User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
loeky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
990 ABS Light Stuck On

Came up with a problem after taking off my front wheel to have a tire swapped out. The ABS warning light now stays on, even when restarting the bike multiple times. I've checked that everything is aligned and straight/true after remounting the wheel and it would all appear as normal.

Otherwise, bike drives normally and such. Checked the rear sensor as well and appears to be in order and fine.

Searched here and with Google, and seems like very few if any hits for this symptom. Is there a simple 'reset' that I'm not aware of....?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Pax
shazam.

Oddometer: 812
Looking at the obvious first...was the wheel reversed when the new tire was placed on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loeky
Came up with a problem after taking off my front wheel to have a tire swapped out. The ABS warning light now stays on, even when restarting the bike multiple times. I've checked that everything is aligned and straight/true after remounting the wheel and it would all appear as normal.

Otherwise, bike drives normally and such. Checked the rear sensor as well and appears to be in order and fine.

Searched here and with Google, and seems like very few if any hits for this symptom. Is there a simple 'reset' that I'm not aware of....?

Any help is appreciated.

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” –Thomas Paine
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax
Looking at the obvious first...was the wheel reversed when the new tire was placed on it?
good call
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
loeky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The ABS sensor aligns with the grating on the wheel. It sounds though that the wheel itself is directional, which I didn't realize and couldn't tell.

Will rotate the wheel around and see if that fixes it.... and then go back to the shop to have the tire put on correctly. Will have to inspect though as I could see any directional difference in the wheel mechanism.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
evoluzione
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
if the sensor ring is on the left side (as you sit on the bike) then the wheel is on correctly. check that the sensor tip does not have any metal "bits" stuck to it. also, if the wheel spacers were not fully seated then the ring might be just far enough away from the sensor to not work properly.

hope this helps.

ken zeller
president - evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
evoluzione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Pax
shazam.

That's correct Loeky. I almost went mad trying to figure this issue out on my 990 last summer and found it in 2 minutes at the shop. Duh.

Evoluzione brings up a good point. Clean everything up carefully and fiddle with the alignment a bit. The sensor can get knocked out of place.

Regarding tires, always install tires as designed (directionally). It is a simple mistake to fix if this is what happened.

Report back and let us know how it goes.

-Pax

Quote:
The ABS sensor aligns with the grating on the wheel. It sounds though that the wheel itself is directional, which I didn't realize and couldn't tell.

Will rotate the wheel around and see if that fixes it.... and then go back to the shop to have the tire put on correctly. Will have to inspect though as I could see any directional difference in the wheel mechanism.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
loeky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

- Wheel is on correctly based on sensor ring being on the left side.
- Removed the sensor itself this AM to make sure it was clean and appears to be, with no visible gunk/dirt.
- Wheel spins true and bearings and spacers are inserted as they were before wheel was removed.

Sucks, but looks like I need to swing by the shop tomorrow to have someone take a peek at it. Kinda bummed that a simple wheel change would throw off the ABS - unless I'm an idiot and overlooked something else entirely.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Pax
shazam.

It is probably something simple, but that doesn't make you an idiot. Keep at it and get it fixed! Your bike should be returned to you in working order and that is a reasonable expectation.

Swing by the shop, shrug, point at the bike and say, "Gosh guys, what'd you do?"

-Pax

Quote:
- Wheel is on correctly based on sensor ring being on the left side.
- Removed the sensor itself this AM to make sure it was clean and appears to be, with no visible gunk/dirt.
- Wheel spins true and bearings and spacers are inserted as they were before wheel was removed.

Sucks, but looks like I need to swing by the shop tomorrow to have someone take a peek at it. Kinda bummed that a simple wheel change would throw off the ABS - unless I'm an idiot and overlooked something else entirely.

Thanks for the responses!

Old 01-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
alphajory
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
just make a quick check and see that you have spacer in correctly and that you haven't reversed them. this will change the distance from the sensor and it will not work.
alphajory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,093
bring it to the SF tech day tommorow..

maybe one of those guys can fix it..

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542123

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
loeky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

For ongoing future reference:

- Combined knowledge of the knuckleheads at the tech day today couldn't help to diagnose the ABS light problem...

- To their credit and only after taking the bike to Scuderia - error codes were found to have been thrown when tied up to the computer. After being cleared, reset and then redriven the codes would return. The 2 ABS error codes are:

5021 ECU Malfunction
5014 Valve Relay Malfunction

These have been forwarded to KTM for their advice as the mechanics haven't seen this sort of problem and are calling it an electrical gremlin of some sort.

It'll be next week before any more progress is made by talking to KTM directly. It could be anything to a shorting wire in the harness somewhere to who knows what else....

The dollar signs are starting to spin and am hopeful a quick answer is possible. Sharing this here in case it helps someone else and will post my results when/if I get one.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,624
I have the complete ABS pump assembly out of my bike sitting in a box, PM me if you end up needing one.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,797
Yeah, whatever you do don't buy anything related to the ABS from the dealer. I'm like DSM8, I've got pump assembly, the wires, sensors, whole 9 yards. If DSM8 doesn't have something you need PM me.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
loeky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the offers dudes. I will surely reach out when I know more.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 595
Bump - so what was it?

3 1/2yr old thread - anybody know what the answer was?
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote