Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #15076
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Lots of imports from Germany, no issues yet. They do have a reputation for being efficient. I think someone else reported about a month to get their ECU back from Italy.

Been trawling through the S10 forum's ECU reflash results only thread. Some of the posts raised question marks, like Fredz's, S Palmer's, Z06's so I am looking for more info before sending off my ECU. I appreciate your recommendation.

I am still wondering, do all these vendors develop their own reflashes, or is it something they are getting from a common source, maybe Yamaha???

Just call Ed at AF-1. I'm pretty sure he would be happy to explain what ever unanswered questions you
may have. From what I understand there must be modifications available in the mapping for aftermarket
items on your bike. High flow exhausts, intake mods etc. They can make the reflash to fit stock or
modified. This is coming off the top of my head from what I recall reading when I was going to have it done.

Originally, based on the Euro feedback, I too had really high performance improvement expectations.
After hearing what the US reflashed bikes riders were reporting I lowered those expectations.
Yes I would have it done again. Considering what you pay for the bike and what most people add
in farkles, it is money well spent to have the fueling system so well sorted out.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #15077
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 349
Germans are more efficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Lots of imports from Germany, no issues yet. They do have a reputation for being efficient. I think someone else reported about a month to get their ECU back from Italy.

Been trawling through the S10 forum's ECU reflash results only thread. Some of the posts raised question marks, like Fredz's, S Palmer's, Z06's so I am looking for more info before sending off my ECU. I appreciate your recommendation.

I am still wondering, do all these vendors develop their own reflashes, or is it something they are getting from a common source, maybe Yamaha???
Did mine together with a friend ... OTR handled it very fast and in a week I got it back ... and I'm in South America with a lousy Post Office.
Roberto
Old 12-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #15078
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I can only remember the bolt that is in deep in the fairing. PITA gettting out,
PITA getting back in. The rest was easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
Yeah, if I recall it is a 5mm allen. Once I figured that out, it wasn't too bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
...My recollections exactly. Of course, the good news is that you don't have to do it but once!

Dallara

Thank you, Gentlemen.

This is exactly what I was referring to, in regard to any possible "gremlins"

I have another possible question, but have decided to read-up a little more, before I ask...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #15079
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I have another possible question, but have decided to read-up a little more, before I ask...

Dallara will be so pleased to here that

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #15080
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,752
Laugh Somebody's gotta' do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

Thank you! Thank you very much!

Improving forum experiences everywhere, one "Search" inducing post at a time!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #15081
AndyCBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
In prep for my trip to the Americas next year I decided to check and grease my rear suspension components.

Once I had stripped out the suspension link I checked the swing arm for play and was surprised to find some. The book says there should be none. It was perhaps 1mm at the wheel axle end. On inspection it was not the bearings but a loose swing arm axle. Not loose as in coming undone, but more like it needed torqueing (is that a word ?) up. Once all greased up and reassembled all was good with no play.

As is usual, there was very little grease on the pins. Unfortunately this is normal for Yamahas. It presents itself as a problem after time as the pins seize in the bearing sleeves.

Anyone considering doing this, do not remove the cap over the swing arm nut (beside the cardan joint) as it says in the book. It is unnecessary. It holds the Swing arm nut in place.

This is the pin that needed tightening. As can be seen, it is starting to rust.

The pin was very tight to undo so just tightening further would probably not help. Fortunately it comes out very easy. It remains to be seen if the swing arm loosens up again with use. It may just be the new grease filling any gaps at present.

EDIT: I should add, the pin shown above is a very loose fit in the bearing sleeve (the machined tube part that that actually touches the needle rollers) and this was where the play came from
Ray,

Wish I had found this post before I did this. The nut holding plate is a bitch to remove and is unneccessary as you say. Had to cut an allen wrench to make it small enough to get those little bolts out. Oh well, now I know....

When I look at the needle bearings in the dogbone there is a light brown residue that comes out that is in between all of the needle rollers. It is semi-solid but breaks up easily. It is hard enough that it almost acts like an inner cage for the needle rollers.

I can only assume this is dried up grease from the factory?

I am replacing my rear shock at 11,000 miles so this service is obviously premature but once the shock is off you are halfway there and I have never seen a Japanese bike with sufficient grease in these pivots.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper
AndyCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #15082
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Thank you! Thank you very much!

Improving forum experiences everywhere, one "Search" inducing post at a time!

Dallara

~

I was wonderin' if anyone would catch that. Apparently, it was a direct hit, and Allan's gotta' huge hole in his battle ship.

Allan...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 12-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #15083
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
That is so funny.

Yea, you will get his ire if you ask a "no search" question.

But if your question is legit, he is very likely to be the one that makes the biggest effort to post help. The Dude is thorough!

Helped me a few times while he helped others.

My only complaint is how much money it costs to keep up with him. :)
Old 12-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #15084
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
...Helped me a few times while he helped others...

He hasn't done anything for me, until he lets me take that Desmosedici for a spin.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...

Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #15085
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Eek Inexplicable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCBR View Post
Ray,

Wish I had found this post before I did this. The nut holding plate is a bitch to remove and is unneccessary as you say. Had to cut an allen wrench to make it small enough to get those little bolts out. Oh well, now I know....

When I look at the needle bearings in the dogbone there is a light brown residue that comes out that is in between all of the needle rollers. It is semi-solid but breaks up easily. It is hard enough that it almost acts like an inner cage for the needle rollers.

I can only assume this is dried up grease from the factory?

I am replacing my rear shock at 11,000 miles so this service is obviously premature but once the shock is off you are halfway there and I have never seen a Japanese bike with sufficient grease in these pivots.

Ain't it the truth...

When I got my Penske rear shock and forks re-done by Stoltec at 0ver 20,000 miles I pulled the steering head apart as well as the swingarm pivots and shock linkage pivots, and found just what you did - remarkably little lubricant. What I did find appeared to be relatively high quality stuff, but there was preciously little of it.

And like you that has been more the norm rather than the exception, but in my experience it's not just that way with Japanese bikes. When I did similar services to lots of other brands - BMW, KTM, Ducati, H-D, etc. - I found much the same thing. Just seems to be one area that most manufacturers use *just* enough to do the job.

That said, I have seen a lot of folks use way, waaaaaaaaaay more of a lubricant than necessary, often to the detriment of the vehicle, in many cases. Restraint is often needs to be the watch-word, like with some brake slider pins, etc., and some folks just don't get that. OTOH, It sure seems to me that too many manufacturers scrimp too much on pivot lubricants, etc.

One thing this all points to... If you've got a Super Tenere then regardless of mileage you might want to consider servicing your swingarm pivot, linkage pivots, and steering head.

Just my two centavos... YMMV.

Dallara

~

~
Old 12-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #15086
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh No problem...

Quote:
I was wonderin' if anyone would catch that. Apparently, it was a direct hit, and Allan's gotta' huge hole in his battle ship.

Allan...

Didn't bother me... No leaks here!

Quote:
He hasn't done anything for me, until he lets me take that Desmosedici for a spin.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...

Desmosedici rides can be cheerfully arranged, no sweat! A couple of riding buddies of mine have rode it.

However, for others the pre-ride deposit requirements seem to suddenly shrink their desire to ride it...

I will say there is nothing else out there quite like it, and the sound is glorious!

Dallara

~

~
Old 12-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #15087
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Have any of you guys owned vstroms in the past? What made you change to the s10?

I'm looking at getting a new bike and I'm researching the s10 and 1100gs.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #15088
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Have any of you guys owned vstroms in the past? What made you change to the s10?

I'm looking at getting a new bike and I'm researching the s10 and 1100gs.
I have one sitting on my porch. But it's my brothers.
However, almost everybody with an S10 came from a Vstrom, FJR, and/or GS
Old 12-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #15089
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
...However, almost everybody with an S10 came from a Vstrom, FJR, and/or GS

You left-out the KLR...

Old 12-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #15090
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Quote:
You left-out the KLR...

We still have our KLR's. :)