Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #2551
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,731
Well, that's a different type of "grit".

Hominy is sort of like corn. Sort of. Grits are ground up hominy eaten at breakfast - mainly in the US south. With a consistency something like cream of wheat - which probably has a different name there...

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #2552
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
but I want to see more trees in bloom!
Good tag!
+1! We have nothing like that tree around here even in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Well, that's a different type of "grit".

Hominy is sort of like corn. Sort of. Grits are ground up hominy eaten at breakfast - mainly in the US south. With a consistency something like cream of wheat - which probably has a different name there...
A little more of a grainy texture than Cream of Wheat. Damn, Now I want some grits!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #2553
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
+1! We have nothing like that tree around here even in the summer.

A little more of a grainy texture than Cream of Wheat. Damn, Now I want some grits!
With cheese and bacon.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #2554
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
Here's a closeup of the flowers:

When I first saw this I thought this was the fish-poison tree...but thanks to your reference link inclusion I was set straight. Cool tree. I want one in my yard. May have to experiment.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #2555
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,734
The best Pohutukawa i could find.It is not the most impressive specimen around here but it has the most blooms at this time.

bd 002
Old 12-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #2556
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
I have an idea for a Christmas morning tag where the time zone difference would allow (almost) everyone else plenty of time to plan their grab... (so do check Christmas eve in case I manage to get the tag at the right time...)
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:20 AM   #2557
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

damn, was walking out the door to get the next tag when i had an uneasy feeling it had been done before.....and it has recently......
Plan b

it will be a easy tag to get but there is a twist....tag will be posted early(ish) NZDT =greenwich +13
Old 12-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #2558
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

bugger another plan fails
Old 12-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #2559
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

ok the new tag is......
a self portrait

and now the catch

i want 10 of em...i want to meet my fellow global taggers...perhaps i shoulda said sans helmet.And now indulge me.I am intruiged by eepeqez tag idea so if you guys dont mind the tag defaults to him at the time of his choosig meantime post up your SELF portraits....
this is xmas in the southern Hemisphere,beautiful day today(except for those poor buggers i Christchurch)
BTW Happy xmas and holidays you FF's
Old 12-24-2011, 04:41 AM   #2560
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
ok the new tag is......
a self portrait

and now the catch

i want 10 of em...i want to meet my fellow global taggers...perhaps i shoulda said sans helmet.And now indulge me.I am intruiged by eepeqez tag idea so if you guys dont mind the tag defaults to him at the time of his choosig meantime post up your SELF portraits....
this is xmas in the southern Hemisphere,beautiful day today(except for those poor buggers i Christchurch)
BTW Happy xmas and holidays you FF's

They say that the ancient Egyptians living beside the Nile had no words for North or South, just downstream and upstream. The idea that downstream needed to be called "North" was just daft; where else was the river going to go?

I grew up by the sea and have lived within 12 km of the sea, and usually much closer than that, for all but about a year since I was 5 years old. When I try to think of a new tag, very often I end up next to the sea.

I didn't really realise how much having an edge to my world permeated my thinking until I went to Cincinnati. There was no sea. I could go in any direction for hours and not reach the edge. It was almost as strange as the sun being South. The sun is meant to rise on the right, pass in front of you and set on the left as you face north North!

It was all unnatural; mankind should live near the sea. The world must have edges! The sun must be to the North!

Weirdly the Ohio river sort of felt like the sea; I would drive south down the Columbia Parkway (as driven by Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman in their father's old convertible in Rainman) where it turns parallel to the Ohio river and it felt like one of the roads along the Pacific coast on the North side of Sydney.

Except that where the ocean should be, there were trees and water towers and Kentucky. And bridges you could cross to get there.

So I felt much better when I saw Lake Erie just North of Toledo, and it was really great to stand on the beach at Toronto and look out over Lake Ontario. Sure, I knew Niagara was just 50km away, but at least you couldn't actually see it. Pity the breaking waves didn't foam right like seawater.

So here I am, at the edge:

If anyone else here sails, that's a Laser dinghy on the left.

But then I realised,beaches are special if you haven't always lived near one.
Christmas on the beach is quintessentially Australian (even if I hate the sand and would rather be out sailing).

So here is Christmas Eve on the beach:

What you can't see here is the European backpackers who just parked their campervan where I wanted to put my tripod; the camera is almost up against their van.

But wait there's more! A short distance down the road I found:

Gelati!
(The sea is to the right, just out of view)

But "wait", I hear you say, "that's not really christmas eve! It's just all wrong!"

Between the ages of 4 and 11 my family alternated between summer Christmas in Australia in even years and winter Christmas in England in odd years. Neither seems weird to me, though my English mother still mutters about it not being right in summer, while my Kiwi father just smiles.

Winter without Christmas may seem odd, but summer is definitely a better time of year for it.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:46 AM   #2561
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Keep the self portraits coming; there will be a new tag on Christmas morning which should be done on Christmas morning, hence the importance of time zones. It should be up by 1am GMT, 8pm Cincinnati time, and you can work out your own time zone from there...
Old 12-24-2011, 05:09 AM   #2562
greasyboy
cur·mudg·eon

Oddometer: 1,765
I will try and get the KTM started for a christmas run!!!

Mrs. Greasy sayin hi

greasyboy screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 02:48 PM
greasyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #2563
greasyboy
cur·mudg·eon

Oddometer: 1,765
Its too freakin cold, nuthin will start
Here ya go....Merry Christmas from the Greasy Family !!!

Dogs would not sit still
greasyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #2564
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
I grew up by the sea and have lived within 12 km of the sea, and usually much closer than that, for all but about a year since I was 5 years old. When I try to think of a new tag, very often I end up next to the sea.

I didn't really realise how much having an edge to my world permeated my thinking until...

It was all unnatural; mankind should live near the sea. The world must have edges! The sun must be to the North!

But then I realised,beaches are special if you haven't always lived near one...
I grew up near the beach. About 6 miles from from the ocean in cold Stratham New Hampshire, my home sitting about a stones throw from the estuaries of Great Bay.

My parents still live in Portland Maine, their house sitting with a view of the water, and I was up there during the Thanksgiving snow storm this year. Growing up it was always too cold and icy in the winter to ride the dirt bikes out to the salty water at Christmas but when I was old enough I'd take the ATVs out for Christmas rides to the beach.

That's how began my own tradition of traveling alone at both Christmas and Thanksgiving. Whether I'm going surfing, going motorcycle riding, or just going somewhere...the holidays have always been a time for me to get back to myself. My family has never understood that (and for many years thought I hated them because I would rather be alone than surrounded by people) but they have come to accept that on the Holidays I disappear into the great adventure.

After I left home I traveled, mostly alone, around the world. Then I came back and joined the service (doing helicopter search and rescue) where I got stationed in one of the best places on the planet - Astoria Oregon (home of the Goonies and I lived across the street from the Goonies house). In Astoria I was again a stones throw from the interface of the earth and the water, able to see the Columbia River out my front window (and swam in it all the time). I'd surf the awesome waves of the North Pacific at Seaside Oregon almost every day for the several years that I lived there, choosing to work the graveyard shift so that I could go straight from work to the beach to surf the calm morning breaks before heading home.

Then circumstances landed me in Raleigh North Carolina. I had just returned from a 6 month stint as a UNESCO archaeologist on Easter Island. Didn't have anything else to do so I called up a professor friend and he had me transport a trailer of Palauan excavation artifacts from the UO to NC State University. I never managed to leave after I arrived. I met my wife and settled down (though I still travel to the islands every year). Even though we bought a house on the Neuse River, living here has left me wanting for the special place that is the ocean and the beach. There is something unsettling about living inland when you were born on the water and every day I can't touch the beach is another day that I long to be back where my soul belongs. (hence my choice of occupation as a Pacific and Caribbean island archaeologist)

Happy Holidays everyone.

Here's me and my elf donning our Santa Con outfits, ready to spread cheer around the world round....if you aren't familiar with Santa Con, we love it and do it every year. 2011 had 229 listed Santa Con events in 32 countries. Here is an informational website: http://santacon.info/ and the wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SantaCon

Flashback screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 01:04 PM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #2565
RC Pilot
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,433
Couple file photos. but I figure for a self portrait it will be fine.

Testing a Thunderbird Storm

Short vid, of the returning from taking the youngest for her first ride! -- click on pic for vid.

RC Pilot screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 02:19 PM
RC Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote