User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 12:25 AM   #1
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,876
14 Tenere vs 1190 Adv vs 1190R

First, I apologize for the long, boring post. If this stuff gets to you, please read no further. If you own one of these, especially if you came off a DL650, please chime in.

I'm getting ready to buy my 1st new bike in like,,,,, 25 years and boy howdy, I'm in one heck of a quandary. I'm coming off a fairly well modded DL650 with modded suspension {DR650 fork tubes and internals}, longer aftermarket shock, deep gearing, Jessie bags, Audiovox cruise control, yada, yada. I ride this bike in everything from commuting, to roughish, two track, FS Jeep trails to long distance touring. When I fist bought it, I hated it but a deer strike a week later settled the deal and it became mine. After the suspension mods and gearing the piss outta of it, I started liking it and now it along with my FJR, has become a favorite ride.

Honestly, the derned old bike does everything I ask of it. It's got pretty decent suspension now, handles worlds better than stock on and off tarmac. The deep gearing makes it feel sorta peppy and the modded seat, heated grips, 12V oulets up front and in the topbox, Jessie bags and the cruise make like easy on long days in the seat. But after several years of riding and modding, I'm getting the new bike itch. If I buy a new Adv Tourer I will be selling my DL650 and my FJR so this bike will have to take the place of two bikes that I have become rather attached to.

I've narrowed the choice down to a Adv tourer and that's been narrowed to the 14 Tenere {yes, left over 12s and 13s are selling for dirt cheap but I want the cruise} and the KTM twins. I will admit the water cooled GS is still a dark horse. Prolly like it the most after riding all but the 1190R but I really don't think I'm up for the cost of purchase or more importantly, ownership.

The Tenere is my choice for lowest cost of entry and ownership and I've heard from nearly everyone that's bought one,,,,,, works great. I've ridden a 12/13 and liked it OK but wasn't over joyed by the power or the ride/handling. I know it's a lot like my FJR where people often cite a "lack of soul" as a reason they never fell in love with it. Well, I love my 04 FJR and after 90K miles with no real reliability issues, the "soulless character" doesn't phase me much. With just a test ride I see the Tenere is very capable. Even though it's the heaviest with the least "spunk", it still feels better than my DL650 at low speeds {the DL has been raised a bit and that sure didn't help the top heavy feeling any} and can see it would make a great canvas to mod. and should be dead ass reliable and easy to maintain if my FJR and the UJM reputation is any indication at all. I assumed it would also be more comfy for my wife but she actually liked the 1190 Adv seat more,,,,,,, which, is fine by me I reckon.

It's the 4x4 Ford Explorer or Jeep Grand Cherokee of motorcycling. Does a bit of everything but not really spectacular at any of it. Like my DL650 only a bit better.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________
I have found a demo 1190 Adv locally which would be pretty much a financial wash with a new Tenere. I've rode it too,,,,, which was a bad thing. To paraphrase Penny from Oh Brother Where Art Thou,,,,,,,, "it's bonafide"! Seriously like this bike. I really do think it could easily take the place of my DL650 and my FJR. Only engine in this group I like more is the water cooled boxer of the GS and I only like it more for it slightly better low end, basically,,, it's like you took a Ully engine and mixed it with my FJR's. Perfect motor for this sorta bike but enough of the Boxer and back to the 1190. The handling of the 1190 is stupendous and I like the aesthetics and looks wise, it's only beat by it's twin, the 1190R. One really could take the 1190 Adv and ride it to Alaska or Baja on Shinko 705s, change to TKCs and really explore then come back home stopping at various tracks between to do some track days on some Conti Attacks. Kinda the WRX or maybe Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. Do everything and do everything pretty dern well bike.

Only reservations on the 1190 Adv are perceived reliability, cost and of maintenance which I've heard has been greatly improved over the previous 990. I'm a Ludite at heart and whether warranted or not, the electronic gagetry on the 1190 worries me. What happens in 10 years {yea, I keep shit that long} when that stuff starts wiggen out??? Also, does the KTM use something like BMW's CANBUS system which makes simple wiring mods a PITA? How about valve intervals? Yea, I know,,,, I can simply look up the manufacturer's recommendations but I want real life. For example, the Tenere has, I think 24K intervals. If my FJR is any indication, that 24K is actually,,,,, like never.

The 1190R is, I'm assuming since I haven't seen one in person,,,,,,,, more hard edged than it's sibling. Prolly won't find many track oriented tires in the 21/18 combo size so railing in the mountains or doing a track day here there prolly wouldn't be in the cards {unless I procure a second wheel set like I did for my DL650}. It's also tall as hell. I'm 5'6 with a 30 inch inseam. I'm stretching it on my lifted DL650. I'm fine on the Tenere and the 1190 Adv with the seat on the low setting but the 1190R is an inch taller I think than the 1190 Adv on the high setting. I would have to really work to mod the seat or even the suspension to get the R model to work well for me I think. I tried to get a 1st hand looksee today but the local KTM dealer had no R model. Also, since I haven't seen one in person, could the seat be lowered any further? Oh, and how's the passenger accommodations on the R?

The R has better tire size options for off tarmac stuff and I actually do a lot of that especially when adv touring. I always end up in the boonies of Bumfrigg Egypt when adv touring. Hell, my poor FJR prolly has more off tarmac than most 1200 GSs. But even I will admit rough, really rough two track is a small portion of my riding and I am missing track days. The R model hasn't the electronic suspension of the 1190 Adv which I consider a plus. Otherwise, peas of a pod when it comes to costs of buying and ownership. Any owners out there have any opinions on my perceived notions of a KTM cost of ownership?

The 1190R is sorta like the Ford Raptor of motorcycles. Possibly a Jeep Wrangler JK. Mo better off tarmac than anything else but on road capability and ultimately, overall usefulness suffers a smidge.

So, 14 Tenere or one of the 1190 brothers????

Like I said, the 1200 waterboxer is still a darkhorse simply because I think I do like it the best when it comes to the actual riding experience. I think it would be even better than the 1190 Adv as do-it-all bike for me and it's the 1st modern GS I rode that really made me pine over it but, but,,,,,, I live in the real world where costs to procure and maintain are legit concerns. Especially considering I'll be keeping it a long, long time,,,, well outta warranty crutches and my financial pie ain't too big. More like a Moon Pie than a big ole apple pie.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:35 AM   #2
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,453
Being an owner of a 2012 S10 and now a 2014 S10 ES, I looked at the KTM's also. But I like to tour along with my adventure. I ride from Idaho to Wisconsin and back one or twice a year. I think the KTM would suck at that. The S10 tours like a mofo and does dirt okay. I love the ES suspension. I play with the settings every ride and am getting quite comfortable on the bike. But its your money and some people "need" to have the good feeling that owning a top shelf bike gives you. I wouldnt touch a BMW (I was f'ed by BMW once and thats it for me).
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:07 AM   #3
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for sharing your opinion and experience. I don't so much like the KTM because of a feeling of ownership, rather the feeling of,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I've ridden the older 950 and while impressed, it in no way made me seriously contemplate selling two bikes I really like get much less selling both and adding beaucoup boot. The KTM really could easily take the place of my DL650 and my FJR and one could add a sportbike {not repli-racer} to that list. The Tenere can do off tarmac condition as good or better than my well modded DL650 in most instances and it could take the place of my FJR and many but not all riding since I no longer have a sportbike and press the FJR into playing all too often. The Tenere would not however take the place of my old R1 or my 1125CR,,,,, the 1190 could rather handily.

But with everything, there are trade offs. I think the Tenere would ultimately be more reliable and less costly to own and that is a biggie to me. I also think the Tenere would be more comfy and easy to live with on a daily basis,,,, especially in a multi-day, multi week, muti-week trip.
Blue Skies Coming
Old Yesterday, 05:39 AM   #4
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post

The 1190R is sorta like the Ford Raptor of motorcycles. Possibly a Jeep Wrangler JK. Mo better off tarmac than anything else but on road capability and ultimately, overall usefulness suffers a smidge.

So, 14 Tenere or one of the 1190 brothers????

as nice as the ktm is i would wait to see what yamaha comes up with in a lighter package. S10 not even close
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM   #5
Flyinguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Sounds like you have done your homework. One thing you did not mention is dealer support. Which dealer, assuming they are different, will treat you the best, both buying and maintaining? I love my GS, but I am 65 miles from the dealer. It might be something to consider.
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM   #6
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 15,962
"The Tenere is my choice for lowest cost of entry and ownership and I've heard from nearly everyone that's bought one..works great. I've ridden a 12/13 and liked it OK but wasn't over joyed by the power or the ride/handling. I know it's a lot like my FJR where people often cite a "lack of soul" as a reason they never fell in love with it. Well, I love my 04 FJR and after 90K miles with no real reliability issues, the "soulless character" doesn't phase me much. With just a test ride I see the Tenere is very capable"

I think you answered your own question.

After 90k I wouldn't think you were a thrill seeker.

The KTM's require a certain comittent in terms of patience and money, so I hear.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM   #7
BaldKnob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Something else to consider...

Using the KTM as a daily driver in Georgia will expose you to much more engine heat than the Yamaha puts out. This is a non-issue with some people but when the source is 2" from your cross-member, deal breaker. The FJR may have prepared you for this as it produces a fair amount of heat, especially the earlier models. KTM 1190 owner/magazine reports state quite a bit of heat radiating from the rear cylinder while sitting in traffic. On the Tenere, you will feel some heat between the tank and radiator shroud on hot days while sitting at idle but when the fan kicks on, it pulls the hot air well past your left leg.
BaldKnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #8
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,327
Howdy Jud,
I too tend to keep my motorcycles a long time, 10 to 20 years. I traded in my 2011 Ninja 1000 for a new 2013 S10. I was very close to getting a MotoGuzzi Stelvio due to my love of unusual motorcycles. However, my more practical side that desired a bike that would be most reliable and require the least maintenance. I have some nervousness about all the computer controlled wizardry on the S10, and hope I will never have an issue that requires a visit to the dealership. My first impression of the S10 was certainly not the motor. The motor just felt like a huge KLR, kind of flaccid and just there to get the job done. I really noticed the comfortable ergonomics, good standing riding position and plus suspension. The S10 has grown on me, sure I miss the power of the Ninja, but I find myself much more relaxed while riding because there is no temptation to go into the triple digits, there really is no point in it on the S10. Engine heat management is excellent, which is a huge bonus in Texas and helps with summer comfort!
I do all my own maintenance and so far its a real breeze, oil and filter changes are super easy, and pulling the wheels - simple. I'll be doing my own valve check/adjustment, and I am sure glad about the 24K intervals.
Compared to my Ninja 1000, I can do a 600 mile day on the S10 and feel just great, rather than completely whooped from the wind, sporty suspension and buzzy motor.
I am going to try making the S10 the last new motorcycle I will ever purchase.

RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #9
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
I was very close to getting a MotoGuzzi Stelvio due to my love of unusual motorcycles. However, my more practical side that desired a bike that would be most reliable and require the least maintenance.
Oh, yeah -- i hear that.
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM   #10
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinguy View Post
Sounds like you have done your homework. One thing you did not mention is dealer support. Which dealer, assuming they are different, will treat you the best, both buying and maintaining? I love my GS, but I am 65 miles from the dealer. It might be something to consider.

Unless the bike has terrible issues, I plan on never seeing the dealer which is why the Tenere is neck and neck with a bike that's much more,,,,,, everything.

Please don't take it wrong, not being anti-social or anything but the KTM dealer I'm talking to {who just happens to also be the Yamaha dealer too} is a good hour away. There are a couple of non-dealership shops nearby that I would much rather frequent due to reputation {a very positive reflection of the non-dealership mechanic,,,, not a negative reflection of the dealership} for stuff like valve checks. If it's warranty work or recall stuff, yea,,,,,, dealership it is. If it's valve adjustment time, it'll be the local guy but for routine stuff like oil changes, air filter, adding mods like skid plates, bags, crash protection, ect.,, I'll do it.

I have never had close personal bonds with dealerships. I used to do much more of my own work as I preferred my work to the work of others but age and lack of time has seen me paying to do much of the stuff I used to do. Maybe now, your suggestion should hold more weight and I agree,,, something to mildly consider but it's just not what would make me buy one bike over another. Now, if that BMW wasn't such a darkhorse,,,,,,,, dealer relationship might well be a predominant factor.

Juss kiddin,,,, sorta.
Blue Skies Coming
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM   #11
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
After 90k I wouldn't think you were a thrill seeker.
Well, I have been on that DL650 a loonnggggg time too.
Blue Skies Coming
Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM   #12
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
Howdy Jud,
I too tend to keep my motorcycles a long time, 10 to 20 years. I traded in my 2011 Ninja 1000 for a new 2013 S10. I was very close to getting a MotoGuzzi Stelvio due to my love of unusual motorcycles. However, my more practical side that desired a bike that would be most reliable and require the least maintenance. I have some nervousness about all the computer controlled wizardry on the S10, and hope I will never have an issue that requires a visit to the dealership. My first impression of the S10 was certainly not the motor. The motor just felt like a huge KLR, kind of flaccid and just there to get the job done. I really noticed the comfortable ergonomics, good standing riding position and plus suspension. The S10 has grown on me, sure I miss the power of the Ninja, but I find myself much more relaxed while riding because there is no temptation to go into the triple digits, there really is no point in it on the S10. Engine heat management is excellent, which is a huge bonus in Texas and helps with summer comfort!
I do all my own maintenance and so far its a real breeze, oil and filter changes are super easy, and pulling the wheels - simple. I'll be doing my own valve check/adjustment, and I am sure glad about the 24K intervals.
Compared to my Ninja 1000, I can do a 600 mile day on the S10 and feel just great, rather than completely whooped from the wind, sporty suspension and buzzy motor.
I am going to try making the S10 the last new motorcycle I will ever purchase.
Ironically, I like the Stelvio too. Has real character and one of my all time favorite bikes is the Griso as I think it has what will become timeless styling and that Guzzi panache. But honestly, the bike is just too large and top heavy for me. The Tenere is prolly heavier on paper but in real life, the Tenere hides it's considerable mass pretty derned well. I know the Guzzi, like the Triumph Explorer is just a street bike duded up in adventure clothing. The Tenere while not be as good as the KTM or quite possibly, the GS, is still pretty good for a bike of it's ilk. Yamaha engineers apparently had an ear to the ground from people who honestly had experience.

The only reason I'm considering the KTM is because it would be a new purchase with a corresponding warranty. It's like buying a BMW, no way in hell I would buy a bike that expensive and with that reputation used and without a warranty. Now the older BMWs like the R80 I really liked because they were simple, rugged and they were for the most part reliable. But BMW has become a slave to "complicated" in an effort I think to keep their upscale "mystic". I will admit that new water cooled GS may well be the best bike in it's class but that "best" comes at quite an expense, an expense I'm not too sure I want to deal with.

I think the KTM is better at many more things, things that do matter to me than the Tenere but like I said, there is a reason this is a hard decision and it's because the Tenere is "good enough" while having a reliability rep that's hard as hell to beat,,,,, which is also very important to me.
Blue Skies Coming
Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM   #13
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldKnob View Post
Using the KTM as a daily driver in Georgia will expose you to much more engine heat than the Yamaha puts out. This is a non-issue with some people but when the source is 2" from your cross-member, deal breaker. The FJR may have prepared you for this as it produces a fair amount of heat, especially the earlier models. KTM 1190 owner/magazine reports state quite a bit of heat radiating from the rear cylinder while sitting in traffic. On the Tenere, you will feel some heat between the tank and radiator shroud on hot days while sitting at idle but when the fan kicks on, it pulls the hot air well past your left leg.
Yep, I have a 1st gen and while it do get hot at times, it's never been so bothersome to me that I would even spend the small amount of time and money to fix as it can be readily addressed. The only bike I've rode that's much worse was a 06 Ully and I rode it in Hawaii and I will admit I would be adding a comfort kit scoop and few other mods to combat that heat if,,,, if my commute went into Atlanta during the rush hours. But it doesn't and I rarely sit in traffic. Ironically, the only times I end up in stop and go stuff is when I'm touring and just get "caught out" due to ignorance of the area and traffic.
Blue Skies Coming
Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM   #14
Jud OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
as nice as the ktm is i would wait to see what yamaha comes up with in a lighter package. S10 not even close
I didn't know Ma Yamaha had anything like that in the pipes. I've actually waited forever and man, that's the only reason I'm buggin so bad on another bike. As I said, I hated the my DL650 when I 1st bought it. I bought it one day, rode it 500 miles or so home,,,, then the next time I rode it I run it through a deer at roughly 80mph. I bought it for under 4K$ and it had liability only so it became "mine". After a few pretty serious mods I started taking a shine to it. Still not a bad ride but like I said, been awhile and I'm geeking.

Now, I hear Honda might be doing something but man,,,,,,, they have been reportedly "doing something" forever now. I hear EBR is also up to something and considering the commendable job he did with the Ully considering his constraints, it might be worth waiting for. But, tired of waiting for the "perfect" bike to buy.
Blue Skies Coming
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM   #15
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
I hear EBR is also up to something and considering the commendable job he did with the Ully considering his constraints, it might be worth waiting for.
Nothing EBR does will be worth waiting for
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote