army Retired
 
cakmakli's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Just noticed it as "tag worthy" riding around the other day. Seems like every time I throw out a more normal tag, I get the "that was posted 300 pages ago!!! Jeez!!!" thing.
It's very challenging to come up with good tags that will also include our overseas brothers. I think that is why I like this. It takes some thought. Luckily I've spent quite a bit of time overseas.
cakmakli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #1793
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer
 
eepeqez's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
wb57: Can you tell me some more about this monstreous, blue thing you call a water tower?
What is that exactly - never seen anything like that. Not even in the USA...
I've occasionally seen them in country towns in the flat volcanic plains west of Melbourne, Victoria, but in hilly Cincinnati, Ohio, they seem to be everywhere. I believe they are (usually) more about buffering water pressure than actually storing a meaningful amount of water.

There is one on the outskirts of Melbourne - it's the emergency water supply to a glass manufacturing plant so they can quench everything very quickly if things go terribly wrong.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #1794
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
Thanks for the info!
Ok, of course I know the water towers here in Europe. There are lots of them and as you can see from the pictures 99% of them are beautiful, solid buildings, now used as museums, restauants, appartements etc.
I don't think any of them are still in use completely. Since the beginning of the last century, pump systems and mainly subterranean storages are used for water supply in most regions. I know that some of the towers still store water, though, for emergency situations etc.

I just hadn't seen any towers like the one in your tag before. Well, learned something here!
I tried to find some near the town in your signature, but neither bing nor google were very helpful in that regard. I did find listings for at least 6 or 8 in Schweiz, but don't know the country without looking at a map to figure out where they were.
(always thought the CH designation was for the second and third letter since another European country used "S". Just read that it's for Confoederatio Helvetica. I learned something as well.)



Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
Hehe, nice try!
However, the one you found (never been there) is more than 100km from our place.
There will be something nearer, for sure.
Thanks anyway, mate.
The tag in the local game is about 80 miles (~130km) from me! From the satellite picture, it looked like it would be a nice ride. But, then again, that whole country looks like it would be fantastic riding.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
Just to point that out again - most tags posted here are really cool. I also like the originality a lot!
If there are things that are not typically European - that's cool! As we have just seen, one can only learn from each other. I can see Switzerland every day, so I like tags that show me something I can't find around the corner. I try to do the same if I post a tag..
Well, if I post something that's truly not present in your (or anyone's) part of the planet, feel free to ask for something different.

Fun game.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #1795
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic
 
AllBlackPearl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Valais, CH
Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
I tried to find some near the town in your signature, but neither bing nor google were very helpful in that regard. I did find listings for at least 6 or 8 in Schweiz, but don't know the country without looking at a map to figure out where they were.
(always thought the CH designation was for the second and third letter since another European country used "S". Just read that it's for Confoederatio Helvetica. I learned something as well.)
Confoederatio Helvetica - exactly. The second and third letter idea is pretty cool, though. So who's designation is "S" - without using google?

Anyway. Yep, there are some pretty famous old water towers in Switzerland, the most famous one being the one in Luzern I think. As I said, I just didn't figure that they are similar to the one you posted.. My bad.

Ah, and "Valais" is not a town, but a canton. Just as NC, if you like.




Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
The tag in the local game is about 80 miles (~130km) from me! From the satellite picture, it looked like it would be a nice ride. But, then again, that whole country looks like it would be fantastic riding.
Absolutely. The whole country (well at least big chunks of it) IS fantastic riding. If you ever come here I will show you some.

You're right, 100k is not too much - if you have the day off for riding. If I avoid the highway, which I definitely would, then it would be 3 hours at least for the whole grab..
By the time I came back I would be bruced anyway.
__________________
Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them you are a mile away and you have their shoes.


AllBlackPearl screwed with this post 05-28-2011 at 02:02 PM
AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #1796
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
Confoederatio Helvetica - exactly. The second and third letter idea is pretty cool, though. So who's designation is "S" - without using google?
Always assumed it was Sweden. But now I have to go check...
They've got water towers too, and at least one seriously cool one:
http://www.doobybrain.com/2009/01/27...wer-in-sweden/



Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
Absolutely. The whole country (well at least big chunks of it) IS fantastic riding. If you ever come here I will show you some.
I'd love to do a tour of Europe one day. Right now, it's difficult to get more than an hour or so away from home...


Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
You're right, 100k is not too much - if you have the day off for riding. If I avoid the highway, which I definitely would, then it would be 3 hours at least for the whole grab..
By the time I came back I would be bruced anyway.
Yeah, but you'd still get to ride in Switzerland.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #1797
cakmakli
Made It - Army Retired
 
cakmakli's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post

You're right, 100k is not too much - if you have the day off for riding. If I avoid the highway, which I definitely would, then it would be 3 hours at least for the whole grab..
By the time I came back I would be bruced anyway.
On them long Tag Runs you've got to post on the road.

Here is my mobile Tag Kit

cakmakli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #1798
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post
On them long Tag Runs you've got to post on the road.
Here is my mobile Tag Kit
I've thought about toting the laptop along as my phone is woefully inadequate for doing it alone. I'd still have to find someone providing WiFi as I can't justify a standalone card/service for the Tag games.


Yet.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #1799
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic
 
AllBlackPearl's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Valais, CH
Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
I'd still have to find someone providing WiFi as I can't justify a standalone card/service for the Tag games.
Same here. Those things are really expensive.

And BTW - I don't have any kind of smartphone and I hardly use my mobile at all. Only for very short calls or SMS in cases of emergency.
Also no GPS, I use real maps - those made of paper.
And yes, my bike still has carburators!

G'night!
__________________
Before you judge someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them you are a mile away and you have their shoes.

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #1800
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 6,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
Same here. Those things are really expensive.

And BTW - I don't have any kind of smartphone and I hardly use my mobile at all. Only for very short calls or SMS in cases of emergency.
Also no GPS, I use real maps - those made of paper.
And yes, my bike still has carburators!

G'night!
I check the map online before heading out. Couple times, I've written directions on the back of an envelope, but that's about it.

CarburatorS? As in more than one? Wow.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014