ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #14986
Coastalcop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Well, apparently not so much that you aren't still awfully spooked by those "Big Twins" and their engine braking... Maybe you should just really *all-in* on this technology thing and get ya' one of them "Big Twin" BMW scooters with the CVT trannys... That way you wouldn't have to worry about that dastardly engine braking, or even about that nasty ol' stuff like shifting gears and all!

And me? Well, where I grew up we always had toilets and indoor plumbing... But hey, don't feel bad if you didn't. That ol' toilet flush lever isn't nearly as hard to master as a rev-matched downshift!

Dallara

~
One of these days we are gonna have to meet for a beer as I too am on the third coast currently occupying a space near Corpitos

Never confuse getting lucky with good tactics.... unless you are at the bar
Coastalcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #14987
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,943
Thumb Look forward to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalcop View Post
One of these days we are gonna have to meet for a beer as I too am on the third coast currently occupying a space near Corpitos

That sounds great. Just drop me a PM. Maybe a ride loop around the bay for a brew in Port A or the like?

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #14988
Coastalcop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Sounds like a plan

Quote:
That sounds great. Just drop me a PM. Maybe a ride loop around the bay for a brew in Port A or the like?

Dallara

~

Port A brewing Co has several selections and a mean burger.

Off to bed I NEED all the beauty sleep I can get

Never confuse getting lucky with good tactics.... unless you are at the bar
Coastalcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #14989
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Thumb Amen to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalcop View Post
Port A brewing Co has several selections and a mean burger.

Off to bed I NEED all the beauty sleep I can get

Just the place I was thinkin' of for a brew, though "Fins" or "Inferno" may have better burgers!

Dallara

~

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Old 12-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #14990
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,863
Pffff. If you were as good a rider as you are bragging you'd be in quite some hall of fames. But so far you're not very impressive. In ten years you'll have won every trophy there is - in your phantasy.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #14991
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Wicked Bragging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Pffff. If you were as good a rider as you are bragging you'd be in quite some hall of fames. But so far you're not very impressive. In ten years you'll have won every trophy there is - in your phantasy.

You might want to do a bit of re-reading there, cuggie... Seems you do your own "bragging" in this exchange... Or did you forget this?

Quote:
...Big twin engine braking is quite harsh. If you ever start riding a bit faster and downshift hard you'll notice your rear wheel hopping and losing road contact because the engine braking is too much. But as you old farts are going so slow anyways...

Sure looks like to me you're implying that you are "riding a bit faster" than others here... especially the folks you refer to as "old farts" that "are going so slow anyways..."

All I said was I used to do a quite bit of racing, both on- and off-road, and had won a few races, adding that during that time I actually learned how to execute a proper rev-matched downshift. If that's "bragging" then I guess I'm guilty. At least we know where I'm coming from... What do you base your claims above on?

You know, those of riding so much "faster", downshifting so "hard" (), etc. than all us "old farts... going so slow"

Of course from your profile page it doesn't look like you've owned any truly fast machinery, so I guess you're probably guessing, but honestly I'd love to hear more of your riding prowess, expertise, "hard" downshits, and corner-entry, derring do...

Dallara

~

Old 12-27-2012, 02:50 AM   #14992
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,308
1000 Pages guys !!!

Woohoo

I can see why this thread is blowing a bit of smoke..
Anyway back to the slagging.....

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:00 AM   #14993
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Yeah, Mark...

I'd kind'a like to know all those "adventure" touring bikes with slipper clutches, too?
I seem to remember that my old Caponords had one

Old 12-27-2012, 04:48 AM   #14994
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I seem to remember that my old Caponords had one

Aprilia's bean-counters decided it was cheaper just to leave it in the Mille donor motor.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #14995
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
Quote:
Ducati Multistrada 1200, KTM 1190 Adventure, 2013 R1200GS. I don't think the Tiger 1200 has one, but it likely doesn't need one as the Triple doesn't build as much compression and therefore engine braking as the big twins.

And for what do you need it? Big twin engine braking is quite harsh. If you ever start riding a bit faster and downshift hard you'll notice your rear wheel hopping and losing road contact because the engine braking is too much. But as you old farts are going so slow anyways, Yamaha has probably decided it's not worth the effort ...
Cmon guys, we are not namby-pamby BMW, Ducati or KTM riders, we are riders of Ténéré - we don't need any special "rider aids" to save us from ourselves! (well apart from ABS, TCS, T-mode...). Well at least we don't need no slipper clutch...

Not setting my self up as an expert, but really don't have trouble with the rear wheel locking up. But like Dallara I have a bit of racing in my background. Here I'm only going about 6 tenths - 200lb load and K60s on an unfamiliar road will do that - but you can hear what I'm doing with the rev-matching.

Now if you were racing it might be a completely different thing. Then you might want to go down several gears in one go, and rev-matching becomes trickier. A slipper clutch might be handy then. Can't wait to see them BMW girlies racing their Wasserboxers
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #14996
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Back in the day when... We didn't need no stinkin.... bloody suspension.
Yeah... ditto!

But that's probably why my back always hurts and my wrists pop when I tip back my beer!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #14997
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
You might want to do a bit of re-reading there, cuggie... Seems you do your own "bragging" in this exchange... Or did you forget this?
You need a lesson in language and mockery? Seems so ...

I actually never bragged about anything here - other than that I "get by fine" riding big twins. The bragging started much earlier when you came up with rev matching, racing, and especially racing the "single cylinder 5Litre bikes [sonny]".

Overall - I think I stop discussing this with someone who I think isn't worth it. I let you rev match, race your "single cylinder 5Litre bikes", talk about technology in bikes you don't own, and personally take the benefits of modern technology.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #14998
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh Reading is FUN-damental...

Quote:
You need a lesson in language and mockery? Seems so ...

I actually never bragged about anything here - other than that I "get by fine" riding big twins. The bragging started much earlier when you came up with rev matching, racing, and especially racing the "single cylinder 5Litre bikes [sonny]".

Overall - I think I stop discussing this with someone who I think isn't worth it. I let you rev match, race your "single cylinder 5Litre bikes", talk about technology in bikes you don't own, and personally take the benefits of modern technology.

What's apparent is you need to obviously improve your reading comprehension and recall skills, along with your riding ones...

I *NEVER* mentioned anything about "single cylinder 5Litre bikes", cug-less... GrahamD did in post # 15000:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15000

Of course, good reading comprehension requires a bit of concentration, just like making a proper downshift does.

As for someone who talks about "technology in bikes you don't own"... I notice in your list of bikes "owned" on your profile page that none - not one - had any sort of slipper clutch from the factory. OTOH, over the years I've owned a bunch that had slipper clutches (I just didn't need 'em to avoid locking the rear wheel or wheel-hop on corner entry), and still own one now that has one.

So, I guess I'll have to leave it to you to prattle on about bikes you don't own... Funny, too, as apparently from your profile you've never owned a Super Tenere, yet here you are trying to school us "old farts" in the proper way to ride 'em!

I can't help it that you apparently haven't a clue about how to execute a proper downshift, but I will leave you with this:

No amount of "technology" makes you a "better" rider… Becoming a "better" rider comes only with careful study and the practice-practice-practice of ***proper*** technique.

Conversely, the continual practice of ***improper*** technique only makes you a worse rider, and refusing to acknowledge your technique is improper only makes the problem systemic across all the bikes you ride.

BTW, here's the bike I currently own that has a "slipper" clutch... and even a dry one, no less!

BTW, it's not a single, and it's only 990cc's... And that's one of my nasty ol' race cars in the picture on the wall above it.

Dallara

~

Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #14999
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Here I'm only going about 6 tenths - 200lb load and K60s on an unfamiliar road will do that - but you can hear what I'm doing with the rev-matching.
I see what you did at 4:50-4:54.

(from my desk, anyway )
Old 12-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #15000
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,807

Could someone turn the volume up a tad please?
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote