Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #736
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Fubar rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
Jenna, Any chance you could have a good one available (borrow, or?)?
If you want to send me the bad one, and a good one, to compare for fit, I could probably repair the one you have.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #737
moosehead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Hey guys, Just wanted to give a heads up. I listed my /7 gauges on EBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260776841790
I don't really know what they are worth, if an inmate needs them, and wants to offer a fair price, I'll pull the EBay ad. I appreciate any advice, or suggestions (other than get F'ed) Thanks!
Guess you did OK on flea-bay eh! Good on ya'.

Gee, was looking at them for my /7 redo but outa my price range!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #738
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Fubar rocks.

Yes he does. I sent him a pm and really appreciate his response!!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #739
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
WANTED: R80GS or R100GS - preferably big tank model

I'm looking for an R80GS or R100GS with a big tank: a PD? A project bike is fine, beauty queens are not necessary but certainly considered.

I have a restored 1974 Harley FLH to trade. It's a nice comfy shiny "ooh ahh" machine but I want to get back in the dirt. I want $9,500 for the HD, so the nicer your bike the closer the trade. I'm in S.E. Michigan, but traveling for the right GS isn't a problem.

Bob, cell (313) 673-6679

EDIT: Link to thread with restoration details ... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post15852642

Other Bob screwed with this post 05-21-2011 at 07:17 AM
Old 05-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #740
Easy E
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
WTB: R80 G/S ST GS R65 GS spoked rear hub

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685201
Old 05-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #741
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
Guess you did OK on flea-bay eh! Good on ya'.

Gee, was looking at them for my /7 redo but outa my price range!
Errmnnn... You weren't bidding on those, were you, Bob?

Old 05-09-2011, 04:20 AM   #742
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
jenna- I once saw a completely fragmented head in a motorcycle shop - burned valves, blown pistons. How did it happen? The owner dented his header pipe and kept riding the bike. The header dent acted as a flow restriction causing excessive heat in the head at the exhaust valves. Just sayin'.......
Old 05-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #743
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,289
Looking for parts or a dead X6 Hustler. Actually if you have any old 2 strokers you want to get rid of let me know. I must have too much money and garage space right.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
Old 05-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #744
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,129
Airhead T'ars

Got sum Metzelers for sale here...

Old 05-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #745
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
jenna- I once saw a completely fragmented head in a motorcycle shop - burned valves, blown pistons. How did it happen? The owner dented his header pipe and kept riding the bike. The header dent acted as a flow restriction causing excessive heat in the head at the exhaust valves. Just sayin'.......
Thanks for the heads up....it was my first "oh shit" thought. It isn't pinched completely, but has lost half of the flow at the dent. Can't get anyone to repair because it is SS...I learned a lesson about spares. Never give them up!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #746
Detroit Steve
Homely Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
If those original headers then they are NOT stainless. I am guessing nobody wants to do the job because the hours to do a good job will cost more than a NEW replacement.

Use a fridge magnet to check the material. If it doesn't stick than it is stainless steel.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #747
buffaloborn
EAT WINGS OR DIE

Oddometer: 57
i'd like a pair of Napoleon bar end mirrors if anyone has an extra pair they'd be willing to sell. I'd prefer flat black.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #748
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Thanks for the heads up....it was my first "oh shit" thought. It isn't pinched completely, but has lost half of the flow at the dent. Can't get anyone to repair because it is SS...I learned a lesson about spares. Never give them up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerSteve View Post
If those original headers then they are NOT stainless. I am guessing nobody wants to do the job because the hours to do a good job will cost more than a NEW replacement.

Use a fridge magnet to check the material. If it doesn't stick than it is stainless steel.

Keep looking, Any GOOD, hell any decent welder can weld stainless. It the only difference is stainless is even easier to weld, and you must purge the inside with argon gas, which the welder will already be using if the are TIG welding, and they should be, on a stainless exhaust.

I agree with SlackerSteve though, that header could take 2-3 hours to make it like new, at $50-80hr!?!.
I am curious though, if it really is stainless. Stainless generally does not turn blue on motorcycles. It almost always turns gold, with some other colors involved, but 80% gold. Your exhaust is 80% blue!?! Try Steve's magnet trick. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #749
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton73 View Post
Someone buy this thing or I'll cafe it

Old 05-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #750
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Quote:
Keep looking, Any GOOD, hell any decent welder can weld stainless. It the only difference is stainless is even easier to weld, and you must purge the inside with argon gas, which the welder will already be using if the are TIG welding, and they should be, on a stainless exhaust.

I agree with SlackerSteve though, that header could take 2-3 hours to make it like new, at $50-80hr!?!.
I am curious though, if it really is stainless. Stainless generally does not turn blue on motorcycles. It almost always turns gold, with some other colors involved, but 80% gold. Your exhaust is 80% blue!?! Try Steve's magnet trick. Good luck!
Hmmm.....well I've dropped them at a local hot rod shop and they think they'll be able to make me one much faster (as you said) then repairing the one I've got. I'll know tomorrow as they're motorcycle guy left early and will be back tomorrow. Didn't think about checking with a magnet...the guy at the first shop told me they were stainless. I figured a welder would know?!! Guess not. Thanks guys, I'll let you know what the damage is.
Closed Thread