User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Oddometer: 204
Question Big long distance fuel tanks.?

I have never been anywhere that i needed more than what was in the standard factory tank on any bike.
So i am ignorant of big gas tanks and their advantages disadvantages etc.
Big tanks do look ungainly and i have often wondered why not just cary extra fuel in jerry cans where they would be lower down and not as much of a hinderance.
Now as i say here i have no experience of the bigger tanks so looks could well be deceptive, but just how ungainly are the big tanks is there a worthwile advantage over seperate fuel storage or what. ?
MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:21 AM   #2
adventure950
Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer: 516
I had a 43litre large tank on my airhead gs in place of the standard 23 litre option. Firstly i got the tank for free after the original was damaged by a ferry company when they knocked my bike over so they opted to pay for a new replacement (it was cheaper than an new tank from BMW) even though it was 500. In use the tank offered better wind protection and pushed rain around the outside of your legs, The tank empty was lighter than the original, and when fueld with lets say 23 litres (same as original) held the fuel low down and forward above the cylinders which gave better weight distrubution than the original, when full the weight was still no problem at all and gave a massive 400/500 mile range which was handy in some out of the way places i travelled to where finding descent fuel was problematic. All that said I agree that the big tanks are certainly not a requirement and carrying a fuel bag/ tank for the occasional needs when required is also fine. two photos one as a travel bike with big tank then one when rebuilt into HPN replica and painted up loke a tarts handbag. Jake.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:41 AM   #3
PeteSAus
Still Learning!

Oddometer: 14
The Added Extra Method

Why not carry and extra tank indeed!

Here is a little home made design I came up with for the 2014 Scrapheap Adventure Ride. It would have been great with the exception that I thought I had a 14 litre tank, so I bought the extra 5 litre caddy. But what I found was I actually had a 20 litre tank. So I already had the extra 5 litres on board.
Of the 5 day trip I only used 16 litres maximum at one fill up, so I didn't even get down to reserve. Having said that, the home made aluminium frame worked extremely well over some very bumpy ground. The whole think was zip tied (cable tied) to the side frame for very easy removal and replacement.

Cheers,
Pete

PeteSAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:21 AM   #4
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
My R60/2 has a 8 gallon tank.

I have an original Acerbis 44 liter on "Das Beast" Bought the tank many years ago, and just kept it.

Sometimes I just like to go; America is a big ol' piece of real estate.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:04 AM   #5
CafeDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Made-in-Switzerland Aimesigger 8 gallon tank on my VW powered Slash 2. The added range is a welcome feature for this machine. I can travel until my bladder tells me to stop.

CafeDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Mike Goldthorpe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Peruse at your leisure

http://www.beemergarage.com/Tanks.html
I have a Hoske to put on my R50. Also have the saddle extension bits - tank is a knacker cracker using the standard solo saddle set up...
Mike Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Extended tanks look impressive at the local coffee shop. Plastic jugs are just as good when fuel stops are few and far between.
On this trip: greatest distance between sources of fuel = 537 kilometres (333 miles)

Nick

nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:46 AM   #8
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,085
You could try something like this.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #9
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,956
My first five bikes
Honda ft500
Honda cb750
BMW r80st
Honda VTR1000
Honda XR650L

Were all saddled with small to tiny fuel tanks.
I couldn't get more then about 120miles out of them.

Until I got a big 5.8gallon tank for the XR. It made riding out in the Western USA much more relaxing to not have to worry about gas all the time.

I missed the window of affordability on the acerbies tank for the airheads, just as I had enough disposable cash, they stopped being easily had for under $1000usd. So I don't have a monster tank but I did get a GS tank for the ST.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,661

That 22.5lt Moto Guzzi Eldorado tank looks at home on my XS650,
standard 15lt tank is OK but with this I have a minimum of 300kms - out to 450kms, depending on what I'm doing !

Handy range when you hit the outback country, Wannaaring OCR '10
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote